Rumor: Rutherford: 'Already interest' in Pens goalies

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Price, in terms of assets to acquire? Or price, in terms of how much money Murray will demand? Because in the case of the latter, I don't think his salary will be too high. Between his down season and the cap being flat, chances are he'd be willing to take a 2 or 3 year "prove me" deal at around $5-ish million per.

As far as what the Wild need of their goalie, I'd argue that *because* your team does well defensively then acquiring someone who has the potential to really shine behind that kind of team defense would make a lot of sense. The times Murray has generally looked elite are the times the Pens actually committed to strong team defense. His "shaky" performances usually coincided with the Pens running around giving up odd man breaks like they were going out of style and treating backchecking like it was optional.

Of all the teams he could potentially go to, I actually think Minnesota is one of the ones where I think you'd see a return to his back to back Cup form.
More the trade price than the contract, though the contract worries me as well. Maybe I'm misunderstanding his situation, but isn't he in the same place we were in with Zucker before his last contract? He can hold out for a 1-year award in arbitration and just walk to UFA? I think a reasonable deal can be worked out, but that on top of the resume is more leverage than your average RFA.

But like I said, if we're talking about a 2nd and cap space (Bjugstad) and not 1st rounders, I'm much more open minded.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
More the trade price than the contract, though the contract worries me as well. Maybe I'm misunderstanding his situation, but isn't he in the same place we were in with Zucker before his last contract? He can hold out for a 1-year award in arbitration and just walk to UFA? I think a reasonable deal can be worked out, but that on top of the resume is more leverage than your average RFA.

But like I said, if we're talking about a 2nd and cap space (Bjugstad) and not 1st rounders, I'm much more open minded.

Someone who is better with these RFA/UFA situations can clarify, but if I'm understanding it correctly you might be right. He could do that. However, he'd be banking on himself having a fantastic bounce-back season this year and hoping to cash in as a UFA after that. The risk he's taking there is if he has another down year or if teams simply don't have the room next off-season to add a goalie due to the flat cap, he might be in a worse predicament. Whereas if he takes a reasonable 2-3 year deal at a decent cap hit, there's less risk for him.

I think the fact the Wild could have done so much better this season if they had even average goaltending would be a big factor in management being interested in a potential upgrade. Going into next season with question marks in nets might not make sense to management since it might result in the exact same thing holding back the Wild.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Someone who is better with these RFA/UFA situations can clarify, but if I'm understanding it correctly you might be right. He could do that. However, he'd be banking on himself having a fantastic bounce-back season this year and hoping to cash in as a UFA after that. The risk he's taking there is if he has another down year or if teams simply don't have the room next off-season to add a goalie due to the flat cap, he might be in a worse predicament. Whereas if he takes a reasonable 2-3 year deal at a decent cap hit, there's less risk for him.

I think the fact the Wild could have done so much better this season if they had even average goaltending would be a big factor in management being interested in a potential upgrade. Going into next season with question marks in nets might not make sense to management since it might result in the exact same thing holding back the Wild.
Fair points, and you're definitely correct on that last part.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020

Alex Stalock: signed to 3 years deal so he can be exposed to Expansion

Wild in Iowa:
Kaapo Kahkonen: 1 year away with the hiring of Iowa wild G coach, that is probably a sign that Kaapo will be wild G. Wild will protect from expansion draft

Mats Robson: 2- 3 years away

Drafted: wild traded 2020 3rd round pick to get Hunter Jones in 2019 nhl entry draft. Was signed to 3 years elc

So in essence wild don't need G for more than 1 year . They will most likely go through free agency or trade for veteran Goalie who they need for 1 year

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Murray + McCann for Larsson + Puljujarvi?

Maybe EDM adds a conditional pick based on JP’s performance/games played?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad