Rumor: Rutherford: 'Already interest' in Pens goalies

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
"I haven't gotten to the point yet where I'm having serious talks or seeing exactly how much I can get," Rutherford told The Athletic. "But I will say, I'm getting close to that point, to understanding just what people are willing to give. So, we'll see. I don't know exactly how it's going to go, but I can already see that there is going to be a lot of interest.
"There is already interest. And it looks like we're going to have to move one of them."

Fill article from TSN: Jim Rutherford: 'There is already interest' in Pittsburgh Penguins goalies - TSN.ca

No access to The Athletic, so not sure what the whole interview was like.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
There are a few teams that could use a 2 time cup winning goalie. However, when the entire league knows that Murray has a shaky glove hand and the fact that he is an RFA that will likely try to leverage his 2 cups into a big payout, I'm not sure what people would be willing to give up for him. As for Jarry, I don't see his overall game being as good as Murray, but what he does with the puck and the fact that he has no glaring holes, I really hope he's not the one being traded.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think it also depends on who signs Holtby. But I'm gonna guess Ottawa, Edmonton or Buffalo is where Murray lands. Think Ottawa would be perfect for him to redeem himself.

But if I was Edmonton or Buffalo I'd be all over him because he could have a low cap hit.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I think it also depends on who signs Holtby. But I'm gonna guess Ottawa, Edmonton or Buffalo is where Murray lands. Think Ottawa would be perfect for him to redeem himself.

But if I was Edmonton or Buffalo I'd be all over him because he could have a low cap hit.

Ottawa would be a decent spot depending on what he wants as an extension, we still got moneybags as our owner so that needs to be considered

RSPens

May 25, 2015

I think Holtby is an interesting case, because I can see him earning a much bigger salary than Murray. He has the better regular season pedigree and he does have 1 cup. The problem is that most teams don't have a lot of cap space and everyone knows what happened to Florida this past season. Overpaying for a goalie has rarely if ever worked out for the team.

Reactions: nofehr

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Which teams need a potential #1?

Jarry looked good this year but teams are weary of trading a lot for a goalie who hasn't started for at least a full season. Your either getting the next Darling/Lindback or Grubauer,

I bet more teams than you would expect are calling regardless of what their fan base is saying.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Now that they've taken Kapanen, perhaps they'll take a slightly used Johnsson and Bracco for their 2021 first round pick and one of Murray/Jarry. /s

Kapanen for Murray would have been a much easier trade...

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Now that they've taken Kapanen, perhaps they'll take a slightly used Johnsson and Bracco for their 2021 first round pick and one of Murray/Jarry. /s
Too late, the wild already have that pick. However to keep the jersey cost down, we could just trade Johns(s)on's?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Holtby is an interesting case, because I can see him earning a much bigger salary than Murray. He has the better regular season pedigree and he does have 1 cup. The problem is that most teams don't have a lot of cap space and everyone knows what happened to Florida this past season. Overpaying for a goalie has rarely if ever worked out for the team.

The flat cap will affect goalies more than players yes. But people need to come to grips that the $5M - $7M rate for goalies won't last forever. Are you saying Price and Vasilevskiy won't work out for the Habs and Lightning? Price is going to fall flat on his face eh? Wondering at what age? Some tried to say it was already happening :laugh:. Pretty sure Price will be team Canada's goalie at the age of 35.

Goalies are hard to nail down cause they go hand and hand with the teams D in front of them. Remember the "Habs are nothing without Price" propaganda? Well, those people ignored the context of the Habs playing sound D in front of Price with Thierrien. Julien has tried to implement a different strategy and Price became exposed. In this past playoffs, they got back to playing sound D.

Look at a guy like Halak. He sucked with the Islanders and is putting up the same numbers as Halak with the Bruins. Some teams can shelter a goalie and some can't. Clearly the Panthers team D can't shelter anybody

Teams will only trade for the Pens goalies if it is buy low to help them clear cap and give them some form of asset they can spare.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I legit thought that was going to be the trade before the details were released. Especially considering Andersen is entering next season as a UFA

I think the Leafs need to be careful with blaming Andersen as the reason why they loose elimination games. Didn't you learn with trading Kadri cause he stood up for his teammates? Andersen is one hell of a goalie and he shelters the Leafs horrible team D. Murray is not going to any better than what Andersen has IMO.

From the outside looking in... I think the Leafs need to be careful with how your team looks without Andersen. He is a good goalie man. Leafs have exposed him time and time again with the offensive first system.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
And I'm sure if those teams do actually trade for him, Pens fans aren't going to like the return very much.

Murray for Ceci.

Ceci resigned 7 yrs @$5.56mil

I can see it now.

Realistically though, I'm betting they may involve moving JJ or Bjugstad with them. Apparently Minnesota already tried something similar. Jarry+JJ for Zucker+Stalock before the other trade went down.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I think the Leafs need to be careful with blaming Andersen as the reason why they loose elimination games. Didn't you learn with trading Kadri cause he stood up for his teammates? Andersen is one hell of a goalie and he shelters the Leafs horrible team D. Murray is not going to any better than what Andersen has IMO.

From the outside looking in... I think the Leafs need to be careful with how your team looks without Andersen. He is a good goalie man. Leafs have exposed him time and time again with the offensive first system.
He's hot and cold. He can steal you games but has a knack for letting in absolute stinkers at critical times. I agree he's a fine goalie overall, but at his age he'll likely want a contract that will be bad news for a team with our cap structure.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
I was told Murray sucks and Jarry has no value right here on HF. How can this be, Jim? Don't you read HFBoards!?
HF certainly can get hyperbolic, but I'm not sure the word of the GM actively trying to trade these goalies is proof of much.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's hot and cold. He can steal you games but has a knack for letting in absolute stinkers at critical times. I agree he's a fine goalie overall, but at his age he'll likely want a contract that will be bad news for a team with our cap structure.

Be careful with thinking that digging through the goalie bargain bin is a better option. I'm a Habs fans and we beat the Leafs every game without Andersen this past year and we lost the game when Andersen played.

I'm just trying to give you guys advise and I would be worried about Dubas. Andersen is a huge part of your success. He shelters your team flaws on D over and over again. You will have a hard time replacing him IMO

Reactions: Maplebeasts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad