Russia may use WNBA star Griner as high profile "hostage" UPD prisoner swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.

A dope who bounces a ball for a guy who smuggles weapons and got caught trying to sell them where they WOULD BE USED AGAINST U.S. FORCES

Unfortunately espionage is a bit more serious charge than drug possession.

Russians were never going to do a two for one. They have to come out looking like they got the upper hand. The advantages were all in their favor here.
They come out looking like they have the upper hand because they DO have the upper hand

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

This is great to hear! Her treatment by the Russians was unforgivable. Her crime was petty and did not call for what happened to her.

This should be yet another warning for Canadians who are still going over to play hockey. They're insane for doing so.

Not if you're Paul Whelan
Whelan's release can be yet another demand thrown on the pile for when Russia asks for terms from Ukraine.

Reactions: NextBigThing

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
This is great to hear! Her treatment by the Russians was unforgivable. Her crime was petty and did not call for what happened to her.

This should be yet another warning for Canadians who are still going over to play hockey. They're insane for doing so.

Whelan's release can be yet another demand thrown on the pile for when Russia asks for terms from Ukraine.
By then The Merchant of Death will be plotting his next move to harm Americans

Reactions: Voight

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
By then The Merchant of Death will be plotting his next move to harm Americans
The reason seems obvious why Russia demanded an arms dealer in exchange for Griner but buddy had better hurry when he gets back to the office. The way things are going it's going to be over before he reconnects with all of his people.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
sadly, v
The reason seems obvious why Russia demanded an arms dealer in exchange for Griner but buddy had better hurry when he gets back to the office. The way things are going it's going to be over before he reconnects with all of his people.
in today's world, i suspect Viktor can operate remotely.....from anywhere

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Swap made.

Last edited:

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

Swap made.

While I'm glad she's home I will say that she should never have gone over in the first place. The signs were there that something big was happening. The KHL even suspended its regular season - probably because they didn't want teams flying back and forth through Ukrainian airspace.

This needs to be a warning to athletes - don't go to Russia or any of her allies right now. Stay away until things get sorted out.

Disgusting...

We freed the man who armed The Taliban, AL-Qaeda, African Warlords, Bosnia, Gaddafi and Hezbollah for an athlete who broke the law.

Should she be brought back? Sure. At this cost? Hell no
Would people be so negative about her if she was a white heterosexual male? That is the elephant in the room. One of them anyway.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Disgusting...

We freed the man who armed The Taliban, AL-Qaeda, African Warlords, Bosnia, Gaddafi and Hezbollah for an athlete who broke the law.

Should she be brought back? Sure. At this cost? Hell no

Yup this was a horrible trade. Bout is going to be seeking revenge and whatever happens, will lie on those who decided to free him.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
While I'm glad she's home I will say that she should never have gone over in the first place. The signs were there that something big was happening. The KHL even suspended its regular season - probably because they didn't want teams flying back and forth through Ukrainian airspace.

This needs to be a warning to athletes - don't go to Russia or any of her allies right now. Stay away until things get sorted out.

Would people be so negative about her if she was a white heterosexual male? That is the elephant in the room. One of them anyway.
i would have traded her for any number of said white heteros. the point is Viktor Bout was arrested in a sting trying to arm counter forces where the weapons he was trying to peddle were to be used against United States forces. AT THE VERY LEAST, Paul Whelen should have been part of this deal.

Putin had this done intentionally for this very reason, AND IT WORKED!

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Yes. Hard to feel sorry for someone who openly broke the law. Regardless you shouldn't be trading a convicted arms dealer (who has supplied multiple organizations that want to harm Americans) for this type of prisoner.

If Griner wasn't semi-famous, she'd still be in prison.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

How many politicians have made public statements praising Paul Whelan? How many athletes have worn shirts saying "Free Paul Whelan"? When did LeBron take up the charge to bring Paul Whelan home?

...exactly

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Yes. Hard to feel sorry for someone who openly broke the law. Regardless you shouldn't be trading a convicted arms dealer (who has supplied multiple organizations that want to harm Americans) for this type of prisoner.

If Griner wasn't semi-famous, she'd still be in prison.
I fail to see why people are so insistant that she be punished harshly for such a petty, chicken crap law.

I guess some people enjoy the suffering of others.

How many politicians have made public statements praising Paul Whelan? How many athletes have worn shirts saying "Free Paul Whelan"? When did LeBron take up the charge to bring Paul Whelan home?

...exactly
Paul Whelan was mentioned prominently in this morning's comments from the White House.

As a thank you to the west for their ongoing support Ukraine could include his release (And the release of many others) as one of the many terms of surrender they present the Russians.

Reactions: oknazevad

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I fail to see why people are so insistant that she be punished harshly for such a petty, chicken crap law.

I guess some people enjoy the suffering of others.

Paul Whelan was mentioned prominently in this morning's comments from the White House.

As a thank you to the west for their ongoing support Ukraine could include his release (And the release of many others) as one of the many terms of surrender they present the Russians.
Unless Russia ws willing to exchange her for some minor criminal she should have been left in Russia.

And so what??

Russia had the upper hand here. I get some people are going to have a hard time understanding that but that's what it is.

Also note the statement from the Whelan family I posted above.... they understand it too.
They did not have the upper hand. Just leave her in Russia.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Unless Russia ws willing to exchange her for some minor criminal she should have been left in Russia.

Why do you hate her so much? No human being deserved what she went through. She made a small mistake and broke a petty law - she should have been convicted, thrown out of the country and told never to come back. That's how stablel, functioning countries work.

Last edited:

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
And so what??

Russia had the upper hand here. I get some people are going to have a hard time understanding that but that's what it is.

Also note the statement from the Whelan family I posted above.... they understand it too.
Paul himself feels differently

" I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY I'M STILL SITTING HERE"

Yep. She could have rotted there for all I give a shit

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Having trouble dealing with the reality of this??
No just the stupidity of it

Why do you hate her so much? No human being deserved what she went through. She made a small mistake and broke a petty law - she should have been convicted, thrown out of the country and told never to come back. That's how stablel, functioning countries work.
Russia is barely functioning and is far from a stable country

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

Sorry, but bringing any drugs into another country isn't a small mistake. Doing as such is either intentional, or exhibits stupidity of the highest order.

There are links to Russian law in this thread. She was treated no differently than average Ivan is in the same circumstance.
But lucky for her she can dribble a basketball well. Her notoriety ensured public outcry would occur and political pressure put on politicians to seek her release.

Unfortunately the end result of her stupidity is that a nasty arms dealer being released back into the world.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Russia is barely functioning and is far from a stable country
I know that. They are the farthest thing from being stable or functional right now. That's why they ran someone through a Stalinist show trial and condemned to a work camp for virtually no reason whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad