RW Eeli Tolvanen (2017, 30th, NSH) Part III

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
He is such a smart player that I expected him to make the team. On the other hand he is only 19 trying to break into a cup contender. There is no hurry

Reactions: Pia8988

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Interesting contract structure, so he'll effectively burn a year from his elc no matter what.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Has someone asked him if going back is currently an option in his mind at this point?

I’m sure he was told that he needs to adapt to the ice size, etc. I wonder how he would answer this question.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Not the AHL will be bad for his development but I'm kind of surprised he didn't stick with the NHL club (at least to start the season).

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Has someone asked him if going back is currently an option in his mind at this point?

I’m sure he was told that he needs to adapt to the ice size, etc. I wonder how he would answer this question.
I have not asked. Either the plan is just to get him more ice time in the AHL then bring him back before the 10 games are up, or it just wasn't close and they don't think he's ready for the NHL yet.

The emphasis on adapting to small ice seems weird when he spent two years in the USHL.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
How was he in preseason and camp ? I really wonder about his character if he chooses to go back to the KHL.

If they agreed to that in his contract why would it be a strike against his character? If the organization was trying to coerce him into staying when he'd prefer the KHL then I'd question their character.

Plenty of legitimate reasons he might prefer the KHL over Milwaukee (Jokerit is in his home country, does he get more then his 70K AHL salary to play there?) Hopefully he's considering his development as well, if he ultimately wants to play in the NHL, but it isn't like he can't develop in the KHL.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If they agreed to that in his contract why would it be a strike against his character? If the organization was trying to coerce him into staying when he'd prefer the KHL then I'd question their character.

Plenty of legitimate reasons he might prefer the KHL over Milwaukee (Jokerit is in his home country, does he get more then his 70K AHL salary to play there?) Hopefully he's considering his development as well, if he ultimately wants to play in the NHL, but it isn't like he can't develop in the KHL.
Not saying he can't. The more "NHL" route is going to be AHL though, if he goes back it just shows he doesn't care that much and he wants to make money, which is in his right, but it still sucks for the team that drafted him, he could just play a month or two down in Milwaukee and go up after if things go right.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Not saying he can't. The more "NHL" route is going to be AHL though, if he goes back it just shows he doesn't care that much and he wants to make money, which is in his right, but it still sucks for the team that drafted him, he could just play a month or two down in Milwaukee and go up after if things go right.

He owes Nashville what is in the contract, that's all. I'm sure he wants to be in the NHL, in a top-6 role, getting powerplay time. If he can't have then then he may feel the 2nd best option in to go back to Jokerit -- and he may not. Either way I don't think it is fair to question his character. I'd imagine what the chances of getting called up to Nashville are will play a big part in the decision. With the team being as deep as it is the opportunity just might not be there this year. I think the worst thing for him would be to be buried in the bottom-6.

Reactions: Tex76

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Playing in the NHL is the "make money" option. Playing close to home is due to other convenient reasons. The AHL has been a graveyard for finnish skaters, especially forwards. Only the Wild has really given the chance to guys buried in the AHL when it comes to finnish guys.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He owes Nashville what is in the contract, that's all. I'm sure he wants to be in the NHL, in a top-6 role, getting powerplay time. If he can't have then then he may feel the 2nd best option in to go back to Jokerit -- and he may not. Either way I don't think it is fair to question his character. I'd imagine what the chances of getting called up to Nashville are will play a big part in the decision. With the team being as deep as it is the opportunity just might not be there this year. I think the worst thing for him would be to be buried in the bottom-6.
Obviously, Id say the Preds need to give him some direction, if they want to leave him in the AHL all year, let him go to the KHL.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Playing in the NHL is the "make money" option. Playing close to home is due to other convenient reasons. The AHL has been a graveyard for finnish skaters, especially forwards. Only the Wild has really given the chance to guys buried in the AHL when it comes to finnish guys.
Risto started his 19-year-old season in the AHL, Rantanen spent most of his there, although both are late-birthdays. Puljujarvi started last year there. Teravainen spent half his 20 year-old season in Rockford. Teams don't purposely bury their 1st round picks in the AHL. It is generally part of a thought out plan. Does it happen to lesser prospects who come over? Absolutely. But, teams generally give every chance they can to their 1st rounders they can, because if the regime that picked that kid is still around, and that player busts it is a bad look for the whole organization.

The only recent Finnish first rounders who have been stuck down there for a significant period of time are Honka, Kapanen, and Armia. Armia is not a top 9 guy, Honka was a mid-first who started their in his D+1, and Kapanen was on a team with a stacked top 9 where getting 4th line minutes when he could be in the AHL getting 1st line minutes was beneficial.

His KHL contract is probably for significantly more money than the 70k he makes here, so I don't blame him if he thinks he'll be trapped down for the year to go collect more overseas. Although, that is an approach that might not endear him to the Predators if they are encouraging the AHL path.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Good posts, blindpass! If Tolvanen isn't ready, fair enough. Although I feel like he probably is "ready"-ish... just the Preds have a pretty respectable top grouping of forwards right now and maybe don't have any need to hand out spots in "investment" situations like some other building teams might. Tolvanen can take that as he will, and I'd have no problem with whatever he chooses. Maybe a Preds player gets hurt early on and Tolvanen can slot in, or maybe he destroys the AHL to such an extent that they can't in good conscience leave him there. Or maybe he goes back to Jokerit as soon as he can. I'm good with anything Tolvanen chooses. He has the right to choose and it has no reflection on his character.

Reactions: Ippenator

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Koivu, Granlund, Rantanen all gained from playing in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad