RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin - SKA St.Petersburg, KHL (2019, 10th, VAN) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020
More box scoring watching for Geroge. All of SKA's goals came on the PP or as the PP expired. Podkolzin doesn't play on the PP.

Bragin refuses to put Podkolzin on the power-play and thats where SKA generates their points. Podkolzin needs to sign a contract extension to get that PP time.

But fear not, after Podkolzin has dished out his saucy feeds to Elias Pettersson for 2 years...he'll be signing a $7mil (x7 yrs) contract extension in Vancouver... :D

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The point isn't the amount of icetime, it's the type of usage. It's all over the place. Van fans are worried about the consistency of his usage. 4th line one day, 1st the next, then benched, then ?? I don't think he's being ruined, but is being constantly bounced around best for his development? That is certainly questionable.
That certainly isn't. And he was never on the 4th line. He played what people call 4th line minutes. Not the same thing. And his usage suites his versatilty very well. He is a player who can play everything from PK to PP.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
No need to get upset - just a question. Players sometimes play their off wings.
As a Leafs fan you might be aware what position and on which line Amirov played for the NT recently. They basically never played together except on PP. Therefore you question was quite odd.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
As a Leafs fan you might be aware what position and on which line Amirov played for the NT recently. They basically never played together except on PP. Therefore you question was quite odd.
As a Leafs fan I am aware of Amirov's position. I am unfamiliar with what position Podkolzin plays (the thread title says LW/RW).

Are you the question police?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
As a Leafs fan I am aware of Amirov's position. I am unfamiliar with what position Podkolzin plays (the thread title says LW/RW).

Are you the question police?
Okay, if you want me to be...

You did not ask which position or which lines the players will be playing. You go straight to asking whether the players will be split. And no need to get defensive. I answered your question. I was just surprised you assume they should be on the same line for whatever reason.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
That's a good point actually, Pod never plays the PP, this is a big reason for the lack of points on top of his playing time.
In the AHL/NHL he will get PP time absolutely, for the NHL on 2nd unit since Canucks top 6 is pretty light.
And in the AHL on the top PP unit.

Reactions: bh53

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
That certainly isn't. And he was never on the 4th line. He played what people call 4th line minutes. Not the same thing. And his usage suites his versatilty very well. He is a player who can play everything from PK to PP.
So he's a top 9 forward, and versatile enough to play any role, but gets benched.

He was playing well and consistent down the stretch and through the playoffs last year, while not getting benched. His production has taken a step back from where he was, and he's being benched here and there. We should be at least mildly concerned, and yes, we have good cause to question it. You can disagree, but you aren't an authority on the matter - and I'm far from the only one that thinks he may be better served elsewhere.

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020
Les Canucks doivent espérer rapatrier Vasili Podkolzin le plus rapidement possible
Canucks must hope to repatriate Vasili Podkolzin as soon as possible... (translated from French)

Since the beginning of the fall period, several young prospects have been playing in leagues in the form of a loan. By way of example, Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Liiga), Raphael Lavoie (Allsvenskan), Evan Bouchard (Allsvenskan), Klim Kostin (KHL) and many more are all expected to return home as soon as the NHL decides to launch its activities with the training camps. However, on the KHL side precisely, we must start not to like what we see at the SKA of St. Petersburg within the organization of the Vancouver Canucks.

Vasili Podkolzin is not currently under contract with the Canucks, but the arrival of the 1st round pick in 2019 seems imminent for the 2021 season. On the other hand, his place is by no means won within the roster, especially when 'We rely on his KHL outfit at the moment. Indeed, Podkolzin has only accumulated six points in 22 games so far. An inglorious performance, I agree, but having seen him in action at the Karjala Cup, with adequate playing time, the Russian remains a dominant player who will be pleasant to see develop in North America.
Any concerns to be there?

Should the Canucks be worried about his anemic production? Not at all. Having said that, if I was in Jim Benning's chair, I would seriously start to look forward to training camp. Let's say the World Junior Championship will help Podkolzin's cause. Recently, we told you that Podkolzin was compared to a young Marc Messier at the same age by his junior coach. The latter is none other than Igor Larionov. He often had good words with the young Russian and it is this same coach who gave Podkolzin a very good playing time in the Karjala Cup. Fortunately, this will also be the case at the 2021 World Junior Championship.

However, when he returns to KHL, the yo-yo game begins. The Russian professional league is clearly not a development league and right now Podkolzin would benefit a lot more from being in the Canucks' organization than with the SKA, which is constantly juggling its use. Unfortunately, COVID obliges, the attacker came back like a hair on the soup when we had already prepared for his departure. Thus, his role changes every match. Sometimes used on the first offensive unit while other times, it is the bleachers that host the 10th pick of the 2019 auction, the 20-year-old must get more regular playing time in order to maintain his achievements in sight from the Canucks camp.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
So he's a top 9 forward, and versatile enough to play any role, but gets benched.

He was playing well and consistent down the stretch and through the playoffs last year, while not getting benched. His production has taken a step back from where he was, and he's being benched here and there. We should be at least mildly concerned, and yes, we have good cause to question it. You can disagree, but you aren't an authority on the matter - and I'm far from the only one that thinks he may be better served elsewhere.

He is a versatile 19 year old forward who looks like a monster and a leader among his peers on the U20 team, but is yet to be consistently effective in the KHL and thus is not deployed as a 1st line regular, but gets games off(like many others on the team) and playes limited minutes. And it never ever happens int the NHL with young players of course!:sarcasm:

"He was playing well and consistent down the stretch and through the playoffs last year, while not getting benched. " You are trying to turn the logic inside out. He played well last season and he will have as much success this season because development is stricktly linear, right?:sarcasm: How about he gets less minutes because he does not score left and right and not the other way round? This irrational "thinking" of Vancouver fans fired up by their hype-media is annoying. Somehow he is declared NHL-ready and a superstar just because and everybody who thinks otherwise is just a part of a huge conspiracy to not give the U20 NT captain icetime in the KHL. Again, it never ever happened in the NHL that icetime is given to players who perform better and not the other way round. Marchenko is a year older, he is further in his development, he gets more icetime. Why is there no conspiracy against Marchenko?

"but you aren't an authority on the matter" But a bunch of people who do not watch the KHL, have no idea about russian hockey, it's systems, structures and leagues are? Okay.

"I'm far from the only one that thinks he may be better served elsewhere" :laugh: So now the majority is always right or what? Agai, how about people who know more know more? It is reaching the funny territory really when people from across the globe assume to know better what works best for Podkolzin.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
sorry to say this again but...

In the KHL among U21 year olds Podkolzin is this season

10th in points (6 in 23 games)
20th in goals (2 in 23 games)
24th in points per game (0.26 ppg)

And magically, he is supposed to be a top 6, top 9 winger from the get go, this next season on (the most common opinion),
for a team that is a play-offs team in the NHL. (future contender) - i mean... he doesn't even have an NHL contract yet
and he is supposed to jump from the KHL 4th line, to the NHL 1st, 2nd or 3rd line??? how???

A HEAD SCTRACHER

Reactions: ru4reals

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

And magically, he is supposed to be a top 6, top 9 winger from the get go, this next season on (the most common opinion),
for a team that is a play-offs team in the NHL. (future contender) - i mean... he doesn't even have an NHL contract yet
and he is supposed to jump from the KHL 4th line, to the NHL 1st, 2nd or 3rd line??? how???

A HEAD SCTRACHER

watch him play

Reactions: Rufus T Firefly

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Les Canucks doivent espérer rapatrier Vasili Podkolzin le plus rapidement possible
Canucks must hope to repatriate Vasili Podkolzin as soon as possible... (translated from French)

Since the beginning of the fall period, several young prospects have been playing in leagues in the form of a loan. By way of example, Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Liiga), Raphael Lavoie (Allsvenskan), Evan Bouchard (Allsvenskan), Klim Kostin (KHL) and many more are all expected to return home as soon as the NHL decides to launch its activities with the training camps. However, on the KHL side precisely, we must start not to like what we see at the SKA of St. Petersburg within the organization of the Vancouver Canucks.

Vasili Podkolzin is not currently under contract with the Canucks, but the arrival of the 1st round pick in 2019 seems imminent for the 2021 season. On the other hand, his place is by no means won within the roster, especially when 'We rely on his KHL outfit at the moment. Indeed, Podkolzin has only accumulated six points in 22 games so far. An inglorious performance, I agree, but having seen him in action at the Karjala Cup, with adequate playing time, the Russian remains a dominant player who will be pleasant to see develop in North America.
Any concerns to be there?

Should the Canucks be worried about his anemic production? Not at all. Having said that, if I was in Jim Benning's chair, I would seriously start to look forward to training camp. Let's say the World Junior Championship will help Podkolzin's cause. Recently, we told you that Podkolzin was compared to a young Marc Messier at the same age by his junior coach. The latter is none other than Igor Larionov. He often had good words with the young Russian and it is this same coach who gave Podkolzin a very good playing time in the Karjala Cup. Fortunately, this will also be the case at the 2021 World Junior Championship.

However, when he returns to KHL, the yo-yo game begins. The Russian professional league is clearly not a development league and right now Podkolzin would benefit a lot more from being in the Canucks' organization than with the SKA, which is constantly juggling its use. Unfortunately, COVID obliges, the attacker came back like a hair on the soup when we had already prepared for his departure. Thus, his role changes every match. Sometimes used on the first offensive unit while other times, it is the bleachers that host the 10th pick of the 2019 auction, the 20-year-old must get more regular playing time in order to maintain his achievements in sight from the Canucks camp.
Thanks for providing me with a list of asshat journalists who spread this BS.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006

A HEAD SCTRACHER
By people that has an interest in developing him.

You know, a diamond is just a rock if you don't cut it right.

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020

A HEAD SCTRACHER

While you're scratching your head...listen to the Canucks Director of Player Development Chris Higgins....whose opinion means ALOT more than any of the word ninjas in this forum.

Reactions: Luckylarry

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario

A HEAD SCTRACHER

now do U20

edit: I did it myself:

tied for 3rd in points among forwards
tied for 6th in goals among forwards
6th in points per game among forwards with at least 10 GP

there are also (according to KHL.ru) 13 forwards on SKA who (while playing at least 10 games) have more time on ice than Vasili

Last edited:

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020
Thanks for providing me with a list of asshat journalists who spread this BS.

When I find an assessment from a professional hockey journalist or credible prospect analyst that supports your unparalled / unbiased expertise....I will be sure to re-post on here.

While I appreciate your perspective that the KHL operate immaculate developmental programs, in NA we enjoy critiquing incompetence in our local teams, the NHL and ALL related leagues where our prospects are being developed...try not to take it so personally.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
When I find an assessment from a professional hockey journalist or credible prospect analyst that supports your unparalled / unbiased expertise....I will be sure to re-post on here.

While I appreciate your perspective that the KHL operate immaculate developmental programs, in NA we enjoy critiquing incompetence in our local teams, the NHL and ALL related leagues where our prospects are being developed...try not to take it so personally.

Problem with most NA hockey media is they don't have resources or on-the-ground info in Russia. They're not reporting anything insightful or groundbreaking. They just rehash the same sentiments fans have and it's deemed 'credible'. I mean I could've written the article you posted in 5 minutes.

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020
Problem with most NA hockey media is they don't have resources or on-the-ground info in Russia. They're not reporting anything insightful or groundbreaking. They just rehash the same sentiments fans have and it's deemed 'credible'. I mean I could've written the article you posted in 5 minutes.

Cool. What's stopping you from publishing more credible and insightful articles ?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Cool. What's stopping you from publishing more credible and insightful articles ?

Maybe the poster does not have an English language publication or website? Sometimes info doesn't cross the pond well.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
While you're scratching your head...listen to the Canucks Director of Player Development Chris Higgins....whose opinion means ALOT more than any of the word ninjas in this forum.

Thanks for posting. Clearly Higgins believes Podkolzin is a player teams win with. I still believe Podkolzin will be a Calder finalist.

Reactions: Deezone

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020
Maybe the poster does not have an English language publication or website? Sometimes info doesn't cross the pond well.

I've posted similar reports from Russian journalists working at Russian outlets quoting Podkolzin and Larionov which strongly suggest that Podkolzin is being under-employed at SKA.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

Huh? I'm American. I'm well aware of what crap sports journalism is. What you posted was basically an opinion piece supported with rudimentary facts any 10 year old can obtain with a google search. Nothing insightful. Just echo-chamber stuff used to promote a message, or for clicks. Sadly, this is what passes for 90% of media nowadays.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad