Rumor: Rutherford: 'Already interest' in Pens goalies

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Rutherford was just on overdrive (hes a really good interview)

Sounded a lot like Murray is being shipped out and they'll be running w Jarry/DeSmith (not like this should surprise anybody)

Straight up said he was dealing one though, which is blunt for a NHL GM I thought. Remember when Lou would get interviewed you'd be hard pressed to get the f***ing guy to simply admit he had two goalies, let alone he was trying to ship one out lol.

If anything Jarry may have the higher value right now. Murray is going to command a raise while Jarry shouldn't be asking for too much $$$. Not to mention Murrays stock has fallen (tho I think hes still a good goalie).

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
There is a 0% chance that Murray is going for that little.

Do people on here just ignore past precedent when it comes to trades? We know what Murray's going to bring back, it's between a 2nd and meh assets and a 1st. There is no way he's going to bring back less than that.

More realistically, Murray isn't going for picks. He'll be traded for either a bottom pair puck moving RD or a 3C.
If you expect a first for Murray, you might be disappointed.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Honestly, what Filppula up to these days? Is he still a capable center that could maybe do a 3rd or 4th line?

Would Murray+JJ for Filppula+Det 2nd

Or if you want to swap centers, swap JJ and Bjugstad.

I think JR is going to be pretty high on Jarry. Honestly, we all thought Murray for Kappy was about even and you saw Kappy pull 1st+prospect, so I imagine the return for Jarry would need to be similar. You're in Lethbridge, so I assume you're a Calgary fan? 1st+Phillips for Jarry+JJ/Bjugstad?

Fil was a complete non entity and a little more than a warm body like much of the team. Maybe he’d do better with some of the more talented Pens?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If anything Jarry may have the higher value right now. Murray is going to command a raise while Jarry shouldn't be asking for too much $$$. Not to mention Murrays stock has fallen (tho I think hes still a good goalie).

I think a lot of goalies stocks have fallen though. Doesn't mean teams won't be interested. I think the only goalie that's done himself any favors is Lehner but he can only go to one team. Looking at the UFA list, there are some good names but all capable starters are over 30. Murray being 26 is quite the difference when considering if you want to trade or not. In 5 years...every UFA goalie available will be over the hill. Murray will be where they are all at now. His age fits the age group of a lot of cores in the league.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Murray+3rd to the Sharks for Tampa’s 1st?

Murray+2nd to the Hawks for Boqvist?

I may be overrating him.

Pens don't have a 2nd but I think Murray for Tampa's 1st from the Sharks is a good example of a decent trade. If the Pens have to add a 3rd or 4th, I'd want a prospect coming back our way. Maybe Gallant or Letunov?

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015

I may be overrating him.
Not only do the Pens not have a 2nd, but Boqvist is worth much more than Murray. And the Hawks probably wouldn’t trade him for anything barring a gross overpayment.

Matt Murray straight up for Tampa’s 1st is fair deal for both sides. Should be about pick 28-31

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Too late, the wild already have that pick. However to keep the jersey cost down, we could just trade Johns(s)on's?
On the other hand, I could still see their 2021 1st pick being involved, by being returned to them by MIN in exchange for Murray.

Holtby gets to choose his destination, and he will likely get paid. I'd expect Murray to be traded to a smaller market that is less attractive to UFAs since he is still and RFA and they get a chance to lock him up without competition. Ottawa or Buffalo fit.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
On the other hand, I could still see their 2021 1st pick being involved, by being returned to them by MIN in exchange for Murray.

Holtby gets to choose his destination, and he will likely get paid. I'd expect Murray to be traded to a smaller market that is less attractive to UFAs since he is still and RFA and they get a chance to lock him up without competition. Ottawa or Buffalo fit.

Hey if Guerin says we can have our 1st back for MM JR should trade it for another Kapanen type. :sarcasm:

...Watch him trade it for Montour...

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Murray doesnt work for us. Hes going to make too much. We wont be paying our first for him
Sharks are sort of stuck with Jones, no? I know Jones has struggled but he's unmovable with that cap hit and term, so you just have to hope he figures it out. Maybe you go get a moderately priced backup as a platoon option.

Reactions: themelkman

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Hey if Guerin says we can have our 1st back for MM JR should trade it for another Kapanen type. :sarcasm:

...Watch him trade it for Montour...
I don't know how it happens yet, but I bet Montour is a Penguin before this is over. Maybe rights to McCann for rights to Montour?

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Murray to Ottawa for Tierney and Hogberg
Murray to Minnesota for Stalock and Eriksson-Ek
Murray to Detroit for Pickard and Cholowski

This is the kind of format I'm expecting a Murray trade to look like: either a young puck moving D or a defensive 3C packaged with a fringe NHL/AHL goalie.
Skip the goalie coming the other direction unless its required for cap compliance on the other side. We have DeSmith in the A ready to go.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Nah

A 1st for a goalie lol
It's happened several times recently.

Fredrick Andersen traded to TOR for #30OA and #50OA

Martin Jones traded to SJS for #29OA, Sean Kuraly shortly after being traded to BOS in the Lucic to LAK deal.

Raanta and Stepan to PHX for DeAngelo and 7th OA. Thats a 1st and a player taken 19th OA 3 years earlier. Slice value of those two up any way you want between Stepan and Raanta.

All three guys were about the same age as Murray, 25-27, and none had the pedigree he does.

Tell me where I am off here?

Edit: Robin Lehner and a washed up Legwand to BUF for #21 OA.

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's happened several times recently.

Fredrick Andersen traded to TOR for #30OA and #50OA

Martin Jones traded to SJS for #29OA, Sean Kuraly shortly after being traded to BOS in the Lucic to LAK deal.

Raanta and Stepan to PHX for DeAngelo and 7th OA. Thats a 1st and a player taken 19th OA 3 years earlier. Slice value of those two up any way you want between Stepan and Raanta.

All three guys were about the same age as Murray, 25-27, and none had the pedigree he does.

Tell me where I am off here?

Tell me how it worked out for those teams? Andersen might be on his way out, Jones is among the worst contracts in the leagues, Raantta is a backup now?

Yeah, Minnesota will pass.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Sharks are sort of stuck with Jones, no? I know Jones has struggled but he's unmovable with that cap hit and term, so you just have to hope he figures it out. Maybe you go get a moderately priced backup as a platoon option.
Thats the only option. We cant pay a guy 6 mil. It has to be someone making like 3.5 to make sense

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Tell me how it worked out for those teams? Andersen might be on his way out, Jones is among the worst contracts in the leagues, Raantta is a backup now?

Yeah, Minnesota will pass.
Andersen has been solid but not spectacular in Toronto, Jones took SJS to a Cup Final but is currently struggling, Raanta is part of a solid tandem in AZ, and Lehner is currently backstopping one of the favorites to win the cup, albeit not the one which paid a 1st for him.

Regardless of whether you think these were good moves, there is certainly precedent for moving a 1st for a young starting goaltender.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Andersen has been solid but not spectacular in Toronto, Jones took SJS to a Cup Final but is currently struggling, Raanta is part of a solid tandem in AZ, and Lehner is currently backstopping one of the favorites to win the cup, albeit not the one which paid a 1st for him.

Regardless of whether you think these were good moves, there is certainly precedent for moving a 1st for a young starting goaltender.

And there's certainly precedent for it not working out for the team acquiring the goaltender.

Regardless of whether you think it could happen, Minnesota has no incentive to trade a 1st for Murray. Especially after the year he just had.

Reactions: thesaadfather

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
This guy is your GM. He has already gone public saying he wants to upgrade the goaltending position, and he's seen up close how far Matt Murray can take a team.

SCJ09_17b.jpg

alertentiredrever

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

We currently have a 24 year old that has checked every box on his way to the brink of the NHL, and we traded back into the 2nd round last year for a goalie. Trading a 1st for another one, especially one coming off a bad year, would be way too much.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

I may be overrating him.

That is absolutely awful for Hawks

If Hawks were in on Pens goalie it would be Jarry given his age and costs going forward. Could see Hawks trading Pens 2nd back to them for him if it happened

To :hawks
G Tristan Jarry

To :pens
Penguins 2020 2nd round pick

If Pens need G back for AHL/#2 potentially then Hawks can add Kevin Lankinen in deal

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00