NFL: Russell Wilson benched - his Broncos tenure appears to be over

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don’t understand why Peyton would have the right to cry so much.

He picked the Denver knowing 100% what the situation was there, nobody forced him to accept it

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Broncos are still alive for the playoffs too. They win both games, they’re 9-8 and in the mix.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don’t understand why Peyton would have the right to cry so much.

He picked the Denver 100% what the situation was there, nobody forced him to accept it

Should've waited for the Chargers job to open up, Staley was likely a goner anything short of a conference title or SB run this year.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Should've waited for the Chargers job to open up, Staley was likely a goner anything short of a conference title or SB run this year.
Rumors he wanted the job but Chargers didn’t want to pay it out.

Don’t know what’s next for Russ, man. Nice payout but hard to see where he gets a job that’s fully committed to him.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
As i expected, Denver is going to try to get out of that contract.

Now trying and doing are two different things given the cap implications are insane, but i kinda figured this would be the outcome after the way Payton's body language towards him looked on Sunday. Straight up hatred of Russ.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t really see where Russ has a spot other than maybe Pittsburgh? Atlanta if they don’t want to draft a QB?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Stidham vs. The Hockey Stick..........scintillating matchup Sunday. :laugh: I guess Payton is willing to risk the slight chance they have of making the playoffs just to be rid of DangeRuss.
I think people are underestimating just how small those odds actually are. They would need to win out and then hope for KC drop their last two games.

Fiddling around with the playoff machine shows that's their only path in. At 9-8 they lose to pretty much every other team in the mix; Houston (beat Denver earlier in the year), Indy (Jacksonville wins division based on tiebreaker and drops them to 7th)

I know people are saying "but they're punting the season!" but that's not really true when the season was truly punted when they blew a lead against the Pats.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
As i expected, Denver is going to try to get out of that contract.

Now trying and doing are two different things given the cap implications are insane, but i kinda figured this would be the outcome after the way Payton's body language towards him looked on Sunday. Straight up hatred of Russ.
There is no getting out of it in terms of a trade. The key point is the vesting of the 2025 base salary which becomes Fully Guaranteed by the first week of the new NFL season in late March 2024. So, if you keep him for the 2024 season, the $37 mill for 2025 is guaranteed. The 2024 base salary for $39 mill is already guaranteed.

No team is picking up Russ (waivers or trade) to have $39 and then $37 mill guaranteed walking through the door the next 2 seasons.

Kyler Murray's contract is similar in that future years vests a full year earlier. I think Zeke's agent set the blueprint for it with his contract. Cards would have to eat the 2024 base salary if they try to get off Kyler's contract, if they take a QB in this draft. 2025 vests in March 2024. 2026 vests in March 2025.

• Haha
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
funny thing is that russ has been much better this season compared to last and the broncos are very much still alive after that horrible start. i'm sure payton lobbied hard for this so he could have his own guy to develop next season

it'll be interesting to see where russ goes from here with that contract. can't see many teams lining up for his services

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
That's OK, I'm sure his contract is cheap to move on from and there will be no cap implications going forward.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
funny thing is that russ has been much better this season compared to last and the broncos are very much still alive after that horrible start. i'm sure payton lobbied hard for this so he could have his own guy to develop next season

it'll be interesting to see where russ goes from here with that contract. can't see many teams lining up for his services
Assuming that Russ is cut, which means Denver is responsible for the $39 mill. If there is offset language in the contract, Russ can take a lower contract, like in the teens or something, to sign a deal where only 2024 salary or a SB is guaranteed only. Denver would be on the hook for the balance of the $25 mill give or take if there is offset language in his contract.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I guess that blowup Payton had against Wilson during the Lions game two weeks ago told you the writing was on the wall.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

He's been better on the surface level, but then you start to look at the numbers;

his 2023 Y/A thus far is 6.9. That's actually worse than his mark last year of 7.3

He only has only 7 games with over 200 yards passing. If you want to get even more analytical, 2 of those 7 games came in garbage time (the 70-20 loss to Miami and then the 42-17 loss to the Lions)

He absolute refuses to step up in the pocket, likely because building a career off playing schoolyard football made him think he can do that for eternity.

His penchant to make the dumbest play possible is still there too with some of the throws/reads he makes. It's just he's not allowed to do that as much given Payton turned him into essentially the world's most expensive game manager. Because letting 2023 Russ try to cook like his 2017 self is probably not a good idea.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Russ without his escapability to twist and turn to avoid defenders, is not a good enough reader from the pocket.

Brady, Manning those types can last 15 plus years because they don't rely on their legs.

Russ, Kyler, Lamar, Allen, Cam, etc. if they lose their ability to fully utlize their legs, are not going to be as good a QB as in their prime. Not sure how many could become Randall Cunningham, when he joined Minny and play mostly from the pocket after being so effective early in their career with their legs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad