RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin - SKA-Neva St.Petersburg, VHL (2019, 10th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Kravtsov is more creative and has better puck skills. Podkolzin is a bull in a china shop.. and is less refined.

I feel like you're underplaying Pod's skill level due to his style of play. Landeskog is a pretty common comp for the kid, but Pod is clearly more skilled than Landy...and I've already written an extensive enough diatribe about Pod's creativity & how he restricted himself as the year wore on due to the lack of chemistry he was constantly dealing with.

Kravtsov played the more skilled/finesse game in their draft years, but if we're just talking about how quick/soft their hands are, then Pod is very much in that discussion with Kravtsov.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I think Podkolzin and Kravtsov are similar level prospects. I ranked Kravtsov 10th and he went 9th. I haven’t finalized my last rankings for 2019, but I think Podkolzin will be somewhere similar, and I don’t think there’s a huge amount of difference between the quality of prospects in that area of the two drafts.

I think there’s a lot about the two prospects that is very different.

Kravtsov is a lot more finesse and a possession guy. He’s also a faster skater with better edges, but Podkolzin plays a lot faster, while Kravtsov slows play down too much, which limits his plus skating, so let’s call that area a wash. I think their shots and puck skills are similar. Both have good shots and the hands to stick handle past defenders. Podkolzin uses these tools off the rush, while Kravtsov operates more in a structured offense. Kravtsov has a better hockey IQ and passing vision. It leads to better playmaking ability. Podkolzin plays at a frantic pace, which leads him to often miss passing options and I don’t believe he’s a natural playmaker either. Podkolzin does have an advantage in going to dirty areas in the offensive zone and playing a more physical game. Podkolzin is filled out, while Kravtsov is lanky. Both are around the same height. Their defensive play is at a similar level with a slight advantage to Podkolzin. Both are average or a little above average defensively. Podkolzin plays defense more with a gritty style, while Kravtsov plays a more tactical defensive style.

They’ve earned their reputations in different arenas. Kravtsov showed very well in the KHL and got very few international opportunities, while Podkolzin didn’t get much of an opportunity in the KHL in his draft season and had mediocre stats in lower leagues, but did extremely well in most of his international opportunities. A lot of the difference here is down to circumstance. Kravtsov played for a KHL team where a draft eligible can get regular playing time, Podkolzin didn’t. Podkolzin is also an early birthday, which means he’s a full age group behind in his development. Kravtsov didn’t get the international opportunities that Podkolzin did. He was one of the youngest players in his international age group, so that plays a part.

I actually like Kravtsov as a comparable in a way that to me their style looks prety much opposite when I look at it. I mean, skating, shot, passing and overall playing style, they both are great prospects, but to me they look stylistically very different to each other.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I actually like Kravtsov as a comparable in a way that to me their style looks prety much opposite when I look at it. I mean, skating, shot, passing and overall playing style, they both are great prospects, but to me they look stylistically very different to each other.

I can get that, as I dunno if I'd be so much higher on Podkolzin than I was Kravtsov if the NHL played on larger ice. But as is, Pod's game just feels like it'll absolutely thrive in the NHL right from the get go; whereas Kravstov, I suspect, is going to need to adapt his game to the NHL style some after coming over.

Denisenko's game also felt very translatable to the NHL for me, which is why I was even higher on him than I was Kravtsov last year. Although I won't argue too much with people who see shades of Rantanen in Kravtsov...although I don't think he's as dynamic as Mikko was after realizing just how good he was at that draft year WJC.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Can anyone comment on why Podkolzin is entering this draft with more hype that Kratsov did last year?

I just don't understand how Kratsov was considered a reach by some at 9, and Pod is a potential third overall.

Would anyone take him over Kratsov if they were in same draft class?
A complete mystery. Kravtsov was playing in KHL while Podkolzin can't even crack the VHL.

Podkolzin's the most mysteriously overrated prospect in years.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
Still only 2 months ago, and:

"Russian winger Vasili Podkolzin actually makes it more of a Big Three.

Eight of 10 scouts had Podkolzin at No. 3 and there appears to be some separation between the top three and the rest of the class"

Scouting boards are in flux but I find it hard to believe that every team then moved him to 10+ in the span of 2 months which is where I see him on many boards now. He's probably going to be taken by one of the teams in 3-10 in my opinion. Detroit seems like a reasonable guess given they have no desire to compete asap.

Given the wings have no desire to compete ASAP.
what are you talking about lol

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Can anyone comment on why Podkolzin is entering this draft with more hype that Kratsov did last year?

I just don't understand how Kratsov was considered a reach by some at 9, and Pod is a potential third overall.

Would anyone take him over Kratsov if they were in same draft class?

Exposure.

Reactions: Lays

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Exposure.

Wouldn't Kravtsov be the one with more hype then...seeing as he was the one who had played in the MHL in his draft-1 and played in the KHL during his draft year?

Or are you just satirizing the silly myths that people make up about Podkolzin? My bad if so, it's tougher to catch sarcasm on the main boards.
I don’t think we’re(wings) are that off to be honest.

You guys remind me of where we were before the MacKinnon draft...although you've drafted better than we did in that period so your cubbards aren't as bare. So I don't think another 2 seasons of blooding in the youth & gathering top 10 picks is exactly unlikely unless you make some big moves to accelerate things...like getting Trouba this summer.

But fair enough, I can't blame any fanbase for being optimistic.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wouldn't Kravtsov be the one with more hype then...seeing as he was the one who had played in the MHL in his draft-1 and played in the KHL during his draft year?

Or are you just satirizing the silly myths that people make up about Podkolzin? My bad if so, it's tougher to catch sarcasm on the main boards.

Depends if we are talking about hype on here or hype with NHL teams.

I’m sure NHL teams saw them both a ton, but most people on here have seen way more or Podkolzin than Kravtsov prior to their draft. Podkolzin’s situation made him much more accessible to people in North America.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Depends if we are talking about hype on here or hype with NHL teams.

I’m sure NHL teams saw them both a ton, but most people on here have seen way more or Podkolzin than Kravtsov prior to their draft. Podkolzin’s situation made him much more accessible to people in North America.

Really? I would be pretty shocked if that was true. Finding MHL & VHL games online isn't exactly hard, but finding KHL games is much simpler. Both played in the WJC so no exposure advantage at the biggest draft-year prospect event. While the Hlinka & WJAC - where Pod had his best production - are both much less viewed than the U18s, where he struggled to produce this year...although the way he destroyed the U18s as a 16 year old did help put him on scouts radars last spring.

I'm pretty sure that his stock suffers amongst fans in a way it doesn't amongst scouts, exactly because folks haven't seen enough of him :dunno:

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Really? I would be pretty shocked if that was true. Finding MHL & VHL games online isn't exactly hard, but finding KHL games is much simpler. Both played in the WJC, while the Hlinka & WJAC - where Pod had his best production - are both much less viewed than the U18s where he struggled to produce.

His stock suffers amongst fans in a way it hasn't amongst scouts, exactly because folks haven't seen enough of him :dunno:

Played in the Hlinka in their draft year?
Podkolzin- Yes
Kravtsov- No

Played in the U18’s in their draft year?
Podkolzin- Yes
Kravtsov- No

Played at the WJC in their draft year?
Podkolzin- Yes
Kravtsov- Yes (very limited role)

Kind of shocked we are debating this, tbh.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Played in the Hlinka in their draft year?
Podkolzin- Yes
Kravtsov- No

Played in the U18’s in their draft year?
Podkolzin- Yes
Kravtsov- No

Played at the WJC in their draft year?
Podkolzin- Yes
Kravtsov- Yes (very limited role)

Kind of shocked we are debating this, tbh.

Draft year KHL games:
Podkolzin - 3; Total TOI: 3 minutes 30 seconds
Kravtsov - 51

I don't understand why this is shocking at all when Kravtsov played almost as many regular season KHL games as Pod played total matches for his club at all 3 levels put together (35 v 40*). Especially when Kravtsov performance in the KHL playoffs was a huge factor in his ultimately going top 10 :dunno:

*that total of 40 club matches includes the 3 KHL games that he sat on the bench for

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Draft year KHL games:
Podkolzin - 3 (total TOI: 3 minutes 30 seconds)
Kravtsov - 51

I don't understand why this is shocking at all when Kravtsov played almost as many regular season KHL games as Pod played total matches for his club at all 3 levels put together (35 v 40). Especially when Kravtsov performance in the KHL playoffs was a huge factor in his ultimately going top 10 :dunno:

He wasn’t ranked top 10 until the end of the year. If you think people were searching out illegal streams to listen to a game in a language they don’t understand just to watch Kravtsov in his draft year, I think you’re being ridiculous.

Most people watch the international tournaments and maybe catch a game or two of league play. In which case 90% of people likely have seen more of Podkolzin. But you’ve decided you’re right no matter what so I’ll just leave it alone.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He wasn’t ranked top 10 until the end of the year. If you think people were searching out illegal streams to listen to a game in a language they don’t understand just to watch Kravtsov in his draft year, I think you’re being ridiculous.

Most people watch the international tournaments and maybe catch a game or two of league play. In which case 90% of people likely have seen more of Podkolzin. But you’ve decided you’re right no matter what so I’ll just leave alone.

You're just projecting ;)

...and it's 2019, the KHL/VHL/MHL's youtube channels aren't some 90's-movie-hacker-magic.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You're just projecting ;)

...and it's 2019, the KHL/VHL/MHL's youtube channels aren't some 90's-movie-hacker-magic.

We will see what others thinks on it. I’m honestly just shocked anyone refuted Podkolzin having more exposure as a prospect. Really thought that would be a given. Been a known quantity for longer if nothing else.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We will see what others thinks on it. I’m honestly just shocked anyone refuted Podkolzin having more exposure as a prospect. Really thought that would be a given. Been a known quantity for longer if nothing else.

Was he? I remember that we were talking about Kravtsov on HFavs in the preseason, as I specifically remember debating him v Denisenko...whom I still rate more...so I figured that Kravtsov was on that top 15/20 radar for other fanbases too :dunno:

Which admittedly isn't as high on the radar as pod, but is still high enough to put the effort into checking out to inform your own opinion about...at least for draft nerds like us lol

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Was he? I remember that we were talking about Kravtsov on HFavs in the preseason, as I specifically remember debating him v Denisenko...whom I still rate more...so I figured that Kravtsov was on that top 15/20 radar for other fanbases too :dunno:

Which admittedly isn't as high on the radar as pod, but is still high enough to put the effort into checking out to inform your own opinion about...at least for draft nerds like us lol

I think part of where we are arriving at different conclusions is you are assuming everyone is hardcore, and I’m thinking more of the masses.

You and I are probably interested in going the extra mile to see different prospects, but for most people it’s more about convenience, which leads to flipping on good old NHL network around the holidays and watching the Worlds or different tournaments on a major network with familiar faces giving the broadcast.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think part of where we are arriving at different conclusions is you are assuming everyone is hardcore, and I’m thinking more of the masses.

You and I are probably interested in going the extra mile to see different prospects, but for most people it’s more about convenience, which leads to flipping on good old NHL network around the holidays and watching the Worlds or different tournaments on a major network with familiar faces giving the broadcast.

True, I just figured that more casual fans may watch the WJC, but won't be watching the Hlinka/U18s unless they're pretty hardcore too :laugh:

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016

Kratsov was considered a riser all year to get to 9, and Pod is a faller that projects to be around 6-10 now.

I think by definition Pod has been in the spotlight more as a consequence.

KHL is certainly a bigger platform to be viewed from than the MHL or VHL.

Both of these points can be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad