RW Eeli Tolvanen (2017, 30th, NSH) Part III

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I mean the recent develpoments. Looking Tolvanan or Vesalainen.
Mikheyev is a very recent development.

And lets face it, Vesalainen wasn't all that spectacular in the KHL either. Every player is different. Vesalainen was supposed to be one of the leaders on the team and he's struggling, Chibisov was seen as nothing more than a 3rd liner in the KHL and now he's riding 5-game point streak all of the sudden.

Someone like Plotnikov seemed to have all the required characteristics to succeed in the NHL and he failed, Mikheyev seemed like this lanky odd-looking guy and he succeeded. Every time it's a gamble. Lyubushkin is somehow playing his 2nd season in the NHL even though he wouldn't have made a list of top-50 KHL Ds before leaving... Anyway, the point is, it's not about Liiga, NLA, SHL or KHL.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Mikheyev is a very recent development.

And lets face it, Vesalainen wasn't all that spectacular in the KHL either. Every player is different. Vesalainen was supposed to be one of the leaders on the team and he's struggling, Chibisov was seen as nothing more than a 3rd liner in the KHL and now he's riding 5-game point streak all of the sudden.

Someone like Plotnikov seemed to have all the required characteristics to succeed in the NHL and he failed, Mikheyev seemed like this lanky odd-looking guy and he succeeded. Every time it's a gamble. Lyubushkin is somehow playing his 2nd season in the NHL even though he wouldn't have made a list of top-50 KHL Ds before leaving... Anyway, the point is, it's not about Liiga, NLA, SHL or KHL.

I wish this was common sense.

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
This isn t a Jokerit problem but a KHL-Problem. Looking to Gusev or Kovi. Both Top-Elite KHL Player, but in NHL only mediocre perfomances.

Kovy is almost 40 and Gusev took a bit of time to adjust but has turned it around. Panarin is a star right now and Radulov has been good too.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
what's the word on him? Will NSH call him up if they fire Laviolette/give up on the season?
He hasn't really earned a callup yet. But if he gets hot at some point and the Preds have some injuries, it's always possible he could get a callup. Milwaukee is having a great season, however, so I don't know if they'll be too keen on randomly promoting guys if the season is lost in Nashville.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
He hasn't really earned a callup yet. But if he gets hot at some point and the Preds have some injuries, it's always possible he could get a callup. Milwaukee is having a great season, however, so I don't know if they'll be too keen on randomly promoting guys if the season is lost in Nashville.

You’d think that lots of guys would get callous, if only for a few games at the end of the year, if the season is lost. Got to make something of those games, might as well make it a development opportunity.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
You’d think that lots of guys would get callous, if only for a few games at the end of the year, if the season is lost. Got to make something of those games, might as well make it a development opportunity.
I guess it will depend on what the "vibe" is with the team at the time. If it's a real dumpster fire finish for the Preds and Milwaukee continues to look like a championship calibre team in the minors, it might be a better developmental environment just to leave him down there. Could go either way. He's had a couple looks with the big team before, the past two seasons, and I thought he looked fine - he may be the kind of player who can complement NHL skill well enough that he transitions better to the big league than his minor league stats might suggest. But nevertheless, he's also young enough that a strictly meritocratic approach to callups is also appealing - until he can be one of the top 3 or 4 forwards in Milwaukee it's not really fair to the others if he gets promotions over them. He's not down to his last chance or anything like that yet.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I guess it will depend on what the "vibe" is with the team at the time. If it's a real dumpster fire finish for the Preds and Milwaukee continues to look like a championship calibre team in the minors, it might be a better developmental environment just to leave him down there.

For sure, good point. Milwaukee has a good program going right now.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Regardless, this move's due to the uncertainty of the next NHL season.

I think it’s more unlikely for Jokerit to play really, how on earth are they going to play home games when all Russian teams would be asked to quarantine for 2 weeks?
Or Jokerit every time they come home after they do an away trip

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I think it’s more unlikely for Jokerit to play really, how on earth are they going to play home games when all Russian teams would be asked to quarantine for 2 weeks?
Or Jokerit every time they come home after they do an away trip
The KHL is in touch with the government of the Russian Federation, the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Russian Ministry of Sport, the Finnish government and other Finnish authority organs. So, do not worry about Jokerit.

The KHL has rules on how to solve any situation.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
This should be good for him. He started very slowly this season, but by the end of it was back to probably being our best prospect at the pro level. Assuming the Preds let Granlund and Smith walk this season, his mindset should be that a spot on the Preds' 2nd line is his to lose for the coming season. Getting to play in the KHL should give him a leg up on that.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
The KHL is in touch with the government of the Russian Federation, the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Russian Ministry of Sport, the Finnish government and other Finnish authority organs. So, do not worry about Jokerit.

The KHL has rules on how to solve any situation.

I fear the KHL have no backup plan. If THL, HUS and the government of Finland says no, then Jokerit are.. *insert expletive of choice here*
Right now, to be blunt - it’s very likely Jokerit do not play at all in 20-21

Reactions: Jussi

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I fear the KHL have no backup plan. If THL, HUS and the government of Finland says no, then Jokerit are.. *insert expletive of choice here*
Right now, to be blunt - it’s very likely Jokerit do not play at all in 20-21
That is your opinion.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
This should be good for him. He started very slowly this season, but by the end of it was back to probably being our best prospect at the pro level. Assuming the Preds let Granlund and Smith walk this season, his mindset should be that a spot on the Preds' 2nd line is his to lose for the coming season. Getting to play in the KHL should give him a leg up on that.
Tomasino is a better prospect than him.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Tolvanen is struggling in the KHL only 3 g in 17 gp after playing very well as a teen there a few years ago. Disappointing , but seems he just hasn't progressed that much since being drafted.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Tolvanen is struggling in the KHL only 3 g in 17 gp after playing very well as a teen there a few years ago. Disappointing , but seems he just hasn't progressed that much since being drafted.

Rather it's not his goal scoring that he has been told to progress.

Reactions: wings5

Hntz

Jan 6, 2018
Yeah. Seems like the Preds organization tried to make him into a two-way forward, killing his offensive skills in the meantime.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
Yeah. Seems like the Preds organization tried to make him into a two-way forward, killing his offensive skills in the meantime.

Confidence is such a fragile thing for some young players, and it frustrates me when you have a team like Nashville draft a kid with elite offensive skills and then try to turn him into something he clearly isn't. Obviously Tolvanen is mostly to blame for lack of success at the NHL, but I feel Nashville didn't really put him in the best situation to succeed. That's just the way Nashville is, though. Some teams just have an identity and even through coaching changes, they still play pretty much the same style of hockey. Past and current offensive forwards on Nashville always struggle to shine given the system they are forced to play. Some players, like Forsberg, can still be solid NHLers even though their offensive potential is stifled, but some (like Tolvanen, Radulov, Fiala) just can't make it work in Nashville.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad