RW Matvei Michkov - SKA-1946 St.Petersburg, MHL (2023 Draft) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
I'm actually not sure. His contract isn't that big. I think it's about bonuses. So buying it out won't be very expensive.
Nah, in the last 2 years he will make almost 2 times more than in the first 3. I don't expect bonuses will be that big and he will be able to do it.
And the idea of paying for a privilege to play in the NHL out of his own pocket sounds dumb to me. Can't imagine him being partial to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trojans86

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Nah, in the last 2 years he will make almost 2 times more than in the first 3. I don't expect bonuses will be that big and he will be able to do it.
And the idea of paying for a privilege to play in the NHL out of his own pocket sounds dumb to me. Can't imagine him being partial to it.

Yeah, he'll be making about $500k/year. I mean salary of course.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

His shoulders look comically tiny, but his neck and legs look tree strong. Very interesting stature. I wonder if this is part of his specialness. And yes, he looked like he can at least hold his own physically in the KHL pre-season. That alone is impressive at 16.

Reactions: vorky

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If he will stay in Russia until 25/26, he will be still only 21 years old. And ready to explode. Not bad, if you think about it.

That alone is going to prevent him from being the #1 pick in 23 (assuming Bedard stays on the same progression many expect).

The only question then is how far he might fall if not available for several years ?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
That alone is going to prevent him from being the #1 pick in 23 (assuming Bedard stays on the same progression many expect).

The only question then is how far he might fall if not available for several years ?
He wont fall below #2 unless a 3rd guy turns up who's on the level of Bedard and Michkov.

Waiting a couple of years for franchise/generational player is really not a big deal for a team that was bad enough to get the #2 pick

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Exactly, if the GM with #2 overall in 2023 is on the hot seat they might not be there in 3 years to reap the benefits of Michkov, so they could consider someone else.

Exactly. If a GM can lose his job and he doesn't pick Michkov as 2nd OA, he'll be fired the next day.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
He wont fall below #2 unless a 3rd guy turns up who's on the level of Bedard and Michkov.

Waiting a couple of years for franchise/generational player is really not a big deal for a team that was bad enough to get the #2 pick

Theres a certain risk reward that needs to be weighed. Would you take Kaprizov #2 overall over someone like Marner if you knew you had to wait a couple years? Alot can happen

Reactions: wetcoast

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
NHL teams are not. But how are you going to proceed if say an owner pays out of his own private money stash? Technically he can do whatever he wants with it.

There was just a story that the Jackets offered to pay Voronkov's buyout, and Kazan had to persuade him to stay. It seems like NHL teams can?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
NHL teams are not. But how are you going to proceed if say an owner pays out of his own private money stash? Technically he can do whatever he wants with it.

Or he can take a loan in a bank with said owner as a guarantor. Or... I bet, there are other variants as well.

The main question is, will Michkov agree to do this. His KHL salary isn't big, but bonuses can be huge. It's enough for him to win just one Gagarin Cup as the major contributor to the success, and he can potentially earn more money, than for 3 ELC years even with A bonuses (i.e. making $3M/year). For each scoring title he wins he can get unlimited money, because the bonus doesn't count against the cap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Atas2000

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Exactly. If a GM can lose his job and he doesn't pick Michkov as 2nd OA, he'll be fired the next day.

But it doesn’t work that way. Michkov may be the better player, but the players right behind him will also be very good. And they will have a chance to prove themselves in the NHL earlier. Nothing Michkov does before he gets to the NHL is going to be enough to get anyone that upset about not choosing him. A GM certainly won’t be fired for not choosing Michkov 2OA until he proves himself in the NHL. The KHL is the second best league in the world, but NHL teams don’t give it that much respect.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
There was just a story that the Jackets offered to pay Voronkov's buyout, and Kazan had to persuade him to stay. It seems like NHL teams can?
Just as I wrote. How are you going to control it? The NHL might not be able to pay from their official bank account, but there are a dozen ways to go around it. Just as @Kshahdoo poited out. The player can take out a loan. Who the hell cares who backs it up?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
But it doesn’t work that way. Michkov may be the better player, but the players right behind him will also be very good. And they will have a chance to prove themselves in the NHL earlier. Nothing Michkov does before he gets to the NHL is going to be enough to get anyone that upset about not choosing him. A GM certainly won’t be fired for not choosing Michkov 2OA until he proves himself in the NHL. The KHL is the second best league in the world, but NHL teams don’t give it that much respect.
I can imagine a guy who would not have drafted Ovechkin while he could would be under fire for decades.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Just as I wrote. How are you going to control it? The NHL might not be able to pay from their official bank account, but there are a dozen ways to go around it. Just as @Kshahdoo poited out. The player can take out a loan. Who the hell cares who backs it up?

NHL teams have to do everything through official expense accounts, so it could not be hidden if they were paying a KHL buyout or backing it up in any way. So if it is against the KHL rules, I do not see how the Jackets could have paid Voronkov's buyout. They wouldn't have to persuade Dima, they could just say that is against the rules and keep him.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I can imagine a guy who would not have drafted Ovechkin while he could would be under fire for decades.

Would they? Malkin went right after Ovechkin. But hypothetically if Malkin had gone 1, and Ovechkin with a three year further KHL contract is an option at 2, and you instead go with Blake Wheeler, who went 5 in that draft. Are you getting fired for selecting a worse player who still will score 1000 points in the NHL? And all of this is hypothetical. The alternative at 2 to Michkov may not have the career of Wheeler, but there’s also a very good chance Michkov doesn’t have the career of Ovechkin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad