Rumor: Rutherford: 'Already interest' in Pens goalies

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I think both Goalies bring something positive to the table. This is the deal Rutherford needs to get most right. Seems like deja vu with Fleury all over again.
The difference there is that the team had no choice but to lose one of the goalies. Sully only trusted Murray and Fleury was much older. This is a more critical decision because they are both young goalies. Jarry has never been a starter for a full season in the NHL, however he seems to be better when he gets more starts. Murray is the better overall goalie, but has some glaring flaws, but he is still Sully's boy. The team does seem to play better in front of Jarry, but that could be a team mentality issue that the coach should be able to control.

Personally, I hope they trade Murray mainly because he will likely be looking for more money than Jarry and the team has cap issues and the D to worry about.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The difference there is that the team had no choice but to lose one of the goalies. Sully only trusted Murray and Fleury was much older. This is a more critical decision because they are both young goalies. Jarry has never been a starter for a full season in the NHL, however he seems to be better when he gets more starts. Murray is the better overall goalie, but has some glaring flaws, but he is still Sully's boy. The team does seem to play better in front of Jarry, but that could be a team mentality issue that the coach should be able to control.

Personally, I hope they trade Murray mainly because he will likely be looking for more money than Jarry and the team has cap issues and the D to worry about.
Good points, I would probably trade Murray just due to the fact he stands to make more as a RFA. I watched Jarry last year, and the games I saw I liked what I saw. Both bring positives to the table. Not sure what teams could use a stanley cup winning goalie. Maybe Carolina? This is going to be an interesting trade. I can see some fit with Carolina, and they have Toronto's 13OA pick ironically to dangle plus some D to trade.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not going to say that Price doesn't deserve what he is getting. I just feel that teams tend to do better with a top 10-15 goalie and a balanced team then they do with a top 5 goalie and major holes in the team. But maybe Vasilevsky will be the outlier, however Tampa doesn't really have any holes on their roster either. However, I can't see Montreal or Florida winning the cup anytime soon with their +$10M goalies and sub-par teams.

Habs won't be held back with our future cause Price makes $10.5M. I have not looked at every team but I wonder how many teams are above $8M for two goalies. Think about it... Is $2M going to hurt you that much? I think we are in very interesting times... Flat cap due to Covid 19 and once we get past that, it might be the same time as when the new US TV deal and Seattle revenue kicks in. Before Covid 19, the cap was expected to be in the $84M - $88M range. I can only imagine how much it bumps forward in 3+ years. I think teams just need to weather the storm

Will be interesting to see how many goalies are paid $9M+ during Price's contract term. I just think it's comical where some fans think the $5M - $7M rate will stick forever.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Good points, I would probably trade Murray just due to the fact he stands to make more as a RFA. I watched Jarry last year, and the games I saw I liked what I saw. Both bring positives to the table. Not sure what teams could use a stanley cup winning goalie. Maybe Carolina? This is going to be an interesting trade. I can see some fit with Carolina, and they have Toronto's 13OA pick ironically to dangle plus some D to trade.
Hadn't really thought about Carolina as an option. Do they have an RFA D that would fit in a swap for Murray?

I see that Fleury is an RFA, but I'll admit that I don't know about how high Carolina is on him

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Hadn't really thought about Carolina as an option. Do they have an RFA D that would fit in a swap for Murray?
What I automatically thought of when I looked at Carolina's D is Jake Gardiner and Justin Schultz played together in College, and they are good friends. You could look at Pesce straight up. Or maybe just trade Murray for #13OA. Anyway this is a good trade partner. Canes are a goalie away from being serious contenders IMO.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
What I automatically thought of when I looked at Carolina's D is Jake Gardiner and Justin Schultz played together in College, and they are good friends. You could look at Pesce straight up. Or maybe just trade Murray for #13OA. Anyway this is a good trade partner. Canes are a goalie away from being serious contenders IMO.

Don't think any GM would want to qualify Murray after the season he just had.

In fact, Murray is probably why an incredibly strong Pittsburgh team had to play in the play-in round.

Price on Murray is probably closer to 4-5th round pick.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Habs won't be held back with our future cause Price makes $10.5M. I have not looked at every team but I wonder how many teams are above $8M for two goalies. Think about it... Is $2M going to hurt you that much? I think we are in very interesting times... Flat cap due to Covid 19 and once we get past that, it might be the same time as when the new US TV deal and Seattle revenue kicks in. Before Covid 19, the cap was expected to be in the $84M - $88M range. I can only imagine how much it bumps forward in 3+ years. I think teams just need to weather the storm

Will be interesting to see how many goalies are paid $9M+ during Price's contract term. I just think it's comical where some fans think the $5M - $7M rate will stick forever.

Let's just look at the teams still in the playoffs.

Vegas $8.4M
Boston $9.25M
Tampa - this year $4.8M next year $10.8M
NYI $9.26M (for 3 goalies)
Philly $2.73M
Colorado $4.98M (3 goalies)
Dallas $7.4M
Vancouver $5.87 (3 goalies)

Not one team has a set of goalies that makes more than Price and only one will make a little more than Price next season

RSPens

May 25, 2015
If the Pens resign Schultz, then JR definitely needs to go.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Let's just look at the teams still in the playoffs.

Vegas $8.4M
Boston $9.25M
Tampa - this year $4.8M next year $10.8M
NYI $9.26M (for 3 goalies)
Philly $2.73M
Colorado $4.98M (3 goalies)
Dallas $7.4M
Vancouver $5.87 (3 goalies)

Not one team has a set of goalies that makes more than Price and only one will make a little more than Price next season

Obviously it will take time for the younger stars in net to catch up and get past ELC/Bridge deals. There are only so many top 5 guys like Price who have been among the best for over a decade. Price just set the bar and he is in year 2/8. Probably take year 5/8 before we start to see more $7M+ goalie contracts

Do you agree or not agree that the previous rate of $5M - $7M is in the past and the new rate will be $7M+?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If the Pens resign Schultz, then JR definitely needs to go.
Expansion draft exempt throws a curveball into trade possibilities. You have to think of protecting a player you trade for or trading for an exempt player.

I posed the question to a Canes fan, they do not seem to interested in Murray, which is astounding to me due to the current Goalies they have. I like Reimer, he's a nice guy and decent back up, but a cup winning goalie, I don't see it.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Obviously it will take time for the younger stars in net to catch up and get past ELC/Bridge deals. There are only so many top 5 guys like Price who have been among the best for over a decade. Price just set the bar and he is in year 2/8. Probably take year 5/8 before we start to see more $7M+ goalie contracts

Do you agree or not agree that the previous rate of $5M - $7M is in the past and the new rate will be $7M+?
I think we will have to see what a pair of cup winning goalies get this year before I can answer that question. I know this is an off year because of the situation with the cap, however there are still teams that are desperate for a goalie and there are a couple good options available.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think we will have to see what a pair of cup winning goalies get this year before I can answer that question. I know this is an off year because of the situation with the cap, however there are still teams that are desperate for a goalie and there are a couple good options available.

During the flat cap... goalies will be affected the most IMO. Only 31 starting jobs. But after the flat cap... I don't see the $5M - $7M rate sticking

RSPens

May 25, 2015
During the flat cap... goalies will be affected the most IMO. Only 31 starting jobs. But after the flat cap... I don't see the $5M - $7M rate sticking
I still think there are too many factors to predict what will happen, however we know that salaries are always going up. The main thing to consider here is not the amount that goalies will be making, but what percentage of the cap they will be making. Right now it seems like most good teams are in the 10% range (for both goalies). I see it being a problem for teams if this percentage climbs. Price alone makes almost 13% of the team cap. That extra 3% is about $2.5M. It doesn't sound like much, but spread around the team can make a huge difference. Or if it was going to a decent backup, then Price doesn't have to carry the team alone.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I'd take Murray in a heartbeat for Ottawa but I doubt we pay him considering we still have Nilsson on the books.
I think he lands in Edmonton.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Shultz will not he back in pitt unless its a crazy bargain one year deal

Honestly I'm not even comfortable with him on a 1 year, $1M deal with how badly his game fell off and how Sullivan continued to utilize him like it hadn't.
I'm much more concerned with the latter point than the former one as there are far worse cheap depth options out there for a team that doesn't have Jack Johnson on it or a coach with too many positive memories of a player who can't be that player anymore (depressing how badly Schultz has fallen off since the broken leg, a process not helped by the jet fuel fire that is being paired with Jack Johnson).

Last edited:
Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I personally think San Jose trades Jones just to sign Holtby, see Jones going to Detroit or whichever doesn't take the Pens goalie or Allen/Binnington. I could see Buffalo more likely doing it considering Eichel is losing faith in the team based on how bad the management is, they gotta prove it to him at this point.

Can't see the Sharks moving Jones. I don't see there being a market there for him. I'd like to see it happen but I don't think it will. Sharks will probably take a shot on someone on a modest contract that could be a starter if called upon. Like I could see the Sharks trading Sorensen and Pittsburgh's 3rd rounder back to Pittsburgh for Bjugstad and DeSmith but I think they'll avoid trading for big ticket goalies due to them having Jones.

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Can't see the Sharks moving Jones. I don't see there being a market there for him. I'd like to see it happen but I don't think it will. Sharks will probably take a shot on someone on a modest contract that could be a starter if called upon. Like I could see the Sharks trading Sorensen and Pittsburgh's 3rd rounder back to Pittsburgh for Bjugstad and DeSmith but I think they'll avoid trading for big ticket goalies due to them having Jones.
I would love to deal jones to Detroit. However I’m not willing to drop great assets to do it

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I would love to deal jones to Detroit. However I’m not willing to drop great assets to do it

I'd love to see Jones dealt anywhere honestly but for Detroit to take him from us, we'd have to offer them something of great worth and/or take a contract back. This also assumes that Detroit is one of the three teams Jones can be dealt to or that he'd be willing to expand that list given the circumstances. That's a tough thing for me to think would be the case. I would think most players will want to stay where they're at as much as is feasible but anything is possible. However, if Jones to Detroit is feasible, we're either paying them someone like Labanc or Ferraro or we're taking back someone like Abdelkader or some mixture of the two. I think a deal could be made between the two teams but don't know if it'd get off the ground due to Jones' NTC limitations.

Reactions: themelkman

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
Shultz will not he back in pitt unless its a crazy bargain one year deal

With the way JR threw him under the bus once Pens were knocked out, I cant see any way he comes back. He should have been throwing JMFJ under the same bus as well though, but needs to make him sound like he can maybe, possibly, somewhat play so that some even more stupid GM trades for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad