RW/C Elias Pettersson (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
They’ve been on the same line for a While now, Boeser has been hurt of late but he’s right back on E40’s wing when he gets back.

Brock Boeser - Frozen Tools

23% of the time. Only reason why Green switch Boeser with Petterson is because Horvat has to playing the checking role without Sutter.

Hmm I don't think you know that. Even Green probably doesn't even know what the lines would be when Boeser comes back and everyone healthy

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
23% of the time from when? They didn’t start the season together and Pettersson has only played 10 games. Have you watched the games? Boeser is playing w pettersson, they want better wingers playing w EP.
Brock Boeser - Frozen Tools

23% of the time. Only reason why Green switch Boeser with Petterson is because Horvat has to playing the checking role without Sutter.

Hmm I don't think you know that. Even Green probably doesn't even know what the lines would be when Boeser comes back and everyone healthy

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
23% of the time from when? They didn’t start the season together and Pettersson has only played 10 games. Have you watched the games? Boeser is playing w pettersson, they want better wingers playing w EP.

That's for the whole season. So if 23% Boeser is playing with Pettersson. That means 77% of the time he is not playing with him. You said Boeser and Pettersson have been playing for a while now which proves what you are saying it is not true.

Son of Petter

Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
No dude, I said they didn’t start the year together. Bo was w/ Boes, EP w/ Loui and goldy. They started playing together recently and there’s nothing indicating they won’t play together for the foreseeable future. . Have you been watching the games? Serious question.
That's for the whole season. So if 23% Boeser is playing with Pettersson. That means 77% of the time he is not playing with him. You said Boeser and Pettersson have been playing for a while now which proves what you are saying it is not true.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
No dude, I said they didn’t start the year together. Bo was w/ Boes, EP w/ Loui and goldy. They started playing together recently and there’s nothing indicating they won’t play together for the foreseeable future. . Have you been watching the games? Serious question.

No. Read your post at 12.29. You said they been together for a while now. Stats don't lie. That proves what you said is not true.

Yes I watched the games. Col game they played the whole game together. Pits and part of Min game they played to together. But if 23 % of the time they played together. That proves what you said about both of them on the same line for a while now is not true.

Son of Petter

Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Ep has played 10 games, with Boeser for ~3 of those games given injuries. They play together now but didn’t start the season together. Not sure what else to say here and what you’re trying to prove.
They’ve been on the same line for a While now, Boeser has been hurt of late but he’s right back on E40’s wing when he gets back.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I don't need evidence to conclude that a position is absurd lol. What you are referring to as "anecdotal evidence" is merely conjecture and guesswork. It isn't evidence at all - and does not prove anything whatsoever. It is pointless to argue your individual point projections as there is simply no way either side of this argument could ever be proven correct. It would devolve into arguing over finer and finer minutiae and semantics, as it always does with you.

You are welcome to pull the chute on this discussion so it doesn't get to that point.

Of course my evidence is conjecture, that's why it's referred to as anecdotal, instead of factual. This counter-point isn't a point worth mentioning, IMO. We are all speculating here, even you. What I find preposterous is the unquestionable acceptance that drafting Nylander+Tkachuk meant an inability to draft Pettersson. Apparently, this can be concluded without anything to back it up. To the point of calling the opposing opinion absurd, even though that in itself first requires the original premise (that Pettersson would not have been available) to have been proven. Where was it proven? It hasn't been. That is "facts to fit an argument". You need for it to be true in order to call any counter absurd. Instead, you have adopted a premise that has not been reasoned to acceptance at all.

You are coming up with increasingly convoluted mental gymnastics to justify your hypothesis that adding two top-six forwards would mean the Canucks would finish around the same spot, possibly win the draft lottery and also trade up simply if they wished to do so. Apart from useless and meaningless point projections, it's been speculated frequently that the Canucks had Makar first overall. So if they win the trade lottery they take Makar and lose Petterson. As for trading up if the Canucks did finish in Buffalo / Detroit territory - how many picks in the top 10 changed hands that year? NYR acquired Arizona's pick and had Petterson ranked high if the rumours are accurate. I highly doubt the Canucks would've been able to move up into the 1st to 6th range simply because they potentially could have or because they wanted to.

It appears your argument is driven by an ideological agenda (perhaps wanting to give Benning less credit for Petterson?) and is leading to your flawed conclusion, as is almost always the case when you try to fit your facts to the argument instead of your argument to the facts. The assertion the Canucks would not have been able to pick Petterson with those two players that has far more evidence to ground it than your conjecture and projections, which are not evidence in any way, shape or form. Apart from that, it's simply common sense. A better roster leads to better results.

My argument is driven by what I perceive to be a leap in logic that is accepted out of hand.

You said that your position has "far more evidence to ground it". What is this evidence? When you present it, please distinguish this evidence from conjecture, if you will.

A better roster leads to better results, yes, that is common sense. What is not common about this sense is the degree to which the results are bettered. Our meandering exchange thus far has resulted in a tentative comparison with FLA or BUF that year. An 8/9 pick. I don't think either one of us thinks this is outlandish, even if you vehemently disagree with the point totals involved to arrive at that conclusion. And so, that leaves the discussion at the following stalemate:

The Canucks, even if they are at 8th, have the Rangers trade ahead of them at 7 to draft Pettersson. Fair? If we keep draft odds as static, and all events at the draft as static, this probably happens. I have admitted as much myself. Now, that's one point in favour of the original premise. Next, alter that premise to have Tkachuk go back for his D + 1 season. Does this still happen? Adjust the original premise to lower the end goal differential from 30 to 20. Does this still happen? Or, lower the point totals for Nylander and Tkachuk instead of using their carry over stats. Does still happen?

If you find yourself saying no to any one of those occurrences, or the many others provided, then it is not an ironclad irrefutable fact that Pettersson would have been out of draft range for the Canucks.

If you genuinely believe that

Sedin - Sedin - Nylander
Baertschi - Horvat - Tkachuk
Eriksson - Sutter - Granlund
Burrows - Gaunce - Skille

would not be able to win 3 more games, and get a few more OT losses

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson
Baertschi - Horvat - Burrows
Megna - Sutter - Granlund
Chaput - Gaunce - Skille

There isn't much to say. You're in the minority and going against what most would consider a reasonable and likely outcome.

I don't think most have reasoned it at all. I think most accept it without question, without thought to reason, to justify the eventual drafting of Pettersson. As if to say that Pettersson was earned only through the misfortune that befell the organization earlier. It's a great story. A feel good narrative, but I wouldn't call it reasonable nor would I say it was the most likely outcome. There would have to be a well thought out rationale to support such a claim. So far, I haven't seen one.

Reactions: hittes petr sykora

Alfapet

Oct 26, 2007
Not sure about all the Datsyuk comparisons after watching a few more games. Sure, both are high skill players with a lot of hockey sense, but that is about it imo. Datsyuk relied a lot on his sick low center of gravity and balance. In contrast, EPs balance and strength seems to be his only weakness so far. His hockey sense, skill, and shot are off the charts though.

I guess it doesn't make sense to compare his playing style since it's so unique. However, I sometimes see shades of Paul Kariya...

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Not sure about all the Datsyuk comparisons after watching a few more games. Sure, both are high skill players with a lot of hockey sense, but that is about it imo. Datsyuk relied a lot on his sick low center of gravity and balance. In contrast, EPs balance and strength seems to be his only weakness so far. His hockey sense, skill, and shot are off the charts though.

I guess it doesn't make sense to compare his playing style since it's so unique. However, I sometimes see shades of Paul Kariya...
Nope, when Datsyuk was only under 20, he wasn’t even close to as strong on his skates as he was later in his career. People tend to way too often compare a young budding star to some ready made prime star players from the past. You are doing exactly that here. If you want to compare Pettersson to Datsyuk, you should compare him to the U20 Datsyuk and not the prime Datsyuk. Datsyuk was in fact quite a physical weakling during his first NHL years, but he did get gradually considerably stronger.

I agree though that his lack of strength and balance are Pettersson’s only clear weaknesses, but I think it’s way too early to decide if those will be his clear weaknesses through his whole career. I can also agree though that EP really resembles more Kariya than Datsyuk, mostly because Kariya had a great shot, but I wouldn’t say that Datsyuk had a similar way excellent shot. He had a pretty good shot, but nothing like Pettersson or Kariya.

Last edited:
Reactions: hittes petr sykora

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008

Hard to make a comparison for EP, but there's shades of H. Sedin and Backstrom in his game. Also Naslund with how he can rip the puck?

He really is his own player with a unique skill set. He even blocks shots! :laugh:

Last edited:

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Well Id say I would like to see Canucks play Boeser with Pettersson, since I think it would benefit Pettersson.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016

10 of Pettersson's 16 points have occurred with Boeser on the ice.
36.5% of his even strength time spent with Boeser. 5 of his 11 even strength points involve Boeser.
90.5% of his PP time spent with Boeser. All of his PP points involved Boeser.

I don't think you've proven anything, most of all how you interpret "for a while".

Son of Petter

Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Thank you.
10 of Pettersson's 16 points have occurred with Boeser on the ice.
36.5% of his even strength time spent with Boeser. 5 of his 11 even strength points involve Boeser.
90.5% of his PP time spent with Boeser. All of his PP points involved Boeser.

I don't think you've proven anything, most of all how you interpret "for a while".

Reactions: Bevans

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Would have been such a nice OT winner if he wasnt tripped

Br2cZkl.gif

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Lmao wtf in the world is Eichel doing on that play. He just has his ass turned to Pettersson and hoping that's a deterrent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad