RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin - SKA-Neva St.Petersburg, VHL (2019, 10th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelittlecoon

ELIAS PETTERSSON
Jun 19, 2017
Vancouver
Seems like every highlight is him just trucking to the net in a straight line. It’s the same way Nichushkin drove offence in juniors. I just can’t see that style being very effective in the NHL.
It’s not like he’s doing that every time he has the puck; throughout the tournament he was consistently creating zone entries and finding his teammates with all the space he creates. The reason you think that way is because you’re only watching highlights.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Seems like every highlight is him just trucking to the net in a straight line. It’s the same way Nichushkin drove offence in juniors. I just can’t see that style being very effective in the NHL.
Can you elaborate?
Its not like he just drives wide with speed and what would you say of his board play, passing, puck protection and ability to compete all over the ice? Same as Nichushkin?

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I really liked the look of his game in that highlight package, seemed to be much more dynamic with the puck that what I saw in a lot of his pre draft highlights. He has a ton of speed, power and control with the puck, and uses his linemates well. They had no finish, or he would have had 2 or 3 points.

If continues to develop the power game he plays, he will A) have a ton of room playing with EP and BB, or B) create a ton of room for EP and BB with his driving style. Either way, he is a very exciting prospect. Canucks are going to have a very heavy, fast top 9 forwards in a couple of years with Horvat 215, Boeser 210, Ferland 215, Virtanen 230, Miller 220. I'd expect that Podkolzin will be about 210 by the time makes the team.

Reactions: Kreator

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I bet you were saying the exact same thing after his Hlinka performance too right?
I was saying he was overrated after that, and that too many conclusions shouldn't be drawn off one tournament like it. This is when he was #3OA literally everywhere, by a good margin too.

Player assessment's not changed a whole lot for me up to this point. It's literally EVERY scouting service that has changed their opinion to be closer to mine from where they were before.

I wouldn't judge players via highlight reels - those miss the bad plays.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I was saying he was overrated after that, and that too many conclusions shouldn't be drawn off one tournament like it. This is when he was #3OA literally everywhere, by a good margin too.

Player assessment's not changed a whole lot for me up to this point. It's literally EVERY scouting service that has changed their opinion to be closer to mine from where they were before.

I wouldn't judge players via highlight reels - those miss the bad plays.

Scouting is based on projection and skillsets not highlite reels or productions.

His skillset size spped and hockey IQ had him as a top 5 pick.

He dropped mainly because he was already committed to playing in Russia for another year and the Russian factor overall.

Canucks were probably amazed that he dropped to them at 10, with his skillset he shouldn't have been available at 10.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Smart + strong on the puck = cant miss player. Just by virtue of making solid, high IQ passes and keeping the puck on his stick long enough to make them he'll be a useful asset anywhere on the ice. Seems fairly positionally aware too.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Scouting is based on projection and skillsets not highlite reels or productions.

He dropped mainly because he was already committed to playing in Russia for another year and the Russian factor overall.

Canucks were probably amazed that he dropped to them at 10, with his skillset he shouldn't have been available at 10.
You think that's because he dropped? That's funny, because it completely contradicts the rest of your post. So scouting is based on projection and skillsets, but he got rated low because he committed to playing in Russia for 2 seasons, something having nothing to do with either projections or skillset? I'd say he dropped because of his very disappointing performance in the Russian domestic leagues and the u-18 WJC.

So scouting isn't based on production? You know what? Production is a very strong historical indicator for NHL performance. As such, it's important - whether you like it or not.

The rest of the post is wrong too. Size? It's nothing special. He just is not small. Speed? He's not a blazing skater, it's a weakness more than a strength. Hockey IQ? I think it's relatively low - but this is the only thing that's subjective.

I specifically don't consider highlight videos very highly at all. I mean, you realize I'm arguing against people who are drawing conclusions off his recent highlight video, right?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Omark

Tesla stock
Aug 5, 2011
Espoo, Finland
That speed is unreal. It’s a bit sad he plays for stacked SKA where he probably doesn’t get a real KHL chance and has to play in the VHL. He reminds me of Afinogenov and Nichuskin, obviously hoping he’ll turn out as Afinogenov level of hockey player.

Highlights are just highlights. He must start producing this season in the VHL. If he continues struggling there i’ll be very sceptical about his NHL chances.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013

He seems to have that "x" factor... i think he's going to be a stud.
he chases pucks soooo hard. he's like the opposite of so many of the softy, crap players the canucks have signed over the years.

His hands and straight line speed are so underrated, they're big strengths to his game.

the tools are so good, he just needs some seasoning, and someone to help him with his skating technique.
PRO NHL coaching staff will do wonders for him. i hope they have an in-house translator

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
So exciting. 0 points. Really not a fan of him. Frequent poor decisions. Seems to have no idea where to be. But perhaps that's exciting. Or hey, perhaps I'll be wrong. It'll be fun to see, too.
LMFAO 0 points argument, holy crap
This guy has an entire NHL package, it's called being snake bitten, and teammates not finishing.
I counted at least 8-9 scoring chances he had alone created in just a few games, incredibly dynamic, looks like AO lite.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Speed and hockey IQ are not strengths from what I've seen.

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
Can you elaborate?
Its not like he just drives wide with speed and what would you say of his board play, passing, puck protection and ability to compete all over the ice? Same as Nichushkin?
I must be way off judging by these replies. I have only seen highlights, so I don’t claim to know a whole lot about his game. It just seems that most of the highlights I’m seeing are him driving straight down the wing. Guys like Nichushkin and Virtanen had similar tendencies off the rush and struggled to translate their offence to the pros.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You think that's because he dropped? That's funny, because it completely contradicts the rest of your post. So scouting is based on projection and skillsets, but he got rated low because he committed to playing in Russia for 2 seasons, something having nothing to do with either projections or skillset? I'd say he dropped because of his very disappointing performance in the Russian domestic leagues and the u-18 WJC.

I guess you have inside information on all the teams that passed on him?

So scouting isn't based on production? You know what? Production is a very strong historical indicator for NHL performance. As such, it's important - whether you like it or not.

No If scouting was based even for the most part on production, NHL teams would use computer algorithms to draft players not scouts.

Scouts want to see how players do in multiple different games and scenarios. They use a numerical rating system to evaluate players on different skillsets ect.

Production is used but so is context, team usage, linemates and a whole host of other factors.

The rest of the post is wrong too. Size? It's nothing special. He just is not small. Speed? He's not a blazing skater, it's a weakness more than a strength. Hockey IQ? I think it's relatively low - but this is the only thing that's subjective.

He is a decent sized winger with a good strong frame that might play at 210 lbs, no he's not a giant but he isn't just some small skilled guy either.

Skating is a weakness of his, are you confusing him with another player?

his hockey IQ is fine he's no Jake Virtanen.

I specifically don't consider highlight videos very highly at all. I mean, you realize I'm arguing against people who are drawing conclusions off his recent highlight video, right?

You are making an assumption that people are only using high lite videos here, he played at televised events and even a high lite package shows shifts not just a 2 second scoring clip.

It's fine if you aren't a fan of his time will tell right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Leopain

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Speed and hockey IQ are not strengths from what I've seen.

I think his speed is fine and his skating with the puck is one of his strengths.

Sure he is no Paul Coffey but he isn't Milan Lucic out there.

His IQ is fine it's not like he is a center then it would be a problem.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think his speed is fine and his skating with the puck is one of his strengths.

Sure he is no Paul Coffey but he isn't Milan Lucic out there.

His IQ is fine it's not like he is a center then it would be a problem.

He doesn't have good top-end speed. I don't think his skating will hold him back, but I don't think it's a strength. I think his style of play makes his hockey IQ play at a low level. He struggles in closed circuit settings where he needs to make a methodical play. Most of his offense comes off the rush, and he struggles on the PP from what I've seen.

Most of his offensive plays physical, confrontational, flashy. He also has a tendency to put his head down and charge towards the net when he should have his head up, and surveying for passing options. I don't think he's a bad passer either, but his passing doesn't play at the level his passing ability would make you think it should.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He doesn't have good top-end speed. I don't think his skating will hold him back, but I don't think it's a strength. I think his style of play makes his hockey IQ play at a low level. He struggles in closed circuit settings where he needs to make a methodical play. Most of his offense comes off the rush, and he struggles on the PP from what I've seen.

Most of his offensive plays physical, confrontational, flashy. He also has a tendency to put his head down and charge towards the net when he should have his head up, and surveying for passing options. I don't think he's a bad passer either, but his passing doesn't play at the level his passing ability would make you think it should.

Fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->