Friedman: Could the Leafs target Seth Jones?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He's a really good defenseman. He's slightly overpaid and Hawk fans give him a ton of crap because we gave up too much for him. But he's a really good two way defender that if paired with a good to elite puck mover that can play lots of minutes would shine.

Sounds to me like Rielly would be the perfect partner.

Problem is I don't know how you do it because I think most would agree Jones isn't worth Marner and beyond that I don't think Marner would waive to go to Chicago given where Chicago is in their rebuild. It's going to be a long process.

Unless Chicago retains money and given the length of Jones contract , I'm not convinced they'd do that.I don't know how you make it work.

I do know that Rielly, Jones, McCabe and Benoit is the basis for a defense I could support, although preferably Benoit would be on the bottom pair, but he's still a piece

Reactions: JKG33

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Sounds to me like Rielly would be the perfect partner.

Problem is I don't know how you do it because I think most would agree Jones isn't worth Marner and beyond that I don't think Marner would waive to go to Chicago given where Chicago is in their rebuild. It's going to be a long process.

Unless Chicago retains money and given the length of Jones contract , I'm not convinced they'd do that.I don't know how you make it work.

I do know that Rielly, Jones, McCabe and Benoit is the basis for a defense I could support, although preferably Benoit would be on the bottom pair, but he's still a piece
Again, it would be a bad trade for Toronto.

Reactions: Tarmore

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
The “Marner is worth more” crowd doesn’t realize he has a NMC to waive and will want a raise on 11m already. They gain instant cap space and 4m beyond by not signing “I’m a god” Marner for 13.5. Moving him also opens space for someone else while gaining a D.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
One of the worst contracts in the league off of Chicago's books, leaving them with pure freedom to navigate the rebuild in any way they please.

Then when the Leafs miss the playoffs, they'll be blessing Chicago with a lottery pick in 2025.

It really would be a dream come true.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I've been a huge critic of Jones, I think he hasn't been very good defensively in some time, but Toronto needs a top end puck mover on the back end, and he is that. It's hard to see where the fit is in terms of trading for him though, unless they dump Marner for cap space and futures.

The “Marner is worth more” crowd doesn’t realize he has a NMC to waive and will want a raise on 11m already. They gain instant cap space and 4m beyond by not signing “I’m a god” Marner for 13.5. Moving him also opens space for someone else while gaining a D.
This. I'm not sure if Marner is worth much at all at this point. He is a high paid player that only a few teams can afford, and the NMC basically means that he gets to pick where he goes. He probably doesn't want to go to a rebuilding team, and contenders don't often have 11M or 11M in tradeable contracts that Toronto would want to take back. The return for Marner won't be great, and the most valuable part of that deal for Toronto will be the cap space. The key will be finding a team to take Marner, so they can afford to make a separate move for a guy like Jones.

WildWolfdog

Dec 4, 2008
I've been a huge critic of Jones, I think he hasn't been very good defensively in some time, but Toronto needs a top end puck mover on the back end, and he is that. It's hard to see where the fit is in terms of trading for him though, unless they dump Marner for cap space and futures.

This. I'm not sure if Marner is worth much at all at this point. He is a high paid player that only a few teams can afford, and the NMC basically means that he gets to pick where he goes. He probably doesn't want to go to a rebuilding team, and contenders don't often have 11M or 11M in tradeable contracts that Toronto would want to take back. The return for Marner won't be great, and the most valuable part of that deal for Toronto will be the cap space. The key will be finding a team to take Marner, so they can afford to make a separate move for a guy like Jones.

Marner has 1 year left before hitting free agency.

Seth Jones has SIX more years at a 9.5 million cap hit taking him to age 36-37. How are the Leafs getting better with this move??

Reactions: Tarmore

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Marner has 1 year left before hitting free agency.

Seth Jones has SIX more years at a 9.5 million cap hit taking him to age 36-37. How are the Leafs getting better with this move??
If they want to move on from Marner, they will probably do it this summer, to a team that will be interested in an extension. The value in moving on from Marner is in the cap space. Of course they would get some assets back as well.

I don't care one bit if the Leafs target Jones or not, but a player like Jones would make the Leafs better. They've lacked a top end puck mover for a long, long time now. Regardless, it wouldn't be a Toronto - Chicago trade, as Marner isn't likely to want to sign an extension to be stuck in Chicago. I also would be surprised to see Jones waive him modified NTC if the inquiring team was Toronto.

WildWolfdog

Dec 4, 2008
If they want to move on from Marner, they will probably do it this summer, to a team that will be interested in an extension. The value in moving on from Marner is in the cap space. Of course they would get some assets back as well.

I don't care one bit if the Leafs target Jones or not, but a player like Jones would make the Leafs better. They've lacked a top end puck mover for a long, long time now. Regardless, it wouldn't be a Toronto - Chicago trade, as Marner isn't likely to want to sign an extension to be stuck in Chicago. I also would be surprised to see Jones waive him modified NTC if the inquiring team was Toronto.

They're definitely moving off Marner this year. The only issue is his agent is known for walking guys with NMC/NTC to UFA status.

Either way Marner's getting traded. They will likely target D or prospects but there's no way a player with Jones' caphit who hasn't been performing up to the contract will be coming back their way.

They've seen players slow down as they age and Jones isn't getting any better with age. Getting out from JT and his 11 million contract in a year only to take on another albatross in Jones will end up being a terrible move.

I think Leafs will look for trades with teams like Utah / Seattle / Anaheim etc.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Nope. Haven't read the rest of the thread.

If we're flipping Marner it should be for a player like Vince Dunn.

Better hit, term and player.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Why would Seattle trade its #1 defender and best player locked in at nice contract for next 3 years for Mitch Marner?
Because GMs can be convinced into make poor trades, we see it happen all the time. Marner has name value and regular season value. Fills seats, scores points, will sell merchandise and maybe even get his team into the playoffs.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Jones didn't suddenly start sucking. He is just not an elite play driver that can make it work on a bad team. Not all very effective players are. Put him with Rielly and all the talk will be about the resurgence of Jones.

But then you start having to worry about when the real decline does start.
/thread

Hawks fan here who has watched a lot of him. He’d do well on the Leafs with all that talent and I think all things considered it would actually be a pretty good move for Toronto. He’s in great shape and doesn’t have a lot of miles on his body, I think he’d solidify that defense in a big way for the next 3 seasons or so.

You’re right however that the last few years on that contract would be problematic. Either way it’s not as absurd of an idea as I’m sure it’s being made out to be in this thread

Reactions: Petrus

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The problem is that Seattle woudn't do it.
There's lots of horrendous trades that end up happening that HF says "They would never accept something like that"

Kadri for Barrie + Kerfoot
Hall for Larsson
Devon Toews for picks
Tkachuk for Huberdeau (kind of forced his way out but still)
Sergachev for Drouin
Forsberg for Erat
Rask for Raycroft

Point being, GM's get hustled sometimes.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I would do the trade personally for Marner without a new contract. No freaking thank you on paying him 7-8 years $11.5+ million.

I’d rather do Jones + a 2nd for Marner with one year left. Then retain 50% and flip him at the deadline. OR be a part of a three team trade where we send Jones to Toronto and retain 50% on Marner to whoever wants him.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
There's lots of horrendous trades that end up happening that HF says "They would never accept something like that"

Kadri for Barrie + Kerfoot
Hall for Larsson
Devon Toews for picks
Tkachuk for Huberdeau (kind of forced his way out but still)
Sergachev for Drouin
Forsberg for Erat
Rask for Raycroft

Point being, GM's get hustled sometimes.
You go ahead and keep hoping that your GM is going to make that miracle happen. Check back into your GM's history and I am not sure he is the guy that is going to do the hustling. :laugh:

(Especially when one of your examples is your GM being taken. Just be hopefully he doesn't still have a thing for Huberdeau)

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I would have some interest in Jones but there would have to be some retention and some other stuff added if we're talking a Marner trade. Fill in the blanks

Marner + Liljegren for Jones @ $_____ + _____

I really like Reichel and I kind of want the Leafs 2025 pick back but that feels too greedy.

I wonder if they could make it work somehow to add Jones and 1 of Pesce/Montour. A top 4 of Rielly, Jones, Pesce/Montour, and McCabe would be nice, though up front would probably be pretty thin and scoring has been the Leafs issue the last couple years moreso than defending.

Reactions: Magic Man

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Having a hard time seeing others are writing here that Jones for Marner is an option… Hawks would have to add a bit. Maybe Reichel would be a chip, but I would have to see it to believe it.

Yea I feel like if anything it would make more sense to deal Marner for pieces then use some of that to acquire Jones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad