RW Matvei Michkov - SKA-1946 St.Petersburg, MHL (2023 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yeah, I don’t see Michkov playing at the WJC this year either as a triple underager. Even McDavid didn’t make it until he was a double underager.

Michkov needs to start at the U18s (hopefully they’ll be on this year).

The competition, especially Canada v Russia at U20 level are very physical affairs as everyone knows how big the historical hockey rivalry is between these two nations. His body doesn’t look ready for that level of competition yet. Skills might be there but physically he’s still a young boy, he needs time to grow.

It’s not a knock on him, just there’s a huge difference playing against 19 year olds when the bullets are live on the smaller ice. The last thing the hockey world needs is this prodigy getting injured, he’s probably the best Russian and possibly European forward prospect ever at the same age.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Michkov just had the most outrageous play that should have been an assist but Ivantsov missed an open net. Through the legs dangle into traffic.

now he got his assist

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Michkov just had the most outrageous play that should have been an assist but Ivantsov missed an open net. Through the legs dangle into traffic.

now he got his assist

Yeah, it could be such a beauty, heh.

Here is the assist

He's playing with Ivantsov and Gurzanov, btw, he never played with before, and still he's the best player on the ice. Of course, he sometimes makes childish mistakes, but his skill level is just crazy high.

Last edited:

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
For the record, I think Michkov is easily good enough for the Russian WJC squad, he’d be good too. But Russia rarely use younger players so I don’t expect him to get picked.

Reactions: MrGeno101

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
Yeah, it could be such a beauty, heh.

Here is the assist

He's playing with Ivantsov and Gurzanov, btw, he never played with before, and still he's the best player on the ice. Of course, he sometimes makes childish mistakes, but his skill level is just crazy high.

Looks like they play mostly with Ska-Varyagi players at this game

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
For the record, I think Michkov is easily good enough for the Russian WJC squad, he’d be good too. But Russia rarely use younger players so I don’t expect him to get picked.

Larionov may favor a younger team. We'll see.

That said, Michkov is way too young. If he was born a month later he'd technically be a quadruple underager (2005).
Innate talent only goes so far for someone that young. Physical/mental maturity, experience, discipline, poise, etc, are just as important, and are attributes that generally only come with age.

Last edited:

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
Larionov may favor a younger team. We'll see.

That said, Michkov is way too young. If he was born a month later he'd technically be a quadruple underager (2005).
Innate talent only goes so far for someone that young. Physical/mental maturity, experience, discipline, poise, etc, are just as important, and are attributes that generally only come with age.
When we talk about WJC chances, we should not forget that he is quite small. He is not Ovechkin who was a young man at 16, he is just a boy, but there are a lot of physically mature men at WJC

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
When we talk about WJC chances, we should not forget that he is quite small. He is not Ovechkin who was a young man at 16, he is just a boy, but there are a lot of physically mature men at WJC

And don't forget that he's not a great skater either. It'd be easier if he skated like McDavid to play against that level of competition at his age.

Reactions: bagsw

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
And don't forget that he's not a great skater either. It'd be easier if he skated like McDavid to play against that level of competition at his age.
What? He’s a fantastic skater. High end balance, edgework, agility and lateral movement. Stop confusing ”skating” with ”speed”. By the way, he’s not exactly slow either.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
What? He’s a fantastic skater. High end balance, edgework, agility and lateral movement. Stop confusing ”skating” with ”speed”. By the way, he’s not exactly slow either.

Yeah, his agility, balance and edge work are elite, but his speed isn't. Especially acceleration. That's why he has problems, playing vs big and mobile defensemen.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
And don't forget that he's not a great skater either.

That's why he has problems

devitonope.gif

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

He's also only 15 playing against players 4 + years older not everyone can be a burner at this age playing at this level. He's is still very raw physically.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He's also only 15 playing against players 4 + years older not everyone can be a burner at this age playing at this level. He's is still very raw physically.

Yeah, I think, he'll get some muscles and add explosiveness and speed. I mean, those 100 meter runners look like bodybuilders not just because they love to look beefy.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
So he isn't on Russia U17 roster, while other MHLers are... They will play at President of Belarus Sport Club's Cup in Minsk vs Russia U16, Belarus U17 and Belarus U18.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Sports Illustrated just did a story on him, not often they go that detail on hockey stories.

Meet the next great Russian phenom

Saw that a couple days ago.

Seems like a pretty good, hard working kid too. He'll be fun to watch in the coming years. Like many generational talents before him, he became known to the hockey world around 14-15 years old. Kid has legitimate skill and hockey instincts that are somewhat God given for lack of a better English term.

Looking forward to his eventual hockey pilgrimage to Canada, I imagine beyond the U-17s, U-18s, Jr. A Challenge, etc. he'll be brought over for the Canada v Russia annual CHL November Super Series before he gets to taste the U-20 WJC level hockey.

Reactions: wetcoast

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He didn't look great in the last 2 games. Some flashes of his signature moves and a lot of not very good plays. Still, he scored a point in OT today.

No chemistry with his new linemates (Invantsov and Gursanov) as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad