Rumor: Rutherford: 'Already interest' in Pens goalies

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
That is absolutely awful for Hawks

If Hawks were in on Pens goalie it would be Jarry given his age and costs going forward. Could see Hawks trading Pens 2nd back to them for him if it happened

To :hawks
G Tristan Jarry

To :pens
Penguins 2020 2nd round pick

If Pens need G back for AHL/#2 potentially then Hawks can add Kevin Lankinen in deal

As much as I don't like the guy, Casey DeSmith can serve as a backup even if he lost his passport this past season, was ok in the AHL this past year so whatever the hell a Kevin Lankinen it's not needed or wanted here, third, Murray is the likely and all signs point to the one traded so why in the hell are we trading Jarry the one they plan on keeping? Try to keep up with the program here sport.

Reactions: BHD

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Lol what has Eriksson-Ek done in the NHL to warrant being talked about like that? He's a defensive 3C with defensive 3C upside.

I'm willing to bet that a lot of people beating the "Murray has low trade value" are going to look very foolish when Murray is actually traded. He may not bring back a king's ransom, but some of the posts in here are hilariously off with what he'll bring back.

He's the wild only young c. Also he's a complete shutdown c & can score some. So yeah, Pittsburgh fans need to realize Murray doesn't have much value

Also no, wild aren't trading for a G like Murray after the struggles of Dubnyk & stalock.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He's the wild only young c. Also he's a complete shutdown c & can score some. So yeah, Pittsburgh fans need to realize Murray doesn't have much value

Also no, wild aren't trading for a G like Murray after the struggles of Dubnyk & stalock.

Just saying this doesn't make it true. Literally every single starting goalie trade in the last decade says you're wrong

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019

Actually they probably are Minn was listed as the top planning spot and its a known fact Billy G likes him..

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Just saying this doesn't make it true. Literally every single starting goalie trade in the last decade says you're wrong

If you actually think any team is giving up a young player like Joel Eriksson Ek or even a 1st round pick for Matt Murray, you are wrong

There's also market & demand. There are many Goalies in free agency, Teade market. Minnesota wild only need a Goalie for 1 year, maybe less as evident by the promotion of the Goalie coach from Minnesota AHL team. Kaapo kahkonen & alex Stalock will most likely be Minnesota wild Goalies next year

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Actually they probably are Minn was listed as the top planning spot and its a known fact Billy G likes him..

Again wrong. My gosh Pittsburgh fans are not in reality if you think Minnesota is trading Joel Eriksson Ek whose off limits or 1st round pick for Matt Murray considering alwx Stalock had even a better save percentage.

But hey according to you , Minnesota will. Hahs. You can say what you want, a person writing an article doesn't make it so.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Yeah, that's the problem. A team would be trading for the opportunity to pay Murray for the two Cups he won in Pittsburgh while assuming the risk that he just keeps putting up the same numbers he did this year. What a treat.

That’s going to be the thinking of any team acquiring him. They know what he can do, he just needs a fresh start, etc.

Regardless of what the Pens get for him, I’d rather move him than trade Jarry for a pick or something like that.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Is Stalock the starter then? It's pretty clear that Dubnyk is on his way out, and a starter is coming back in. Could be a UFA but I'm willing to bet Billy G is kicking the tires on Murray.
Hmm...if Minny is wanting Murray, I'd like to see something around Addison coming back to Pitt.

Maybe Addison and a 2nd?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Hmm...if Minny is wanting Murray, I'd like to see something around Addison coming back to Pitt.

Maybe Addison and a 2nd?
See, this is exactly why Minnesota should not be sniffing around Murray. We do not need to be giving up prime assets for a goalie when all we need is a replacement-level filler. There are plenty of those available.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
See, this is exactly why Minnesota should not be sniffing around Murray. We do not need to be giving up prime assets for a goalie when all we need is a replacement-level filler. There are plenty of those available.
Wow..sorry didn't realise that Addison was so high on your prospects list.

However, if you don't think that Murray will get at least a 2nd...then there's no point even discussing goalies with you.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Addison is currently listed as the 11th D in the depth charts. I just like him for the PPQB that he brings.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Wow..sorry didn't realise that Addison was so high on your prospects list.

However, if you don't think that Murray will get at least a 2nd...then there's no point even discussing goalies with you.
I'm not saying he won't return that. It looks to me like Rutherford has to get something choice for the guy, and I think there's a GM out there that will bite on that. I think a 2nd+ is pretty reasonable.

I'm just saying that, despite the Guerin/Pittsburgh connection, Minnesota should not be the team that bites on this. The team's greatest strength is it's blueline and team defense, and the upshot of that is that we tend to make goalies look really good. Our biggest problem last year was running possibly the worst tandem in the league. All we need to do is upgrade from The Worst to Not Bad. Murray, at the price he is likely to command, is overkill.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Addison is currently listed as the 11th D in the depth charts. I just like him for the PPQB that he brings.
With Menell jumping to the KHL yesterday, Addison is probably the best top-4 defensive prospect we've got. And with the team looking at trying to turn one of Dumba or Brodin into a center this summer, that expansion-exempt depth is relatively important right now.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Murray's value is almost impossible to gauge, but some guesses I have seen are Puljujarvi one for one. Or the Grubauer trade as a model in which it is suggested that maybe Minny would consider Murray and Bjugstad for a 2nd, so basically a 2nd and a favor. And the lowest I saw was just a 2nd round pick.

So yeah maybe Billy G sees Addison as being too good to add a pick to, but maybe not.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Murray's value is almost impossible to gauge, but some guesses I have seen are Puljujarvi one for one. Or the Grubauer trade as a model in which it is suggested that maybe Minny would consider Murray and Bjugstad for a 2nd, so basically a 2nd and a favor. And the lowest I saw was just a 2nd round pick.

So yeah maybe Billy G sees Addison as being too good to add a pick to, but maybe not.
I admit, the Murray + Bjugstad for a 2nd idea isn't crazy. Between him and Rask that's a lot of dead cap on forwards that won't play... but if it's just for a year I'm not sure how much it really impacts us.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I'm not saying he won't return that. It looks to me like Rutherford has to get something choice for the guy, and I think there's a GM out there that will bite on that. I think a 2nd+ is pretty reasonable.

I'm just saying that, despite the Guerin/Pittsburgh connection, Minnesota should not be the team that bites on this. The team's greatest strength is it's blueline and team defense, and the upshot of that is that we tend to make goalies look really good. Our biggest problem last year was running possibly the worst tandem in the league. All we need to do is upgrade from The Worst to Not Bad. Murray, at the price he is likely to command, is overkill.

I get what you are saying...but you also need to realise that Murray has been playing in behind a very weak defensive team. Letang is rarely strong defensively, Petterson gets hit more than almost any other d-man in the league (meaning he is slow to move the puck), Marino was a rookie (so rookie mistakes happen), JJ and Schultz are just brutal as a third pair. Dumo is the only strong defensive defenseman they have and he is always having to cover for Letang's miscalculations. Now for team defence, the Pens show that they can do it (when playing in front of Jarry), but they either don't back check hard enough to help, or the over back check and forget to pick up the trailer. Billy G is aware of all this stuff and he knows that Minny is strong defensively. If Murray is going to succeed anywhere, it will be behind a team like the Wild, Calgary or another strong defensive system like the Islanders.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Zero percent chance.

Minnesota just needs a G for a year or two
What if Billy is allowed to negotiate with Murray and they agree to a 2 year contract that is barely more than the $3.75M he's getting now? Murray comes in, has a strong year, raises his value and then Billy could cash in, or hang on to him.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What if Billy is allowed to negotiate with Murray and they agree to a 2 year contract that is barely more than the $3.75M he's getting now? Murray comes in, has a strong year, raises his value and then Billy could cash in, or hang on to him.

If any GM hoping to acquire him isn't allowed to negotiate beforehand, the most he'll return is a 4th. Negotiating beforehand is a given, not an added bonus.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020

Still zero chance this happens! Wild want to protect Kaapo Kahkonen from Expansion draft, so any Goalie they trade for is 1 year.

Wild hiring Kaapo Kahkonen AHL Goalie coach meaning it's Kaapo kahkonen & Stalock next year, then Stalock will be exposed

Pitter Patter

May 20, 2020
If any GM hoping to acquire him isn't allowed to negotiate beforehand, the most he'll return is a 4th. Negotiating beforehand is a given, not an added bonus.
Bonuses are always added, just saying bonus is sufficient.

Jackpot Jaret

Oct 22, 2014
Again wrong. My gosh Pittsburgh fans are not in reality if you think Minnesota is trading Joel Eriksson Ek whose off limits or 1st round pick for Matt Murray considering alwx Stalock had even a better save percentage.

But hey according to you , Minnesota will. Hahs. You can say what you want, a person writing an article doesn't make it so.

Aren't you the same guy that thinks an upcoming UFA Jonas Brodin is worth I. Shestyorkin? Speaking of not in reality...............

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Price, in terms of assets to acquire? Or price, in terms of how much money Murray will demand? Because in the case of the latter, I don't think his salary will be too high. Between his down season and the cap being flat, chances are he'd be willing to take a 2 or 3 year "prove me" deal at around $5-ish million per.

As far as what the Wild need of their goalie, I'd argue that *because* your team does well defensively then acquiring someone who has the potential to really shine behind that kind of team defense would make a lot of sense. The times Murray has generally looked elite are the times the Pens actually committed to strong team defense. His "shaky" performances usually coincided with the Pens running around giving up odd man breaks like they were going out of style and treating backchecking like it was optional.

Of all the teams he could potentially go to, I actually think Minnesota is one of the ones where I think you'd see a return to his back to back Cup form.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad