RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin - SKA St.Petersburg, KHL (2019, 10th, VAN) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020
Huh? I'm American. I'm well aware of what crap sports journalism is. What you posted was basically an opinion piece supported with rudimentary facts any 10 year old can obtain with a google search. Nothing insightful. Just echo-chamber stuff used to promote a message, or for clicks. Sadly, this is what passes for 90% of media nowadays.

Sorry dude, I feel terrible that I translated an article from French (which most Americans are naturally fluent in) then posted on here in the hopes that someone might find it marginally interesting. I've clearly ruined your day and triggered the more educated KHL obeservers on this forum.

I'll repost some Russian echo chamber journalism below sure to piss everybody off...sorry eh!
ProstoProSport: Larionov, even before the Karjala Cup, entrusted Podkolzin with the captain's patch and said that he knew how to unleash the potential of Podkolzin. As a result, the guy proved to be an ideal captain: he created chances alone, scored a goal and, in a chic style, put the decisive shootout to the Swedes, while distributing four assists for the entire tournament. After the Karjala Cup, no one had any doubts that Podkolzin was a real leader, and his problems were caused by the specifics of the club system. Fortunately, Vasily's contract with SKA ends after this season.

Podkolzin (in Russian): “In the national team I play more, of course, I play in the majority, I am constantly in the rhythm of the game. It was like that in SKA too, but at some point I didn't succeed in everything, and I began to play less. Hockey is the same everywhere, but in this team I play more freely. We need to transfer this game to the club, I hope that the Karjala Cup will give me a boost”.- Lev Lukin, the correspondent of“ Championship ”.​

Reactions: CanuckCity

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
sorry to say this again but...

In the KHL among U21 year olds Podkolzin is this season

10th in points (6 in 23 games)
20th in goals (2 in 23 games)
24th in points per game (0.26 ppg)

And magically, he is supposed to be a top 6, top 9 winger from the get go, this next season on (the most common opinion),
for a team that is a play-offs team in the NHL. (future contender) - i mean... he doesn't even have an NHL contract yet
and he is supposed to jump from the KHL 4th line, to the NHL 1st, 2nd or 3rd line??? how???

A HEAD SCTRACHER

I'm not sure why this keeps bothering you. Podkolzin made very clear pre-draft he will spend two more years in Russia before signing. Signing players to NHL ELCs doesn't work the same way in Russia as it does in the CHL. I can't say I'm the biggest fan of Podkolzin either and in all honesty have a feeling he's going to have a career similar to another Russian 10th overall pick Valeri Nichushkin, but you're focusing on all the wrong things here.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Sorry dude, I feel terrible that I translated an article from French (which most Americans are naturally fluent in) then posted on here in the hopes that someone might find it marginally interesting. I've clearly ruined your day and triggered the more educated KHL obeservers on this forum.

I'll repost some Russian echo chamber journalism below sure to piss everybody off...sorry eh!
ProstoProSport: Larionov, even before the Karjala Cup, entrusted Podkolzin with the captain's patch and said that he knew how to unleash the potential of Podkolzin. As a result, the guy proved to be an ideal captain: he created chances alone, scored a goal and, in a chic style, put the decisive shootout to the Swedes, while distributing four assists for the entire tournament. After the Karjala Cup, no one had any doubts that Podkolzin was a real leader, and his problems were caused by the specifics of the club system. Fortunately, Vasily's contract with SKA ends after this season.

Podkolzin (in Russian): “In the national team I play more, of course, I play in the majority, I am constantly in the rhythm of the game. It was like that in SKA too, but at some point I didn't succeed in everything, and I began to play less. Hockey is the same everywhere, but in this team I play more freely. We need to transfer this game to the club, I hope that the Karjala Cup will give me a boost”.- Lev Lukin, the correspondent of“ Championship ”.​
I have been following Russian hockey media for over a decade. And it still amazes me how some posters are able to find the hockey websites which I am not familiar with. That says a lot.

I have just looked at ProstoProSport. Their hockey section is heavily pro-NHL, it says a lot as well.

Please, do not make fun of us who have been following Russian hockey scene for many years.

Reactions: Atas2000

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020
I have been following Russian hockey media for over a decade. And it still amazes me how some posters are able to find the hockey websites which I am not familiar with. That says a lot.

I have just looked at ProstoProSport. Their hockey section is heavily pro-NHL, it says a lot as well.

Please, do not make fun of us who have been following Russian hockey scene for many years.

My apologies Vorky, I honestly appreciate your perspective.....but the Canucks dont need SKA's help effng-up the development of their highly skilled prospects. The Canucks have already ruined many NHL careers, especially highly skilled European players... just ask Goldobin, or Baertschi, or Jonathan Dalhen, or Petrus Palmu or Anton Rodin etc.

Rufus T Firefly

Jul 8, 2020
I thought he played well again today. Real nice play on the goal. I thought he was going to shoot it, and was almost upset he choose to pass it back across until it ended up in the net :laugh: He had another chance when he took it from the outside to try to stuff it short side on the goalie. Ortio stopped it, but it was good to see him stop partly behind the net and try to push it in, instead of just continuing to skate behind the net. Nose for the goal there. When he gets stronger he's going to be a handful every time he drives to the net. He also played on the penalty kill in the 3rd when SKA was up by one, getting a defensive vote of confidence from Bragin :thumbu: Sacrificed the body as well with some blocks. Again, it was a very solid game from him.

It's kind of weird, but he reminds me a little bit of like a Sam Bennett - Getzlaf cross (please feel free to rip this to shreds if it's way wrong :laugh:). Stylistically, he has Getzlaf's kind of big-man-hunched-over skating style, leadership and that set-up man mentality. I think his floor is kind of what Bennett is now for the Flames: excels in the tighter games of the playoffs, is a chaotic force on the forecheck and a handful for other team's defensemen, can play up and down the line-up in various roles, has that potential big-time skill. I just hope he reaches that potential that Bennett never really lived up to.

His game is pretty well suited to NA, so I think he'll do fine once he goes over, but I'd like to see his offense develop a little more and think another year in the KHL would help that more than working that out in the NHL or AHL. He still seems pretty raw there and usually those players don't go on to be big offensive players in the NHL if they don't first develop those offensive instincts outside the NHL (at least as far as I can recall, but feel free to prove me wrong).

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020
I thought he played well again today. Real nice play on the goal. I thought he was going to shoot it, and was almost upset he choose to pass it back across until it ended up in the net :laugh: He had another chance when he took it from the outside to try to stuff it short side on the goalie. Ortio stopped it, but it was good to see him stop partly behind the net and try to push it in, instead of just continuing to skate behind the net. Nose for the goal there. When he gets stronger he's going to be a handful every time he drives to the net. He also played on the penalty kill in the 3rd when SKA was up by one, getting a defensive vote of confidence from Bragin :thumbu: Sacrificed the body as well with some blocks. Again, it was a very solid game from him.

It's kind of weird, but he reminds me a little bit of like a Sam Bennett - Getzlaf cross (please feel free to rip this to shreds if it's way wrong :laugh:). Stylistically, he has Getzlaf's kind of big-man-hunched-over skating style, leadership and that set-up man mentality. I think his floor is kind of what Bennett is now for the Flames: excels in the tighter games of the playoffs, is a chaotic force on the forecheck and a handful for other team's defensemen, can play up and down the line-up in various roles, has that potential big-time skill. I just hope he reaches that potential that Bennett never really lived up to.

His game is pretty well suited to NA, so I think he'll do fine once he goes over, but I'd like to see his offense develop a little more and think another year in the KHL would help that more than working that out in the NHL or AHL. He still seems pretty raw there and usually those players don't go on to be big offensive players in the NHL if they don't first develop those offensive instincts outside the NHL (at least as far as I can recall, but feel free to prove me wrong).

Great read Rufus !! Good points on development....Podkolzin just needs top6 minutes with offensive players and some power play time too. If he can get that in the K...great...but the Canucks might be pencilling Podkolzin's name next to Horvat and/or Pettersson for the 2021/22 season...

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006

I really want to see him in our room with north Americans/Swedes, I wonder how Russian leadership looks like with all the cultural differences. Does he possess a more Datsyuk/Sedin type quiet demonstrative leadership? or Ovechkin/Messier rah-rah type? a mix like Toews/Landeskog? While we are not short on leaders in the room with Miller and Edler. THe younger core could use an emotional leader for sure.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
K...great...but the Canucks might be pencilling Podkolzin's name next to Horvat and/or Pettersson for the 2021/22 season...

If the Canucks Pencil him in next to Horvat Or Pettersson then so be it. We will not do anything to jeopardize the team or Podkolzins development. the team will do what's best for the team and the player long run. If it looks like He's not working out well with either linemate at some point we will put him with different line mates. If it looks like he's not NHL ready we will send him down. If we feel he is ready to play in the NHL as a 4th line player but not worthy of AHL ice time he will stick around the NHL like how we handled Ryan Kesler originally, or Jake Virtanen. At this point it's in our hands what happens with Podkolzin and whatever happens the Canucks will face the consequences. Like who the hell are you guys to say what's best for him.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Strange that he's skating towards the corner after making that play. Looks like something Jake would get flamed for. He doesn't seem very bright around the net
One play he goes off to the corner = No very bright?
He should stay and drive absolutely, but seems really nitpicky.

Something Green was trying to smash into Goldobin when he was in Vancouver, But unfortunately he never got it.

Last edited:

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
sorry to say this again but...

In the KHL among U21 year olds Podkolzin is this season

10th in points (6 in 23 games)
20th in goals (2 in 23 games)
24th in points per game (0.26 ppg)

And magically, he is supposed to be a top 6, top 9 winger from the get go, this next season on (the most common opinion),
for a team that is a play-offs team in the NHL. (future contender) - i mean... he doesn't even have an NHL contract yet
and he is supposed to jump from the KHL 4th line, to the NHL 1st, 2nd or 3rd line??? how???

A HEAD SCTRACHER

I have absolutely zero problem with people criticizing prospects with good takes, and respectful back and fourth's between individuals.
The amount of times I disliked a prospect (Brady Tkachuk) Yet after watching him significantly over the years I suddenly started to really like his game. Giving Praise when they deserve it means a hell of a lot more than criticizing them when they don't.
That being said, It really said a lot of your "Analysis" When you were nowhere to be found when he dominated the tournament a few weeks ago.

It's actually quite incredible how stat watching is important when he does average, Yet when he performs, suddenly stats don't matter.
Intriguing.

It's clear as day he has all the tools to be a Top 6 forward in the NHL.
If you care so much about stats, imagine what he would do with proper playing time, and being on the 1st PP unit.
Let's not forget, Pod is not on the Top Power Play in the KHL right now.

I have watched a stupid amount of hockey over the last 20+ Years, and it's just incredibly easy to see when a prospect is a fit or not for the NHL.

Pod has literally everything you need in a Top 6/9 NHL Player.
He is a Strong (Strength, see Horvat) skater (awkward tho for sure).
He has good hockey sense and awareness
Good Puck control
He plays the body extremely well
He has grit and tenacity
And he is a talented Playmaker more than a shooter that many people beloved he is.

The guy is literally made for smaller rinks, He is gonna turn heads when he comes over in NA.
He might not "Dominate" But he will be a force, I have no doubt.

Last edited:

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I have absolutely zero problem with people criticizing prospects with good takes, and respectful back and fourth's between individuals.
The amount of times I disliked a prospect (Brady Tkachuk) Yet after watching him significantly over the years I suddenly started to really like his game. Giving Praise when they deserve it means a hell of a lot more than criticizing them when they don't.
That being said, It really said a lot of your "Analysis" When you were nowhere to be found when he dominated the tournament a few weeks ago.

It's actually quite incredible how stat watching is important when he does average, Yet when he performs, suddenly stats don't matter.
Intriguing.

It's clear as day he has all the tools to be a Top 6 forward in the NHL.
If you care so much about stats, imagine what he would do with proper playing time, and being on the 1st PP unit.
Let's not forget, Pod is not on the Top Power Play in the KHL right now.

I have watched a stupid amount of hockey over the last 20+ Years, and it's just incredibly easy to see when a prospect is a fit or not for the NHL.

Pod has literally everything you need in a Top 6/9 NHL Player.
He is a Strong (Strength, see Horvat) skater (awkward tho for sure).
He has good hockey sense and awareness
Good Puck control
He plays the body extremely well
He has grit and tenacity
And he is a talented Playmaker more than a shooter that many people beloved he is.

Not really. An nhler, sure.

Top 6? That's entirely yet to be seen.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Not really. An nhler, sure.

Top 6? That's entirely yet to be seen.
I already explained it in Length, People are discrediting his offensive talent due to the Warped KHL Situation.
I have said it countless times before, Yet I will say it again.
Put him on the top line, give him top PP time, And play the guy at least 15-17 Minutes a game (Sorry no Covid games, He is averaging less than 11 right now).
And he would produce exactly at a level people would be expected.

Again tho, We can't exactly go back in time and prove this theory, All we can do is wait until he goes to the AHL or plays in the NHL a few years to see exactly what I believe he will be.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I already explained it in Length, People are discrediting his offensive talent due to the Warped KHL Situation.
I have said it countless times before, Yet I will say it again.
Put him on the top line, give him top PP time, And play the guy at least 15-17 Minutes a game (Sorry no Covid games, He is averaging less than 11 right now).
And he would produce exactly at a level people would be expected.

Again tho, We can't exactly go back in time and prove this theory, All we can do is wait until he goes to the AHL or plays in the NHL a few years to see exactly what I believe he will be.

I just don't see it. (at the moment)
- i know, my opinion

His skating is at top level, his 200 foot (or defensive) game is at top level, however.....
his offensive zone hockey IQ is poor and his shot is even worse.

Has some size, is strong as a bull, skating is right there, knows how to play defense
but basically, zero offensive instinct for offensive production at pro level.

My prediction; (if he does find an NHL career for himself)
3rd or 4th line defensive/2 way forward, scores 5-10 goals and 20-30 points a season (20 as 4th, 30 as 3rd)
in a full 82 game season, always a double digit + player thou.
- career high might get as high as 15-20 goals and 40+ points, in which, he might win a Selke

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020
I just don't see it. (at the moment)
- i know, my opinion

His skating is at top level, his 200 foot (or defensive) game is at top level, however.....
his offensive zone hockey IQ is poor and his shot is even worse.

Has some size, is strong as a bull, skating is right there, knows how to play defense
but basically, zero offensive instinct for offensive production at pro level.

My prediction; (if he does find an NHL career for himself)
3rd or 4th line defensive/2 way forward, scores 5-10 goals and 20-30 points a season (20 as 4th, 30 as 3rd)
in a full 82 game season, always a double digit + player thou.
- career high might get as high as 15-20 goals and 40+ points, in which, he might win a Selke

The "Leafer" might be right, Podkolzin looked terrible offensively when he lead the Karjala in points.
Even at last years WJC his offensive IQ wasnt smart enough for his linemates to finish as evident in video below.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Top six forward imo on Horvat’s wing. May start on the third line when he comes over to the Canucks this spring. He looks NHL ready and should transition seamlessly.

Reactions: Deezone

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
The "Leafer" might be right, Podkolzin looked terrible offensively when he lead the Karjala in points.
Even at last years WJC his offensive IQ wasnt smart enough for his linemates to finish as evident in video below.

This video encapsulates everything. His vision is awesome and he is very quick with his decisions. He is like a slick winger with a pass-first mentality and upside in almost all areas.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls

Jesus if those feeds were going to Pettersson or Miller . . . :popcorn:

Reactions: Deezone
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad