RW/C Elias Pettersson (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Not going to lie, I wasnt very impressed with him tonight. Though to be fair it's the only game i've seen of him. Was it an off night for him?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Gretzky is notorious for making crazy comparisons and stating that X modern era player would be better than him. It's kind of comical how many times he's made these comments; someone should compile a list of players he has praised.

you are right on this one, he does seem to be on the good side of giving compliments out, but nothing is as close as this.

the extremes I've heard him say...

"Ales Hemsky is the best foward in the NHL" or something in that lines
"He will break some of my records" reference on Crosby

other then that he doesn't say much. but you have to admit those are huge praises.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Not going to lie, I wasnt very impressed with him tonight. Though to be fair it's the only game i've seen of him. Was it an off night for him?

He was fine, didn't get much done, was one of the less impressive games he's played this season. The last few games it seems like defense has been 5 players on EP and nobody else can do anything.

When Sutter gets back and Bo doesn't have to play shutdown role, things will improve for the team.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

fair and reasonable comment. Bo and Elias "additional" work load work with Sutter gone, is slowly catching up to them. Rangers also did a good job shutting them down, add to the fact so many cross bars and posts we should have won, and all of a sudden it could have been a 2 point night for Elias, and a 4-1 win for the nucks, but stuff like this happens. long road trip too, 2 more games.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
He wasn't in a groove tonight. I still thought he was one of the few Canucks actually generating chances. He wasn't invisible by any stretch.

Games like these you see how much he misses having a good linemate like Boeser. Goldobin just isn't cutting it lately, so many great Petey passes/plays have been going to waste on his stick. I don't mind Virtanen, he brings a different skillset, but he's just starting out with EP.

Then on the last PP with the game on the line they aren't even trying to set him up for his signature shot. Idk what Pouliot was thinking taking a nothing slapshot when they had good possession going on.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
He was fine, didn't get much done, was one of the less impressive games he's played this season. The last few games it seems like defense has been 5 players on EP and nobody else can do anything.

When Sutter gets back and Bo doesn't have to play shutdown role, things will improve for the team.
Which is super easy to do when the opposing player know they don't have to worry about EPs lines mates actually being in position.

What I would gives for the likes of Goldobin, Virtanen, and pretty much the entire defense to actually like get open an read the play a bit.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
I wasnt either, it seems NHL defenses has adjusted to make Elias their number one priority when playing the canucks which is giving him very little space, and they’re able to do so and get away with it due to a lack of other scoring threats.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell

Maybe an off night, he looked fine to me. He's not going to put up 5 points every night but it was clear he was the offensive catalyst for the Canucks who couldn't score last night.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Watched him against Buffalo, and thought, despite a quiet game scoring wise, that he looked like a legit top line talent.

He'll put up his share of points this season I'm sure.

(Just waiting for people to start "What's wrong with Pettersson" threads on here after a few quiet games - if it happens, which it likely will at some point....)

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Except for that one time when he caused a goal.

Yeah signals got mixed up there with Hutty. At that point the Canucks were str8 garbage. Made some good defensive plays afterward though.

And how about that anyways. The last guy in the league you'd want to get that break, and it ends up right on the tape and in the back of the net. Laine's such a gamebreaker. Just gotta tip your hat.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Without an injury, 100% of the calder votes should go to Pettersson, damn he is good!!!
He's on the cusp of entering the Top 10 in NHL goal scoring. He's been a lot of fun to watch.

The scoring race is still not close either. He has 19 points in 17 games. The next-highest total is 12 points.

NHL.com - Stats, Rookies, 2018-19

Andrei Svechnikov hasn't had such a great start. Rasmus Dahlin was on for four goals against tonight and doesn't yet look stellar on the defensive side of the puck -- he's on pace for 39 points. Brady Tkachuk missed a lot of time. The other Calder candidates are quite a bit behind as well.

The media is still rightfully infatuated with the Canucks' young star. He and Bo Horvat are the Canucks' MVP players this season so far.

If someone has a different player on their ballot right now, I'd be curious to hear their justification.

Mathew Barzal had 160 out of 164 first-place votes last season for the Calder. The other first-place votes went to Boeser, Keller, and Gourde.

I don't think anyone is as close to Pettersson this year as those three were to Barzal.

Last edited:
Reactions: tfu92

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I think Dahlin is the only other player to have a chance at the Calder this year. Dont think Svech gets enough ice time, and Tkachuk is behind too many good players in Ottawa (Theres 3 players on pace for 90+ points). EP is alone in Vancouver, while playing C.

I expect his totals to stay more consistent when he gets his regular line mate Boeser back. Hes playing with Goldobin and Virtanen/Eriksson right now..

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I think Dahlin is the only other player to have a chance at the Calder this year. Dont think Svech gets enough ice time, and Tkachuk is behind too many good players in Ottawa (Theres 3 players on pace for 90+ points). EP is alone in Vancouver, while playing C.

I expect his totals to stay more consistent when he gets his regular line mate Boeser back. Hes playing with Goldobin and Virtanen/Eriksson right now..

His line was good tonight, goldobin and pettersson also each had 1 cross bars tonight. If any of those went in, were talking a 3 point night. That said his stats have taken a huge hit, have edler and boeser been available to deploy along with pettersson on our power play. Pettersson has a history of getting points off the power play.

From the sounds of it the only 2 rookies playing a huge role for their teams are Elias Pettersson as a top line forward for Vancouver and Miro for Dallas who is deployed as a top 2 defender now. Thet Brady tkachuk guy is also doing wonders for Ottawa, so those 3 are very likely the finalists.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
His line was good tonight, goldobin and pettersson also each had 1 cross bars tonight. If any of those went in, were talking a 3 point night. That said his stats have taken a huge hit, have edler and boeser been available to deploy along with pettersson on our power play. Pettersson has a history of getting points off the power play.

From the sounds of it the only 2 rookies playing a huge role for their teams are Elias Pettersson as a top line forward for Vancouver and Miro for Dallas who is deployed as a top 2 defender now. That Brady tkachuk guy is also doing wonders for Ottawa, so those 3 are very likely the finalists.

Kotkaniemi could enter the discussion before season end (will likely know by game 40) production is ramping up now and claude is having a lot more faith in the kid as well, was out on the ice for a lot of face-offs late in the game vs. the caps and . First 11 games he had 4 pts, last 10 gms 8 pts and last 5 gms 5 pts. If Claude moves danault down and Kotkaniemi up in the line-up while giving him pp time you could see it become a four horse race

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016

From the sounds of it the only 2 rookies playing a huge role for their teams are Elias Pettersson as a top line forward for Vancouver and Miro for Dallas who is deployed as a top 2 defender now. Thet Brady tkachuk guy is also doing wonders for Ottawa, so those 3 are very likely the finalists.

Dahlin, kotka, jokhiharju, Howden, chytil, and white all doing big things as well.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
If you think Dahlin has a chance Heiskanen definitely does as well.

in terms of play you're probably right but eastern team + buffalo being a canadian team + dahlin having so much hype coming into this year will probably sway the voters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad