RW/C Elias Pettersson (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Why on earth are people here debating and speculating about what could have happened but didn’t happen? I mean I really don't see ANYTHING interesting in that kind of speculating. Speculating about what might happen in the future I do understand to a point, but seriously - why the hell speculate with what could’ve and should’ve happened, when we know how things went and there is no way to change that.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Why on earth are people here debating and speculating about what could have happened but didn’t happen? I mean I really don't see ANYTHING interesting in that kind of speculating. Speculating about what might happen in the future I do understand to a point, but seriously - why the hell speculate with what could’ve and should’ve happened, when we know how things went and there is no way to change that.
Thank you, this discussion is completely pointless.

Would they have drafted Pettersson if they had Nylander? All signs point to maybe.
Wow what a thrilling outcome.

Back to Pistol Pete, that short side wrist shot he has coming in on his offwing is unbelievable. No goalie has a hope in hell of reacting to that.

Reactions: Ippenator

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
We also don't know when Pettersson would be selected. We do know that McPhee wanted Glass, and once he found out that we were selecting Pettersson at 5th overall, refused to trade up to our pick since he would still have Glass available at 6th overall. So an extra spot back wouldn't have made a difference, and the rest is speculation in terms of how far Pettersson would fall.

Except Vegas wasn’t a team in Pettersson’s draft year so their draft position wasn’t effected by our record. We were in a spot where leapfrogging 1 team in the standings meant leapfrogging 2 in the draft. So we had no chance of drafting between Arizona/New York and Vegas as you suggest.

Using the Tkachuk/Nylander draft fails to boost Benning's credibility for the Pettersson pick is silly. We screwed up both of those picks and they don't validate the Pettersson pick because it's pure speculation.

I’m not doing that here at all, just stating facts about not being able to draft Pettersson if Nylander and/or Tkachuk was selected firsts. This is the Pettersson thread not the Benning thread, I’m not even talking about Benning.

Last edited:

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

Would they have drafted Pettersson if they had Nylander? All signs point to maybe.

Back to Pistol Pete, that short side wrist shot he has coming in on his offwing is unbelievable. No goalie has a hope in hell of reacting to that.

False. All signs point to absolutely 100% no. Saying Nylander wouldn’t have contributed enough over guys like Jayson Megan to win 1 extra game is delusional.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Except Vegas wasn’t a team in Pettersson’s draft year so their draft position wasn’t effected by our record. We were in a spot where leapfrogging 1 team in the standings meant leapfrogging 2 in the draft. So we had no chance of drafting between Arizona/New York and Vegas as you suggest.

Oh, so also potentially winning the lottery based on NJ/Philly's finish, so your point is moot.

I’m not doing that here at all, just stating facts about not being able to draft Pettersson if Nylander and/or Tkachuk was selected firsts. This is the Pettersson thread not the Benning thread, I’m not even talking about Benning.

That's fair, just based on how this same point has been rehashed on the Canucks forum to defend the drafting made me post that.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

cause the people that hate Vancouver and want them to continue to struggle think that if Benning made the right draft choices earlier then we wouldn't have Pettersson which then they would be happy about.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
how did he find out who we wanted?

Please answer this question.

It was reported on a fair amount after the draft. Benning approached McPhee asking if he wanted to trade up. It was alleged that Benning told McPhee that we were picking Petty which is why McPhee declined to trade since he knew Glass would be available regardless. Given Benning’s candour and honesty, this would be in line with something he would do.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It was reported on a fair amount after the draft. Benning approached McPhee asking if he wanted to trade up. It was alleged that Benning told McPhee that we were picking Petty which is why McPhee declined to trade since he knew Glass would be available regardless. Given Benning’s candour and honesty, this would be in line with something he would do.

please provide a source for this.

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver

I don't buy this at all...lol

"Hey want to move up so we can get an extra pick from you so you can draft one position earlier for a guy that we wouldn't have taken anyways?"

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I don't buy this at all...lol

"Hey want to move up so we can get an extra pick from you so you can draft one position earlier for a guy that we wouldn't have taken anyways?"

Benning might not have told him straight up, but it seems very likely that McPhee knew (could have leaked or been overheard for example).

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
There are many (including a video of the discussion), but based on the top of my Google search:

Watch: Canucks GM Benning nearly trades 1st round pick at draft (VIDEO)

McPhee said he declined the trade because he believed Glass would be available at 6th overall, lending further credence that Benning disclosed who we were selecting.

Why would it be surprising if Vegas knew who we were picking considering the Canucks knew they were going to pick Glass?

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East

Ive also noticed a couple of times he does a move when he brings the puck in tight to his skates to get better shooting angle

lawrence

May 19, 2012
lending further credence that Benning disclosed who we were selecting.

Mcphee made a calculated guess, that the Canucks will probably take Pettersson probably. He knew probably as much as knowing previous year that Winnipeg will take Laine number 2. Or knew as much as benning knew that Colorado will most likely take Makar. There is nothing to really nothing to go by here, and even before that, McPhee just said this is what he thinks is worth to move up, but he will not do it yet.

Back to Pettersson, he is the 5th player in NHL history to score 10 goals in his first 10 games.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Mcphee made a calculated guess, that the Canucks will probably take Pettersson probably. He knew probably as much as knowing previous year that Winnipeg will take Laine number 2. Or knew as much as benning knew that Colorado will most likely take Makar. There is nothing to really nothing to go by here, and even before that, McPhee just said this is what he thinks is worth to move up, but he will not do it yet.

Back to Pettersson, he is the 5th player in NHL history to score 10 goals in his first 10 games.

If that were the case then McPhee never would have made a potential offer to Benning to move up, which he did.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Or people need to seriously watch him play more. He is insanely good! I honestly couldn’t believe two years ago that he would become this good, but there he is now. And already last season he was also insanely good. Now he has just become better. Right now I can’t think of any other players that are as fun to watch. He is so quick on his feet, so amazingly skilled with the puck and his shot is already elite too. And when you combine all that with crazy high hockey IQ, it makes him just constantly be exactly where he should be on the ice, and where the puck will be going in a moment. Just amazing talent that has made me follow an otherwise pretty boring team like the Canucks on a regular basis.

As a Finn I’m for sure envious at the Swedes for Pettersson, but honestly when I see just the kind of amazing and unique talent that I see in him, then it doesn’t matter what nation the player is from - I will be a fan. Pettersson is absolutely amazing and people are still mostly sleeping on him. I believe he will become a truly legendary player. When you really watch him play a lot it should become obvious to you, I think.

Reading posts like this almost gives me chills. You're telling me the Canucks have a player who's converting fans of rival countries and opposing teams? Being talked about on Rangers broadcasts? This just can't be real. 10 games ago we were saying we likely have a good, up and coming player, which was frankly exciting enough. This conversation shifted fast. Possibly too fast, but might as well enjoy the ride and correct our hype level if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad