NFL: Russell Wilson benched - his Broncos tenure appears to be over

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Pisses me off to see the disrespect that Russ has been shown over his career from fans, talking heads, and now the Head Coach and even ownership.

I'm not a Seattle fan or even necessarily a Russ fan, but I find him to be one of the more disrespected players. Just because he's a little goofy doesn't mean he should get trashed at every avenue. I'd much rather see a guy like him be a goofball than assaulting people, or acting like a goon.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Pisses me off to see the disrespect that Russ has been shown over his career from fans, talking heads, and now the Head Coach and even ownership.

I'm not a Seattle fan or even necessarily a Russ fan, but I find him to be one of the more disrespected players. Just because he's a little goofy doesn't mean he should get trashed at every avenue. I'd much rather see a guy like him be a goofball than assaulting people, or acting like a goon.

Russell Wilson isn't innocent in all of this, he forced his way out of Seattle because his ego got bigger than the team.

NFL media, fans were glamouring on Russell Wilson but his ego go in the way of what was supposed to be a team effort. The 'Let Russ Cook', 'Mr. Unlimited', 'Let Russ be Russ', 'I wanna be like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning', 'I wanna win an MVP' stuff was so out there and so bad.

Pete Carroll took a lot of abuse from everyone on how he was handling Russell Wilson, protected him from criticism and what not. Wilson outside of the Pete Caroll system exposed how limited his skill set is, also he's been injured which didn't help his case either as his athleticism of getting older got to him.

Also, what former teammate from Seattle has gone to bat for him? If you manage to irritate Marshawn Lynch of all people, then there is something wrong with you.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Russell Wilson isn't innocent in all of this, he forced his way out of Seattle because his ego got bigger than the team.

NFL media, fans were glamouring on Russell Wilson but his ego go in the way of what was supposed to be a team effort. The 'Let Russ Cook', 'Mr. Unlimited', 'Let Russ be Russ', 'I wanna be like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning', 'I wanna win an MVP' stuff was so out there and so bad.

Pete Carroll took a lot of abuse from everyone on how he was handling Russell Wilson, protected him from criticism and what not. Wilson outside of the Pete Caroll system exposed how limited his skill set is, also he's been injured which didn't help his case either as his athleticism of getting older got to him.

Also, what former teammate from Seattle has gone to bat for him? If you manage to irritate Marshawn Lynch of all people, then there is something wrong with you.
Yeah I agree that Russ was an ego issue on his way out of Seattle, but this whole situation in Denver has just been f***ed. I'm not sure I've ever heard of a player being threatened into modifying their contract like this.

He's had a weird career arc of being over-hyped at times and slagged off at other times, but also I think he has gotten a lot of criticism just for being a goof in a world where everyone is supposed to be cool. (Except for Mike McDaniels lol).

I don't know about how most former teammates support him. I am familiar with the Marshawn situation, and I wonder if that Super Bowl interception hadn't happened if Marshawn would have had much of an issue with Russ and Pete.

Either way, I guess my main point is just that I hate to see people ripping on Russ just because he's goofy. Not everyone has to be tough or Mr. Cool Guy all the time. Not directing that at you, just fans and some media outlets in general.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Either way, I guess my main point is just that I hate to see people ripping on Russ just because he's goofy. Not everyone has to be tough or Mr. Cool Guy all the time. Not directing that at you, just fans and some media outlets in general.

It didn’t help Russell Wilson when he started to branch off for that idiotic ‘Broncos Country, let’s ride’ bullshit or that even cringeworthy Subway commercial.

His entourage should be blamed for that mess

Reactions: TheAngryHank

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
It didn’t help Russell Wilson when he started to branch off for that idiotic ‘Broncos Country, let’s ride’ bullshit or that even cringeworthy Subway commercial.

Yea, definitely made himself into a meme with all that crap lol.

• Haha
Reactions: EpochLink

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

At some point during his time in Seattle, he moved towards celebrity and acting like one within the team, which Carroll kept quiet. But, clearly behind the scenes, Seattle was readying themselves for it with Schneider scouting Mahomes and Allen. They knew that they were not going to give him another contract.

One can be arrogant in their abilities, but man, was Russ misguided thinking he could play from the pocket.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
At some point during his time in Seattle, he moved towards celebrity and acting like one within the team, which Carroll kept quiet. But, clearly behind the scenes, Seattle was readying themselves for it with Schneider scouting Mahomes and Allen. They knew that they were not going to give him another contract.

One can be arrogant in their abilities, but man, was Russ misguided thinking he could play from the pocket.

That was never his game, Wilson's play was designed to throw the deep ball while moving around/outside the pocket. His legs and feet were his bread and butter but when he started to wear down due to injuries, he couldn't navigate within those combines.

One of the main issues with Russ was he never really learned how to play from the pocket. He could extend the plays with his legs and such but as a pure pocket passer, he was terrible. Can't read the defense, horrible pocket awareness, can't notice the pocket collapsing, etc.

Carroll masked all the weaknesses he had so that he was able to play to his strengths.

Reactions: Voight

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008

We can't forget about what was given up in draft capital and hard cash..Dude getting outplayed by minshew and his backup Geno.. You add that to all the celebrity garbage and all the cringe garbage he does.. Yeah he gonna take some and then some.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
One of the main issues with Russ was he never really learned how to play from the pocket. He could extend the plays with his legs and such but as a pure pocket passer, he was terrible. Can't read the defense, horrible pocket awareness, can't notice the pocket collapsing, etc.
Seattle made the mistake of thinking he might be able to develop that part of his game, thus the deal to land Graham. But, Russ can't work the middle of the field. Needed a WR not a TE.

Seattle adjusted to what Russ could do. Russ didn't seem to understand his limitations.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Ownership is to blame too. I mean, they let the dude have his own office and basicallygave him the LeGM treatment in a way.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Seattle made the mistake of thinking he might be able to develop that part of his game, thus the deal to land Graham. But, Russ can't work the middle of the field. Needed a WR not a TE.

Seattle adjusted to what Russ could do. Russ didn't seem to understand his limitations.

Getting Jimmy Graham was a mistake, they traded away Max Unger for him and their offensive line quickly went to the toilet.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
IMG_1088.jpg

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Getting Jimmy Graham was a mistake, they traded away Max Unger for him and their offensive line quickly went to the toilet.
Unger was hurt for a couple of games in each of the final 2 years before the trade. Even with that, it definitely altered the offense with him gone. Run game not the same, in addition to Lynch slowing down. Recall he still needed to get stretch out to loosen his back, thus Turbin actually lined up to start the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad