RW Matvei Michkov - SKA-1946 St.Petersburg, MHL (2023 Draft) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Would they? Malkin went right after Ovechkin, but hypothetically if Malkin had gone 1, and Ovechkin with a three year further KHL contract is an option at 2, but you instead go with Blake Wheeler, who went 5 in that draft. Are you getting fired for selecting a worse player who still will score 1000 points in the NHL? And all of this is hypothetical. The alternative at 2 to Michkov may not have the career of Wheeler, but there’s also a very good chance Michkov doesn’t have the career of Ovechkin.

You're not getting fired until Ovechkin starts in the NHL, but you'll regret it forever after that point. That's more than enough reason to wait. I'll acknowledge some uncertainty on whether Michkov will be a talent of that magnitude, but at the time of the draft he likely safely projects to elite and I really doubt anyone would pass on him for Fantilli/Yager/Dvorsky etc...

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yes and after he joins the NHL that GM's memory will be damned for eternity.

Will it? What if he has a successful team and the player he picked at 2 is a big reason for that?

I don’t view it as that straightforward. There are many layers to this debate. I don’t think everyone is taking the guy who can’t play for another three years, which is why I think there is a chance Michkov will drop a few spots. If he’s not significantly better than the other options, it might be many spots.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Would they? Malkin went right after Ovechkin. But hypothetically if Malkin had gone 1, and Ovechkin with a three year further KHL contract is an option at 2, and you instead go with Blake Wheeler, who went 5 in that draft. Are you getting fired for selecting a worse player who still will score 1000 points in the NHL? And all of this is hypothetical. The alternative at 2 to Michkov may not have the career of Wheeler, but there’s also a very good chance Michkov doesn’t have the career of Ovechkin.
Chances are whoever is there behind Bedard and Michkov will not nearly have the ceareer they will. As in being essential to a team turnaround and one or multiple cup wins. Guys like Wheeler don't do that while they might get close to 1000pts.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Chances are whoever is there behind Bedard and Michkov will not nearly have the ceareer they will. As in being essential to a team turnaround and one or multiple cup wins. Guys like Wheeler don't do that while they might get close to 1000pts.

We don’t disagree. I’m merely saying that I’m not sure anyone is getting that mad about getting a very good player, even if you pass up on acquiring an elite player. Not every draft choice is about which player is better. If it’s McDavid compared to Dylan Strome, it’s not that hard of a choice. A GM could be fired for passing up on McDavid and taking Strome. If you take Eichel and passed up on McDavid, you got the worse player, but are you firing the GM when you get Eichel three seasons earlier?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Exactly. If a GM can lose his job and he doesn't pick Michkov as 2nd OA, he'll be fired the next day.

Of course we are assuming that Michov and Bedard keep the huge gap they have on the field right now but that's something we really don't know yet.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
After the game he thanked the coaching staff for skating him in the first line.

Reactions: abo9

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Bedard needs to leave kids Hockey and sign in CSKA and then follow Michkov to the NHL and make this the most epic rivalry in the history of Hockey. :laugh:

Side note, what's the reason behind number #39? Might as well start the Jersey sales now lol.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
They are becoming older and older, but the gap isn't becoming less huge.

The thing is that we don't know yet how some of these other prospects are going to develop.

There could very well be someone or a couple of guys who close the gap here a bit.

I mean there is a consensus 1 and 2 (or top 2 players)

Maybe Adam Fantilli is 3rd but many will have different guys 3rd now and some of them will get better and close the gap...... at least that's the way it works on HF Boards...lol

I personally think the 1,2 will stay but the gap to 3rd is an unkown.

Reactions: hellwar9

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Michkov doesn't look out of place in the KHL. Yeah, it's way harder for him to play vs defensemen, because they are faster and bigger, than juniors, but he processes the game very good. He rarely does mistakes and seems like always has a plan what to do next. He just sees the game better, than many KHL veterans. I'm pretty sure he'll beat Tarasenko's 10 points, which as far as I remember is a scoring record for 16 year olds in the KHL.

Reactions: MrGeno101

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
My hope for him is that he doesn’t get Savoie’d and teams target him . More specifically, I hope he can hold up physically

Reactions: BMann

LetsGoFlyers12

Jan 19, 2017
Does anybody has a list of players who played at least 10 games in the KHL during their draft -1 season? The only 2 players i could remember were Tarasenko and Kabanov.

Very excited to see what Michkov can do this season

Reactions: bagsw
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad