RW Eeli Tolvanen (2017, 30th, NSH) Part III

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I truly hope not. It seems like he can't figure out the North American ice. At least Pulkkinen had some real success in the AHL. He was dominant down there , just too darn slow in everything to be an effective NHL player.

Let Tolvanen marinade in AHL until he dominates.

Pulkkinen was 21 going on 22 when he first did anything in the AHL.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
The one thing about NHLe in the KHL is you have to look at it from a season by season basis. The quality of players fluctuates immensely. The KHL this season for example is perhaps at the lowest strength of competition it's had in quite some time. There are KHL teams this season that would struggle with the best ECHL teams let alone some AHL squads. There are also a few KHL teams that would wipe the floor with pretty much any AHL team in a 7 game series.

I truthfully believe it's easier to score in the KHL right now than it is in the AHL. Especially when you look at the best KHL goalie from last season is a so-so goalie this year in the AHL. Shows you where the talent is, at least in terms of that position.
Anyone got NHLe numbers from last year? Anyway, I wasn't making a deep point, just saying that there's an objective way to settle the pissing contest (that I don't care about).

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Tolvanen is doing fine in the AHL, better then fine actually. His production is solidly above 0.5 PPG and his shot generation is above 2 SOG/GP.
Given the quality of his shot he's just unlucky so far, with "normal" results he'd be at 6-7 goals by now because he should easily be a 15% shooter in AHL.

Reactions: HockeyHistorian

isthatso

Jan 20, 2017
One of the problem here, as it often is the case, is that the conversation becomes "where and how player x performs VS the hype".

That is fundamentally wrong. Who cares about the hype, especially when a lot of it is based off here, even though some experts consistently had him in the top 20 prospects.

I mean who cares because beside the surefire McDavid, Matthews and so on, the expectations vary widely from person to person. It is just projections that also gets mixed up with hyperboles and "our prospect is better than yours".

Point is that objectively speaking, he performs relatively well considering the circumstances, in my personal opinion, because of my personal projections. Still a fine prospect by any measure, but some get stuck with the usual "but he was hyped as the next big thing" and "underperforms" in that context.

I thought, after watching him quite a bit, that he could become a top 6 winger in the NHL. I am therefore satisfied (got to be a better word) with how he performs now. If you thought, or base your opinion on the hype that some created, that he would be a surefire top 5 winger in the league, then yes, you could say that he is a underwhelming ATM.

Perspectives, I believe.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Not sure why some are surprised people here write of guys who play in the AHL. I mean we had experts saying Rantanen is nothing special when he was tearing it up in the A because he couldn't hack it in the NHL right away.
It's the stupid debate about KHL rookie of the year that hyped it up. Suddenly people were expecting a 18y.o. to be god in the NHL right away. Now they are naturally disappointed.

IRL nothing to see here. He develops.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Nah, it's obvious he needs to adjust to the speed of the NA game and that's better accomplished in the AHL. Koivu and Mi Granlund benefited from it and I think Tolvanen will as well.

Antti Suomela says hi.
Malte Stromwall wave right back. Zack Budish tips his cap.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Let's see what happen s to them when they go to NHL. If they don't, then bringing those names up is useless.
Are you really trying to argue Liiga is any good in 2018? :huh: Other than Tappara and Karpat it's a shadow of a former self and probably closer in quality to DEL than SHL/KHL.

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Are you really trying to argue Liiga is any good in 2018? :huh: Other than Tappara and Karpat it's a shadow of a former self and probably closer in quality to DEL than SHL/KHL.

I'm just pointing out the that top scorer in Liiga last season is now scoring in the NHL as well, not in the AHL.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Damn. I think fans of every other team around the world are more concerned about Tolvanen than Nashville fans are :laugh:
When the H/Joly War of league comparisons based on the performance of one player ensues nobody who cares about Nasville?:sarcasm:

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Let's see what happen s to them when they go to NHL. If they don't, then bringing those names up is useless.

Stromwall lasted a season in Hartford as a 4th liner, was bought out after his 2nd camp. Budish yo-yo’d Between bottom 6 AHL and top 6 ECHL.

That was my point: Liiga players in their prime aren’t very good, good Finnish players aren’t in the Liiga in their prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad