Rumor: Rutherford: 'Already interest' in Pens goalies

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This guy is your GM. He has already gone public saying he wants to upgrade the goaltending position, and he's seen up close how far Matt Murray can take a team.

SCJ09_17b.jpg

alertentiredrever

And this guy is NHL ready, and we have a glaring need at top 6 center, but sure, we're going to trade a 1st that we just acquired back to the team that gave it to us for a guy who put up an .899 sv% and lost his job midseason so we can pay him, what, 5-6M per year on a UFA contract?

Yeah, not happening.

However, if you're desperate to send him to Minnesota, and he agrees on a 2-3 year, 4.5M contract, I would consider Sturm+'21 3rd for him. You get your bottom six defensive center and a draft pick.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Not putting Dubnyk on the ice would go a long way to accomplishing this, and it doesn't cost us a 1st rounder.
Is Stalock the starter then? It's pretty clear that Dubnyk is on his way out, and a starter is coming back in. Could be a UFA but I'm willing to bet Billy G is kicking the tires on Murray.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Is Stalock the starter then? It's pretty clear that Dubnyk is on his way out, and a starter is coming back in. Could be a UFA but I'm willing to bet Billy G is kicking the tires on Murray.

Without anything else being done, Stalock and Kahkonen battle it out. If we dip into UFA, Stalock probably goes to Iowa.

I don't mind if he asks about Murray, but a 1st rounder shouldn't be anywhere near the conversation.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
And this guy is NHL ready, and we have a glaring need at top 6 center, but sure, we're going to trade a 1st that we just acquired back to the team that gave it to us for a guy who put up an .899 sv% and lost his job midseason so we can pay him, what, 5-6M per year on a UFA contract?

Yeah, not happening.

However, if you're desperate to send him to Minnesota, and he agrees on a 2-3 year, 4.5M contract, I would consider Sturm+'21 3rd for him. You get your bottom six defensive center and a draft pick.

NHL >>> AHL just an FYI.

Reactions: Hamurai

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I'd expect MIN, BUF, CGY, OTT, DET, CHI, TOR, and maybe COL (if Grubauer's injury is bad) to have interest in Murray. I doubt we trade inside the division. Not all of those teams will make offers but there are enough out there that need a guy like Murray that we should get good value out of him.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
That is absolutely awful for Hawks

If Hawks were in on Pens goalie it would be Jarry given his age and costs going forward. Could see Hawks trading Pens 2nd back to them for him if it happened

To :hawks
G Tristan Jarry

To :pens
Penguins 2020 2nd round pick

If Pens need G back for AHL/#2 potentially then Hawks can add Kevin Lankinen in deal
The Penguins are gonna trade their preferred starting goalie for a 2nd rounder? You're dreaming.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015

If Hawks were in on Pens goalie it would be Jarry given his age and costs going forward. Could see Hawks trading Pens 2nd back to them for him if it happened

G Tristan Jarry

If Pens need G back for AHL/#2 potentially then Hawks can add Kevin Lankinen in deal
Boqvist is obviously out of the question, that guy who suggested it is looney. But there is no way we trade Jarry for a 2nd. His value is much, much higher.

Jarry for Strome or the Hawks 1st is about the only realistic deal that gets you Jarry.

A young goalie that’s proven to be capable of #1 duties and who will be signed 3.5m or less can not be had for a 2nd round pick.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Boqvist is obviously out of the question, that guy who suggested it is looney. But there is no way we trade Jarry for a 2nd. His value is much, much higher.

Jarry for Strome or the Hawks 1st is about the only realistic deal that gets you Jarry.

A young goalie that’s proven to be capable of #1 duties and who will be signed 3.5m or less can not be had for a 2nd round pick.
Realistic for the Pens maybe. Hopefully Bowman is smart enough to stay away from anything close to that.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

No way in hell is Jarry worth the 17th overall unless you take Brent Seabrook with it

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

G Tristan Jarry

It's laughable that you think this gets you Jarry. Downright laughable.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No one is giving a 1sr, much less a top 10 or especially joel Eriksson Ek for Murray or any Penguins or any goalie on trade markets

Lol what has Eriksson-Ek done in the NHL to warrant being talked about like that? He's a defensive 3C with defensive 3C upside.

I'm willing to bet that a lot of people beating the "Murray has low trade value" are going to look very foolish when Murray is actually traded. He may not bring back a king's ransom, but some of the posts in here are hilariously off with what he'll bring back.

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
Lol what has Eriksson-Ek done in the NHL to warrant being talked about like that? He's a defensive 3C with defensive 3C upside.

I'm willing to bet that a lot of people beating the "Murray has low trade value" are going to look very foolish when Murray is actually traded. He may not bring back a king's ransom, but some of the posts in here are hilariously off with what he'll bring back.

Only thing I am worried about trading MM is that it is JR that is making a trade. It can go 1 of 2 ways. Either he gets fleeced and gets crap that pens dont really need or he throws in more picks or prospects, or he pulls a highway robbery and gets a crazy haul. There is no in between with him lol. But yes, 4th or 5th round pick like someone mentioned before is utter joke.

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018

Tell me what he brings back value wise. And then we will compare who was right if he is traded

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
GMJR is making moves and Murray is one of them. NHL has seen many trades of cap dumps and JJ will be moved and as well.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
We currently have a 24 year old that has checked every box on his way to the brink of the NHL, and we traded back into the 2nd round last year for a goalie. Trading a 1st for another one, especially one coming off a bad year, would be way too much.
can't let past misstakes stop you from doing the right thing.:)

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Lol well they just traded their first round pick for a tjird line player so nothing surprises me

One trade says they're willing to pay any price to win now, the other says they're setting up a rebuild. Not even JR does both.

There's definitely a scenario in which Jarry gets moved, but none of those scenarios are built around draft picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad