Russia may use WNBA star Griner as high profile "hostage" UPD prisoner swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Fairly certain this issue is close to the bottom on Putin's priority list. Being a risk-free thumb in America's eye will ensure it stays there for a while.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Personal plea

The LeBron comparison is BS IMO. & while I feel for a person locked inside a Russian prison, subservient to the "justice" system, I personally would not trade someone like Viktor Bout for her. Also she's lucky to have somewhat of a platform, I'm sure theres others there wrongfully imprisoned who dont have the same luxury.

Also, not to be an arse, & I get its Russia were talking about, but she did technically break the law by transporting has (even if the Reds made it seem like a much worse thing than it actually is)

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
This is a terrible situation and it's a horrible reason for what she's being charged for.

That said, read the laws of the countries you're traveling to guys! Especially if your a rec user for something like marijuana, it's not legal and/or accepted everywhere still. It took decades to even get it accepted and legalized here in NA, and people also were persecuted with sentences like this here (imo completely egregious). This is an unfortunate cautionary tale.

Reactions: Reaser and DoyleG

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This is a terrible situation and it's a horrible reason for what she's being charged for.

That said, read the laws of the countries you're traveling to guys! Especially if your a rec user for something like marijuana, it's not legal and/or accepted everywhere still. It took decades to even get it accepted and legalized here in NA, and people also were persecuted with sentences like this here (imo completely egregious). This is an unfortunate cautionary tale.

& don't do anything illegal in a hostile foreign country. I get the Reds are making this a bigger deal than it is, but she still broke the law.

Reactions: Reaser and cg98

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Russia doesn't have close to the ‘marijuana culture’ USA/Canada does. But, although illegal, it isnt overly uncommon….especially with the kids.

But bringing it into the country? Yea I wouldnt recommend that. Like at all. WTF is she thinking?

Reactions: Reaser and cg98

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Russia doesn't have close to the ‘marijuana culture’ USA/Canada does. But, although illegal, it isnt overly uncommon….especially with the kids.

But bringing it into the country? Yea I wouldnt recommend that. Like at all. WTF is she thinking?
I wouldn't bring it into any country, even one that allows it. Just gives Customs a reason to search all of your stuff.

Reactions: DoyleG and Reaser

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Bad trade IMO. Bout is a dangerous &well connected man who could very well do his best to get revenge on the US once free (which will be VERY soon if Russia gets him back)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Sentenced 9.5 years. Griner pleads for leniency, not wanting to die in prison.

Shes only what, 31? A long ways from old age

Yea, Russian prisons aren't exactly the safest places in the world but its not North Korea or China.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad