Russia may use WNBA star Griner as high profile "hostage" UPD prisoner swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holls Blackmail

“We’re not…how you say….pu*** boys here”
Oct 9, 2021
Did she break a law there? I'm not intimate with the details on this.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Wasn't this kind of obvious? Maybe she had drugs, but high chance they were planted on her. Dictators love this move.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Wasn't this kind of obvious? Maybe she had drugs, but high chance they were planted on her. Dictators love this move.
If the article is true, I would imagine they would have used more serious drugs (say a bit of cocaine) and less ostensibly not in line with the accusation, the article says:

Griner was arrested at an airport near Moscow last month after Russian authorities searched her luggage and allegedly found vape cartridges containing hashish oil. The Russian Federal Customs Service issued a statement on Saturday that it has opened a criminal investigation into the large-scale transportation of drugs, which in Russia can carry a prison sentence of up to 10 years.

Having some vape cartrdiges in your luggage sound personnal consumption and not large-scale transportion of drugs at all (it could be some strange translation or a bad report, I do not know), but it look like overcharging.

Reactions: abo9

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
If the article is true, I would imagine they would have used more serious drugs (say a bit of cocaine) and less ostensibly not in line with the accusation, the article says:

Griner was arrested at an airport near Moscow last month after Russian authorities searched her luggage and allegedly found vape cartridges containing hashish oil. The Russian Federal Customs Service issued a statement on Saturday that it has opened a criminal investigation into the large-scale transportation of drugs, which in Russia can carry a prison sentence of up to 10 years.

Having some vape cartrdiges in your luggage sound personnal consumption and not large-scale transportion of drugs at all (it could be some strange translation or a bad report, I do not know), but it look like overcharging.

Article 228 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation:

"1. Illegal acquisition, storage, transportation, making or processing of narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances or analogues thereof on a large scale, as well as illegal acquisition, storage and transportation without the purpose of selling plants containing narcotics or psychotropic substances, or parts thereof containing narcotics or psychotropic substances on a large scale, without the purpose of sale -
Shall be punishable with a fine in an amount of up to 40 thousand roubles, or in the amount of the wage or salary, or any other income of the convicted person for a period of up to three months, or by compulsory works for a term of up to 480 hours, or by corrective labour for a term of up to two years, or by restriction of liberty for a term of up to three years, or by deprivation of liberty for the same term.

2. The same deeds committed on an especially large scale -
Shall be punishable by deprivation of liberty for a term of three to 10 years with or without a fine in an amount of up to 500 thousand roubles or in the amount of the wage or salary, or any other income of the convicted person for a period of up to three years.
"

Large scale would mean more than two grams in the case of hashish.

Holls Blackmail

“We’re not…how you say….pu*** boys here”
Oct 9, 2021
Allegedly had drugs in her vaping canisters when she landed in Russian (to play in the WNBA off season).
Thank you.

I'm as anti-Russian as you'll find but is it not at least 50/50 that she possessed the drugs on her own volition?

Cynicaps

Aug 19, 2011
Why do I get the sinking feeling that Russia will extradite her on the condition they recall their NHLers?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

US finally allowed consular access.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
She should be entitled to a fair trial, but it does not necessarily follow that she should be released.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad