RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin - SKA-Neva St.Petersburg, VHL (2019, 10th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Huh?

СКА-1946 МХЛ - YouTube

So how many matches are missing, exactly? Tough to discuss things when you keep posting false information.

u18 MHL seasons, huh? Podkolzin's PPG isn't even in the top 100 all time. Yes, Kravtsov scored less goals per game, but far more assists per game and had a significantly higher PPG, while being younger. But hey, I'd also remind you that I'm not exactly a Kravtsov fan.

He played 12 games in the MHL and all of them were to start the year. Way too small a sample size to draw any conclusions from it. So hard to compare "seasons" when he has not played a season in the MHL. Not to mention he is still 17 years old. Barely past his 16th year before the season started.

As to the VHL. This is a very low scoring league. The team leader had 33 points in 51 games. It is not like the league is filled with PPG players. So his production here is actually pretty good.

I suspect you are stat watching without considering context. Three different leagues and a couple more tournaments makes it difficult to get a read on his production. 14 games is the most he played in any one league.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He played 12 games in the MHL and all of them were to start the year. Way too small a sample size to draw any conclusions from it. So hard to compare "seasons" when he has not played a season in the MHL. Not to mention he is still 17 years old. Barely past his 16th year before the season started.

As to the VHL. This is a very low scoring league. The team leader had 33 points in 51 games. It is not like the league is filled with PPG players. So his production here is actually pretty good.

I suspect you are stat watching without considering context. Three different leagues and a couple more tournaments makes it difficult to get a read on his production. 14 games is the most he played in any one league.
All VHL games are there too:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=СКА-Нева+(Санкт-Петербург)+Высшая+хоккейная+лига&sp=CAI%3D

My argument was against him being difficult to watch because he's in MHL or VHL instead of KHL. This is objectively false, all games are freely available on Youtube.

If you think his entire season's too small of a sample size, that's ridiculous. He played 37 club games.

I am not stat watching without context, I've watched several games - on Youtube, for free - and analyzed his game. Surprising, isn't it? How about you? Been watching him a lot, when you didn't even know you could watch the games?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=СКА-Нева+(Санкт-Петербург)+Высшая+хоккейная+лига&sp=CAI%3D

My argument was against him being difficult to watch because he's in MHL or VHL instead of KHL. This is objectively false, all games are freely available on Youtube.

If you think his entire season's too small of a sample size, that's ridiculous. He played 37 club games.

I am not stat watching without context, I've watched several games - on Youtube, for free - and analyzed his game. Surprising, isn't it? How about you? Been watching him a lot, when you didn't even know you could watch the games?

lol you responded while ignoring all the points he brought up and focusing on something totally irrelevant. Well done.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Really like the went away from the idea they feared drafting Russians and just took the best player available.

I see a lot of Horvat's game in Podkolzin so that could be a natural duo in a few years.

I see a few more good Russians in this draft I'd love the Nucks to take a shot at.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
So he has two years at least he'll be in the khl correct? Thought I saw that somewhere. That's actually brilliant for Vancouver if he works out. Because that would make his first year coming to the league the season that Hughes and Petterson start new contracts. So they'd get a potential top 6 player on 3 years of ELC as soon as those deals start, if I'm not utterly misinformed or wrong.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
So he has two years at least he'll be in the khl correct? Thought I saw that somewhere. That's actually brilliant for Vancouver if he works out. Because that would make his first year coming to the league the season that Hughes and Petterson start new contracts. So they'd get a potential top 6 player on 3 years of ELC as soon as those deals start, if I'm not utterly misinformed or wrong.

Also our AHL team has been a mess with not wanting to give significant roles/minutes to young kids and we’ve already seen one kid return to Finland and another ask for a trade. The notion that he can develop entirely in Russia then bypass Utica for the NHL club sounds pretty good to me.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008

Where do you get 37 club games? Are you counting games from 2 different leagues?

KHL - 3 games averaging just over 3 minutes a game.
VHL - 14 regular season games and another 8 in the playoffs. The second leading scorer in the playoffs (on his team) had 5 points in 12 games. The top scorer was way ahead of all the others and was also 25 years old. Pods has 3 in 8. In context he played well.
MHL - 12 games to start the year. Had just turned 17 to start the year. Added 3 points in 3 games in the playoffs. One of two players to be PPG in the playoffs on his team.

A total of 40 games over 3 leagues. 11 of them in the playoffs. It is a bit disingenuous to say he played 37 club games without context. Different leagues, different teammates. The guy barely had time to get comfortable before he was moved up to a higher skill league.

I stick with my original guess that you were just stat watching. His sample size is tiny. You are trying to make it sound like he played a full season in the MHL. He didn't. What did I say that led you to believe I didn't know you could watch the games? Are you confusing me with someone else?

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Also our AHL team has been a mess with not wanting to give significant roles/minutes to young kids and we’ve already seen one kid return to Finland and another ask for a trade. The notion that he can develop entirely in Russia then bypass Utica for the NHL club sounds pretty good to me.
Yeah. Sounds like a good pick. Good for you guys. If he steps in that first year and plays well immediately, oof. You guys are very dangerous. Good things come to those who wait.

Good chance anyone at 10 would need a couple years to be NHL ready anyway, so him not coming over immediately hardly matters

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Love Pod. Plays the game with heart and soul and skill, which is a great combo. He reminds me of Radulov in many ways, the Canucks needed a kid like this in their coffer, true warrior type.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Yeah, Pettersson and Hughes will be off their ELC by the time he arrives.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
At first I did not like the pick. But then Pettersson. Horvat? No, thank you, Canucks fans.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Podkolzin-Horvat-Madden

is a drool-worthy line

I sincerely hope podkolzin can play on our top line, at 10 I dont care what people say about odd's or percentages, if you do your home work we can still get a top line player.

I was devastated a top line player in zegras went one spot ahead. Someone with his talent is going to be a top line player, and I also think caufield will as well.

With that said podkolzin has skill and is still only 17 so I still have hope he can be a top line winger.

His production this season will be important.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Some members of hfboards just love discouraging other teams.

You cant discourage opinions just because you think they are negative toward other teams. Although ijuka was so embarrassingly incorrect on pettersson and i wasted hours arguing with him in prior years about petterssons talent, podkolzin has some question marks, and this is a boom or bust pick. I see the talent and he is only 17, but his production needs to show this season.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
I sincerely hope podkolzin can play on our top line, at 10 I dont care what people say about odd's or percentages, if you do your home work we can still get a top line player.

I was devastated a top line player in zegras went one spot ahead. Someone with his talent is going to be a top line player, and I also think caufield will as well.

With that said podkolzin has skill and is still only 17 so I still have hope he can be a top line winger.

His production this season will be important.

Yea, had Zegras in my top 5. It was going well for us to get him with Seider/Broberg going before us.

I see Podkolzin as a Brady Tkachuk type who can play on your top line or 2nd line putting up 65 points. When you have your top 2 centers set in Pettersson/Horvat, Podkolzin is an exciting piece to add.

I think he's a top 5 talent but had him ranked in the backend of my top 10 due to question marks around his league production.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
For me he was the #4 player in this draft.

I loved his complete game. He different from most Russians who have recently came out because he really does play a power game. STYLISTCALLY he really does remind me of Landeskog. I use to say Hossa, but he lacks some of the flare that Hossa has in his game. Landeskog is the comparisiom I’m sticking with. He’s going to be money with either Horvat or Petterson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad