RW Eeli Tolvanen (2017, 30th, NSH) Part III

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
His summer training focused on things that made sense, but based on stat watching he has really struggled.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Considering what’s going on between him, Vesalainen & Puljujarvi you have 1 choice for development: leave them in Liiga until they utterly dominate and keep them away from the A.

And when I mean dominate, I’m talking well above 1.3ppg for forwards, above .75ppg per D.

Reactions: mattihp

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Considering what’s going on between him, Vesalainen & Puljujarvi you have 1 choice for development: leave them in Liiga until they utterly dominate and keep them away from the A.

And when I mean dominate, I’m talking well above 1.3ppg for forwards, above .75ppg per D.

JP didn't really struggle in the AHL. In fact his AHL (and NHL) stats are better than the other two AND at a year younger (JP played as an 18 year old in the A). JP thought he was a top-6 forward in the NHL when he wasn't.

Vesalainen and Tolvanen are playing their D+2 year in the AHL and are only 15-ish games into. You don't put bust label until a forward is 21/22 in the AHL and can't even score PPG.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Honestly, I see Guryanov as an example for all those European guys that not all is lost even if you struggle. Even if it takes time. Maybe a lot of time. Maybe a lot more than you expected. They can definitely figure it out if they don't give up and lets frustration overwhelm them.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I think NCAA would have helped him, but he's still only 20 as others have said, lots of time.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
And yet you still have a statue of the Czar in your senate square.....
As a person that loves and reads plenty of history, can you tell me which Czar we are talking about here in senate square? I just finished a book about the Romanov dynasty.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
As a person that loves and reads plenty of history, can you tell me which Czar we are talking about here in senate square? I just finished a book about the Romanov dynasty.
Alexander II, he was the "good czar", during his time the grand duchy of Finland got a lot of liberties and he is fondly remembered. They actually planned on removing the statue at some point, but it was kinda forgotten about and it is not controversial at all.

His grandson Nicholas II later started repressing the Finns, he is not fondly remembered. When Nicholas' governor-general Bobrikov was assassinated in Finland, people brought flowers to the statue of Alexander as an insult to Nicholas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devonator

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Alexander II, he was the "good czar", during his time the grand duchy of Finland got a lot of liberties and he is fondly remembered. His grandson Nicholas II later started repressing the Finns, he is not fondly remembered.
He was the Czar that was blown to pieces I believe back in the early 1880's....your right...he was a good Czar!

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
Interesting, what do you think that means? What are you saying here?
Just some friendly ribbing mostly. I'm Canadian and our head of state remains HRH Queen Elizabeth II of England, which many Americans find hilarious. Actually, the fact that the statue remains reflects rather well on Finnish culture.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Wow, only 3 points in the AHL this season in 15 games? He'll be back in Russia soon enough.

For whatever reason, Milwaukee just seems like a black hole for developing offensive minded forwards.
He's still just 20 and that record start in the KHL really set too high of expectations for him, but I want to see him flourishing.

Reactions: mattihp

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Vesalainen and Tolvanen are playing their D+2 year in the AHL and are only 15-ish games into. You don't put bust label until a forward is 21/22 in the AHL and can't even score PPG.

It’s their D+3 year, which for forwards usually gives you a pretty good idea of how they’re tracking. Tolvanen needs to pick up his game, his AHL production is well behind that of some of his peers.

Dropkick Murphy

Jul 9, 2011
In the bubble
Tolvanen was mediocre before lighting up U-18. Then he was good prospect, but was not great in U-20. Lot of question marks at draft, fell down in draft. Suddenly he was lights out marvelous in KHL, and then bad in NHL and AHL.

It’s like a rollercoaster ride. At least he’s been bit more consistent lately, unfortunately it has happened at the low point of the ride.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
I remember back in the day that Pettersson and Tolvanen were thought of as untouchable forward prospects after the starts they had in their respective leagues.

Elliot friedman brought it up

things change quick.

Reactions: Legend Leinonen

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I remember back in the day that Pettersson and Tolvanen were thought of as untouchable forward prospects after the starts they had in their respective leagues.

Elliot friedman brought it up

things change quick.
People forget how hard it is to become an elite NHL player or even one at all. Players drafted between 26-30 become AHL fodder or 4th liners more often then they become top 9 forwards or top 4 D-men. There is generally somewhere around 40 players in each draft who become something of value in the NHL for any sustained period of time out of 207 or so picks.

Tolvanen was always a weird case. He was good in the USHL but never really dominated it, then went back to Europe post-draft and had a strong year. He's never been great at creating his own space due to size and skating, with the pace of NA play and the size of the rink really hurting a smaller guy over here. Every so often we see these untouchable forward prospects struggle or tracking towards disappointment or failure, even with forwards generally being the easiest to project. And to be honest, we've seen much more highly touted guys struggle to reach their pedigree recently in Yakupov, Puljujarvi, Bennett and MDC.

Ajaton Azer

A small hamster
Dec 5, 2005
Spandex
I think that sometimes what happens is that players from Jokerit, KHL, get overly appreciated against their skills because they are playing in foreign KHL-league. Undoubtedly Eeli Tolvanen is prospected great, but there could be some overestimations because of Soviet Jokerit. Is will be nice to see Eeli succeed in NHL coming over this preconception!

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
I think that sometimes what happens is that players from Jokerit, KHL, get overly appreciated against their skills because they are playing in foreign KHL-league. Undoubtedly Eeli Tolvanen is prospected great, but there could be some overestimations because of Soviet Jokerit. Is will be nice to see Eeli succeed in NHL coming over this preconception!
This isn t a Jokerit problem but a KHL-Problem. Looking to Gusev or Kovi. Both Top-Elite KHL Player, but in NHL only mediocre perfomances.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
This isn t a Jokerit problem but a KHL-Problem. Looking to Gusev or Kovi. Both Top-Elite KHL Player, but in NHL only mediocre perfomances.
Or look at Kempny, Mikheyev or Zuccarello, average KHL players. Point is, every player is different, stop these far-reaching generalizations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad