NFL: Russell Wilson benched - his Broncos tenure appears to be over

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Good for Russ. Don't let Payton and the Broncos try to bully and threaten you into giving up what you negotiated. For all of his faults (there are a lot of them!) he sure did show a lot of leadership and professionalism by not letting any of this come out until after they benched him. Not a single peep from him or anyone in his camp while this was apparently going on for two months behind the scenes. He even let that snake Payton repeatedly embarrass and berate him in the media and on the sideline and just kept it moving.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Sorry but you lost the argument and just went into fantasy land.

Peyton would have had multiple options available and the same money.

He needs to quit crying and blaming everything in Russell, he went there knowing the score

You lost the argument when claimed Miami would have paid yet they went behind the saints back and ohh that rights got fined for doing so. Yeah Miami sounded real “serious” as they ran away once they found out about his ask and didn’t want to pay the picks on top of the money.

How many other teams paid the ask for his rights and offered him a $100 million that is front loaded.
That’s what I thought

Wilson is TRASH, people do not like this guy, teammates, coaches,
Payton took the money the from the richest owner who is worth like $80 billion dollars.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Good for Russ. Don't let Payton and the Broncos try to bully and threaten you into giving up what you negotiated. For all of his faults (there are a lot of them!) he sure did show a lot of leadership and professionalism by not letting any of this come out until after they benched him. Not a single peep from him or anyone in his camp while this was apparently going on for two months behind the scenes. He even let that snake Payton repeatedly embarrass and berate him in the media and on the sideline and just kept it moving.
Russ is still going to get his $39 mill next season regardless of whether he plays or not. Most realistic option for Russ though is that he's staring at a Baker type contract for the 2024 season. 1 year at 7 figures. No team is guaranteeing him multiple years at this point going into year 13, in his mid 30's who does not play well from the pocket.

Russ, like Cam, Wentz, etc. is not a backup QB. Even the others who will hit the market like Tanny and Jimmy, I am not sure either is ready to be a backup. Both have made well over $100 million in their careers, so they could both call it a career if the phone does not ring.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Russ, like Cam, Wentz, etc. is not a backup QB. Even the others who will hit the market like Tanny and Jimmy, I am not sure either is ready to be a backup. Both have made well over $100 million in their careers, so they could both call it a career if the phone does not ring.

I wonder how many of these guys consider something like what Flacco did this year. Wait a handful of weeks, see how the injuries shake out (there will always be numerous QB injuries), and end up with more, better options.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wonder how many of these guys consider something like what Flacco did this year. Wait a handful of weeks, see how the injuries shake out (there will always be numerous QB injuries), and end up with more, better options.
All of them have made big money. Really, it's ego. Cause, they are not going to be sitting on the couch and then when an injury occurs a team will hand out a $15 mill contract to finish the season. If they can stomach a $7 figure contract at that point, then they can follow what Flacco did.
Or they do a more incentive based contract if they think they are worth more.

Also depends on HC & OC that has the injured QB. Need to fit the system and know it coming in.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I think some guys will consider it, but it's probably not the ideal one for any of them. Flacco himself wouldn't have done that if he'd had a better option.

That said, maybe it works better for a guy like Wilson whose ego won't permit being number two but whose ego means most teams don't want him to be number one.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The downside is what happens if there aren't the same rash of injuries next season? If waiting for the right opportunity turns into not playing at all for a season, it could be the end of the line entirely as a guy teams would consider.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The downside is what happens if there aren't the same rash of injuries next season? If waiting for the right opportunity turns into not playing at all for a season, it could be the end of the line entirely as a guy teams would consider.
Russ is limited to Carroll, Bevell, Schotty as HC, OC who had success with him. Pete’s offensive coaching tree pales in comparison with those on D. Wentz has not started yet this season. If teams won’t give him a chance to start not sure I see that happening for Russ.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
1703806615665.png

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
falcons fan here I would take him. even if he turns toxic hes still better then what we got lol
Are the Falcons not rebuilding? I am not sure they would want a toxic presence in the room as the team grows together. It would also hurt the cap flexibility when trying to acquire and retain talent.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Are the Falcons not rebuilding? I am not sure they would want a toxic presence in the room as the team grows together. It would also hurt the cap flexibility when trying to acquire and retain talent.
Falcons would not claim Russ or trade for him. He would be a signing after getting cut. I would imagine given the 2 years he is coming off with Denver he doesn't get a 1 year deal at 8 figures. Looking more likley at a Baker 1 year deal at $8.5 mill that he got with TB.

Main reason a team won't claim Russ is that his 2025 base salary of $37 million becomes fully guaranteed in March 2024. So, if you claimed him, you are then on the hook for his $17 mill 2024 base salary, $22 mill of 2024 option bonus, and $37 mill of 2025 base salary as he walks through the door. $76 million fully guaranteed. No team is taking that on.

Russ can afford to take less elsewhere because he will be paid $39 mill for 2024. Denver covers the balance between what Russ would sign for with another team and that $39 mill ($17 mil base and $22 option bonus.).

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Falcons would not claim Russ or trade for him. He would be a signing after getting cut. I would imagine given the 2 years he is coming off with Denver he doesn't get a 1 year deal at 8 figures. Looking more likley at a Baker 1 year deal at $8.5 mill that he got with TB.

Main reason a team won't claim Russ is that his 2025 base salary of $37 million becomes fully guaranteed in March 2024. So, if you claimed him, you are then on the hook for his $17 mill 2024 base salary, $22 mill of 2024 option bonus, and $37 mill of 2025 base salary as he walks through the door. $76 million fully guaranteed. No team is taking that on.

Russ can afford to take less elsewhere because he will be paid $39 mill for 2024. Denver covers the balance between what Russ would sign for with another team and that $39 mill ($17 mil base and $22 option bonus.).

So why would any team offer more than the vet minimum? unless a team offers over 39 mil then he is making the same amount, the only difference is who issues the check

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So why would any team offer more than the vet minimum? unless a team offers over 39 mil then he is making the same amount, the only difference is who issues the check
Not sure if players have the same obligation as coaches do with regards to negotiating the best deal they can while still getting paid by another team. Reich was not just getting 6 figures from Carolina after being fired by Indy. Rhule didn't take 6 figures at Nebraska after his firing from Carolina. If Josh McDaniels returns to OC that will certainly be at much less than HC money.

For Russ vs most others it is more opportunity and fit based vs salary based. He will have just a couple or so suitors for his services.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Again, good on him for speaking on it and laying everything out. Broncos have every right to protect themselves but they come out looking terrible here, especially this clown:

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021

Again, good on him for speaking on it and laying everything out. Broncos have every right to protect themselves but they come out looking terrible here, especially this clown:

Both parties rightfully looking out for their own best interests here.

Wilson did the right thing by not budging.

EDIT : lmao at Sean Payton thinking anyone gives a shit about his birthday.

Last edited:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Russell Wilson leaving Seattle is probably the most damning thing in his career, legacy wise. Money wise it was fine but he's been exposed by the severe faults in his game. Pete Carroll took a lot of abuse from everyone, whom were saying 'let Russ cook' or 'let Russ be Russ'.

Turns out, Russ cooking and being himself turned out to be one massive cringe fest. Pete Caroll and John Schneider, whom took punch after punch from everyone made Seattle still churning out to be playoff contenders ever since Chef Russ left.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
broncos look terrible don't blame wilson at all for not budging if they actually came to him and said that lol.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Don’t have an issue with the team asking him to remove the guarantee for 2025 which vests in 2024. I mean teams threaten to cut guys if there is no restructuring but to threaten to bench him? Hmmm….

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Wilson doesnt and shouldn't have to budge on his contract

But Denver doesnt have to cater to this prima-donna, and I'm pumped to see the pushback against him

He looked average at best this season for a small stretch
he looked like A$$ for 3 seasons before this (2 in seattle, 1 in denver)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well they definitely managed to turn him back into a face. Who is asking him though? Because Payton kept him in the lineup and he’s not just taking all the heat, but fanning the flames toward himself, for what’s obviously an organizational decision.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Wilson doesnt and shouldn't have to budge on his contract

But Denver doesnt have to cater to this prima-donna, and I'm pumped to see the pushback against him

He looked average at best this season for a small stretch
he looked like A$$ for 3 seasons before this (2 in seattle, 1 in denver)

Mr Unlimited.
Let Russ Cook.
Let Russ be Russ.
DangeRuss Wilson.
Broncos Country, let's ride.

I mean, all of these look good when you are winning and are the sole reason the team is winning. Where did it go wrong, when did Wilson grow such an ego that he had to be 'the shit'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad