RW Matvei Michkov - SKA-1946 St.Petersburg, MHL (2023 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
If he becomes a PPG player in the KHL BEFORE the NHL draft, it'll be pretty generational. And he definitely has potential to become one.
Even in his D+1 it would be never done before, but all signs point to him being in the NHL that year

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think generational is more about the skillset than what they’ve accomplished. A generation is ten years. McDavid was from the 2015 draft. Some said Dahlin was generational in 2018. It’s not that unusual that we might not have a generational player for a few drafts beyond the 2022 and 2023 drafts.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think generational is more about the skillset than what they’ve accomplished. A generation is ten years. McDavid was from the 2015 draft. Some said Dahlin was generational in 2018. It’s not that unusual that we might not have a generational player for a few drafts beyond the 2022 and 2023 drafts.

It's a pretty loose term. Some say 5 years, some say 10, 5 or even 30 years is a generation. A generational player has a different definition though. Some say it's a player that is the clear cut best player in their league for at least 10 years. It's such an odd term to use because its rarely ever the case in hockey that someone is the clear cut best for decade. At least in the modern game.

Reactions: Guttersniped

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
At which point is he going to be deemed a generational talent ?

Russian players playing in Russia are somehow in disadvantage to the term "generational player". Simply because they play in MHL. It is not so followed league and every canadian scout (fans) will say: He isnt playing in CHL leagues and MHL isnt that great.

If he jumps to KHL and will have not so great numbers, they will again point to this.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
What Michkov is doing is unprecedented. Easily my favorite prospect ever, here are some numbers to show just how special he is. It sucks we can’t compare to Ovechkin and Malkin since Russia completely restructured their league system a few years after they were drafted.

His 4.19 P/GP in the U16 league was the best ever, the most comparable season was Andrei Svechnikov who came in at 4.08 P/GP. Worth noting that Svechnikov was ~6 months older then Michkov at the time and also playing in a region that is regarded as weaker.

And here is MHL.

Reactions: koalabear9301

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's a pretty loose term. Some say 5 years, some say 10, 5 or even 30 years is a generation. A generational player has a different definition though. Some say it's a player that is the clear cut best player in their league for at least 10 years. It's such an odd term to use because its rarely ever the case in hockey that someone is the clear cut best for decade. At least in the modern game.

I agree that some construe it loosely and others don't. I'm not suggesting Michkov or Wright might not be considered generational by some. As I said, there was a segment that said Dahlin was generational three years after McDavid. There's certainly a chance that Michkov, Wright or someone else we know about right now is considered a generational player by some or all when they are drafted. But I think we also need to consider that they might just be potential superstars that aren't quite generational. The generational talent(s), even for those that think there could be more than one in a generation, could be coming in 2024, 2025, 2026, or could even be other players in 2021 or 2022 that don't have the same spotlight at this point.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Russian players playing in Russia are somehow in disadvantage to the term "generational player". Simply because they play in MHL. It is not so followed league and every canadian scout (fans) will say: He isnt playing in CHL leagues and MHL isnt that great.

If he jumps to KHL and will have not so great numbers, they will again point to this.

I think Candians respect Russian hockey a lot more than you give us credit for. They're our historically biggest rival and the only other traditional hockey superpower besides Canada. The Canadian and Russian hockey federations work very closely together.

The larger issue (time zone differences aside) is more the concern with Russian players wanting to remain in Russia rather than come to North America to play hockey.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
This guy has gotta make the Russian WJC team, no? He’s vastly out-producing players considered locks for the team at the ripe age of 15 years old.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
18-19 season 19-20 season and this season combined
in every game he has played in.

153 goals, 57 assists, in 81 games.....

200.gif

Reactions: snipes

TheShowBizPizzaBear

Aug 27, 2019
Edmonton
I agree that some construe it loosely and others don't. I'm not suggesting Michkov or Wright might not be considered generational by some. As I said, there was a segment that said Dahlin was generational three years after McDavid. There's certainly a chance that Michkov, Wright or someone else we know about right now is considered a generational player by some or all when they are drafted. But I think we also need to consider that they might just be potential superstars that aren't quite generational. The generational talent(s), even for those that think there could be more than one in a generation, could be coming in 2024, 2025, 2026, or could even be other players in 2021 or 2022 that don't have the same spotlight at this point.
Don't forget about Connor Bedard in 2023!

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
This guy has gotta make the Russian WJC team, no? He’s vastly out-producing players considered locks for the team at the ripe age of 15 years old.
Whaaaaat? He's fantastic, but he's not outproducing Podkolzin, Chinakhov or Amirov. They in another league (KHL) :). He's outproducing some players like Khusnutdinov, Spiridonov etc. They are in the mix for rosters spots, but no locks in any way. Different position also. It's harder to make team Russia as a winger, than as a center.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Whaaaaat? He's fantastic, but he's not outproducing Podkolzin, Chinakhov or Amirov. They in another league (KHL) :). He's outproducing some players like Khusnutdinov, Spiridonov etc. They are in the mix for rosters spots, but no locks in any way. Different position also. It's harder to make team Russia as a winger, than as a center.

Ummmm...he is thou....

If Podkolzin doesn't start, to actually produce..
i don't see why, would Russian Hockey Fed choose him to the WJC.

He has his obvious abilities, but wouldn't you rather
choose the players, who can actually help you win the gold?.

Podkolzin's abilities are super nice but...he wouldn't
be playing in the top 6 if he was in the WJC thou, at least that's how i see it.
- there are 6 far better (offensively) young, u20 Russian forwards what Podkolzin.

Not that i actually believe Michkov is going to get picked,
he might, i would, but probably won't.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Uhhhm, no. That would be an exageration. The fact that he is doing it all as a triple underager for the WJC is more than impressive. You probably just forget the actual locks for the WJC team play in the KHL and some of them are producing just fine there. That is still a a level Michkov is not on. He might look better than some bottom 6 options talent-wise, but he has no business being a bottom 6 option. Better to wait a year and give him the role he is suited for.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Ummmm...he is thou....

be playing in the top 6 if he was in the WJC thou, at least that's how i see it.
- there are 6 far better (offensively) young, u20 Russian forwards what Podkolzin.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Podkolzin is hitting men, stealing pucks from them, backchecking on par with the best in the KHL. And at the WJC he will get points left and right against weaker opposition. He is A LOCK top line player for the WJC.

I see through your plot. You want to weaken the russian team.:sarcasm:

Btw, would you mind to entertain us with a list of 6 better forwards for the WJC squad?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think it's misleading to suggest he's outproducing guys that will be on the team. Most of the players that will be on the team are in the KHL or VHL, much harder leagues to score in. What players is he outproducing within the MHL that will be on the team?

He'll probably be there next year. No reason he needs to be there this year.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
It'll be much more interesting with WJC U18. McDavid played at the tournament as 16 yo and became MVP, Michkov will be just 1 month older, than McDavid was. Of course, if the tournament happens at all.

Reactions: snipes

hot donut

Oct 7, 2020
Ummmm...he is thou....

Podkolzin is a lock for Team Russia and almost certainly will also get the C. As for Michkov, I doubt there will be serious consideration, even with Bragin no longer running the ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad