RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin - SKA-Neva St.Petersburg, VHL (2019, 10th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
For me he was the #4 player in this draft.

I loved his complete game. He different from most Russians who have recently came out because he really does play a power game. STYLISTCALLY he really does remind me of Landeskog. I use to say Hossa, but he lacks some of the flare that Hossa has in his game. Landeskog is the comparisiom I’m sticking with. He’s going to be money with either Horvat or Petterson.

Does he play primarily RW? Canucks could use another LW if Goldobin gets cut or Baerstchi retires.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Podkolzin is in an excellent position yo develop. No need to rush him onto the team because there are plenty of options at RW. When he arrives, he can slot into a secondary role without the pressure to be the primary scorer at his position (Boeser/Pettersson/Virtanan and even a guy like MacEwen will eat up minutes in offensive and defensive opportunities on right side which Podkolzin will have to push through unless he switches to LW entirely.

The reason I like Pod with Horvat is that Pod can create his own chances and draw players away from Horvat. Pod can also rush the puck, which also reduces Horvat's responsibility on zone entries, allowing him to get into scoring positions more directly.

Give him two years in the KHL and hell, maybe some time in the AHL to hone himself in. No pressure for Pod. We want him to develop confidence in that power forward type role and I believe that comes with a sense of dominating ones' peers before moving up a division.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Nipsey

Aug 8, 2018
Similar to how Filip Forsberg dropped back in 2012. Podkolzin will be an impact player for the Canucks. Stylistically reminds me of Fedorov.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nabrules

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Podkolzin is in an excellent position yo develop. No need to rush him onto the team because there are plenty of options at RW. When he arrives, he can slot into a secondary role without the pressure to be the primary scorer at his position (Boeser/Pettersson/Virtanan and even a guy like MacEwen will eat up minutes in offensive and defensive opportunities on right side which Podkolzin will have to push through unless he switches to LW entirely.

The reason I like Pod with Horvat is that Pod can create his own chances and draw players away from Horvat. Pod can also rush the puck, which also reduces Horvat's responsibility on zone entries, allowing him to get into scoring positions more directly.

Give him two years in the KHL and hell, maybe some time in the AHL to hone himself in. No pressure for Pod. We want him to develop confidence in that power forward type role and I believe that comes with a sense of dominating ones' peers before moving up a division.
Yeah i agree with this. I was extremely surprised by the pick, but i think Vancouver is a perfect spot for Podkolzin. It was good for him that he dropped rather than going in that 3-5 range that some had him in. He won't have the pressure to carry the franchise or even carry a line on his own. He will play on either Petterssons or Horvats wing, along with other young talented players. Horvat and Podkolzin could be an absolute nightmare 2nd line to go up against.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
Nice pick for Van. They were in a good position at 10 where they could take a shot at Podkolzin and not get criticized for it .
yeah, it feels like it was the right spot in the draft and the right point in the team's development trajectory. Taking a chance like this with the pick they acquired in the Schneider trade would have been too risky (especially with the benefit of hindsight!), but it feels right this time around. love the organizational fit too.....seems like an ideal line mate for either of our top two centres.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought this guy was overrated for most of the season, but at 10, its not a bad pick. I don't think his upside is as high as he gets credit for, but he still has a decent chance to be a top 6 forward. Let him develop in Russia. I think putting him in the AHL or CHL is a good way to ruin his development. There's a long track record for Russian forwards developing much better in the KHL.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I like the situation for him in Vancouver. Unless Podkolzin just stops developing he'll come over in a couple of years and have really skilled players feeding him the puck.

In theory it seems ideal. He'll be the physical guy protecting Pettersson and Hughes, clearing space for them and finishing plays.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
What’s a realistic season for him production wise next year? Around 20 points?

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
The skill is clearly there and at 10 it was really good value. I still have concerns about his production though and hopefully he can answer them next season.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Miller/Hoglander when he's ready - Pettersson - Boeser
Podkolzin - Horvat - Madden

The way things are shaping up, that 2nd line would be tough to play against.

That’s good too but I really what Pod to play with EP. his game will fit in so well with him and both will benefit a lot from each other.

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
The skill is clearly there and at 10 it was really good value. I still have concerns about his production though and hopefully he can answer them next season.
His production will be a concern as long as he is in the KHL. His skillset isn’t as effective on the big ice. I get the feeling that it’s going to be pretty difficult to gauge where he’s at until he comes over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad