Speculation: Rumours & Trade & Free Agent Discussion 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Why would the Jets have to wait until Jan? He is in the last year of a multi-year contract.

So, what is standard rental price? 1st + player? 1st + prospect? Those are the kind of prices that contenders, or would be contenders pay at the TD. No way I give up this year's first for him.

There is a rule that states a player in the expiring year of a deal isn't eligible to sign until January. No idea why it exists but it does.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Why would the Jets have to wait until Jan? He is in the last year of a multi-year contract.

So, what is standard rental price? 1st + player? 1st + prospect? Those are the kind of prices that contenders, or would be contenders pay at the TD. No way I give up this year's first for him.

That is standard rental price for a marque piece. I don't think Hamonic fits that category.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
There is a rule that states a player in the expiring year of a deal isn't eligible to sign until January. No idea why it exists but it does.
I thought that's only if they just signed a 1 year contract, faulk was just signed after being traded.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How much better are they going to get for a second pairing defensive dmen on an expiring deal though?

That to me is a rather generous package for his calibre of player.

IDK how much better they might get. It depends on other teams needs and ability to pay. TD prices are astronomical. Flames could hold onto him for a while and still recover 35-40% or more, of his cap hit for this year from a PO team as a rental.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
If Buff is out this is a year to burn.....Zero chance I give up picks and or good prospects....Give the young guys ice time (Maurice has to buy in)...see what you have and address it in the offseason.

Trying to get quick fixes is a great way to screw things up and instead of missing the playoffs for a year it could drag out.

Reactions: hn777

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I don't think so. He was eligible for extension as of July 1. I think it might be a player on an arb deal can't be extended until Jan 1.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Jets can't sign an extension with him until January so it would be a pure rental.

Not even Stone with a contract agreement returned a real good young roster player. Calgary isn't getting more then standard rental prices.
That's only for players on 1 year deals (and even then, presumably only with the team that signed them).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
IDK how much better they might get. It depends on other teams needs and ability to pay. TD prices are astronomical. Flames could hold onto him for a while and still recover 35-40% or more, of his cap hit for this year from a PO team as a rental.

Dmen have generally not returned much at the deadline. You are looking at a 2nd and a 3rd or a decent prospect and a late round pick based on last year prices.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That is standard rental price for a marque piece. I don't think Hamonic fits that category.

I think it goes for lesser players too. The value of the player or prospect goes down, but it still starts with a 1st, at least until you get a little lower yet. But those 1sts are usually assumed to be later because the buyer is a contending team. We lucked out getting #22 for Ladd. It was expected to be much later than that.

KVes is a fairly recent 1st, but he is spinning his wheels. On one hand, I see too much potential in him to want to part with him. On the other, I see a guy who is not progressing recently and may be a bust. IDK how his value might be perceived by other teams.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Dmen have generally not returned much at the deadline. You are looking at a 2nd and a 3rd or a decent prospect and a late round pick based on last year prices.

I don't recall. Were any of them any good at that kind of price?

Is Hamonic being undervalued here now? I recall a lot of people wanting to give Trouba for him when he asked for a trade.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If Buff is out this is a year to burn.....Zero chance I give up picks and or good prospects....Give the young guys ice time (Maurice has to buy in)...see what you have and address it in the offseason.

Trying to get quick fixes is a great way to screw things up and instead of missing the playoffs for a year it could drag out.

Yeah, but I have a feeling Buff will be back soon. :sarcasm:
Sorry. :laugh:

Not sure if I would want to get Hamonic now without Buff or not. Might just reduce the value of our draft picks without making this season much better.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I’d only look into getting Hamonic if Buff is returning.
If he’s not, then I’d probably prefer to ride this season out as is and look into Hamonic and/or other D UFA’s in the offseason.

Reactions: Rheged

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I’d only look into getting Hamonic if Buff is returning.
If he’s not, then I’d probably prefer to ride this season out as is and look into Hamonic and/or other D UFA’s in the offseason.

And if Buff is returning we need to clear space for Hamonic. That would not be easy and the cost of it would need to be included in the cost of acquiring Hamonic.

If the cost doesn't get too high, Hamonic could be a good pickup in the off-season.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont

This! This year, at least at this point is a retool year. I don’t want ANY young, cost controlled asset, pics included being spent, especially this draft year!
The only reason I see moving Roslo would be if Brook/Fleury/Juulsen/Wilde (for examples) are coming back. A trade like this would suit our needs and maintain cost control, but not our first, I hold onto that with a near death grip.
Welcome to the Peg Mr.Byfield. :thumbu:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This! This year, at least at this point is a retool year. I don’t want ANY young, cost controlled asset, pics included being spent, especially this draft year!
The only reason I see moving Roslo would be if Brook/Fleury/Juulsen/Wilde (for examples) are coming back. A trade like this would suit our needs and maintain cost control, but not our first, I hold onto that with a near death grip.
Welcome to the Peg Mr.Byfield. :thumbu:

NYI need RW and have more RD than they can use. There is a fit of some kind there. Finding common ground on the pieces probably fails, unfortunately.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
The only reason I could see Flames accepting that offer would be for cap space. They are not over right now but they are going with a 22 man roster and still only have ~155k. I call that over because they are needing to run a man short to compensate. How do they handle injuries? They also have some potential bonuses. Not much but with only 155k they can't afford any.

Question is, if they were willing to part with Hamonic would that be the best offer they could get? I think they get better than that at the TD.
Maybe , but that’s a 1st round pick an a 3rd .. not bad for them

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I really think people are overrating Pionk based on a few games.
Time will tell for sure. I think many Winnipeg fans see a player who is contributing more so than expected, due to never seeing him play before and going by negative NYR's fans comments combined with his bottom-feeding "defensive stat #'s ( on a very weak Rangers team), as he is stepping up into the play in neutral zone and starting offensive plays quite well. He is a "defensive wart" in the clearing out the front of our net being stronger on sticks and on the puck in our zone. He is still "young" and "a bit green" in experience at the NHL level for defensemen, so...Time will Tell how far he progresses and his ceiling.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Regarding Pionk's play thus far, he has Not Been our worst defenseman. To make a point, he is showing progression from his league-worst #'s in NY last 2seasons. I see signs of him showing some valuable quickness and reads and making plays. Nothing spectacular or elite-like, but none-the-less valuable for in thesituational plays. He is not Trouba-like or Buff-like, so we can't expect him to fill those particular roles and players'impact to the same degree. I actually see potential Jared Spurgeon (Mn Wild) or Justin Faulk (now of StLBlues) type abilities in Pionk. Hope he progresses to those levels!

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Look into UFA D next summer, if Buff doesn't return. Hamonic is a possibility.
It's not only these eight games we've struggled defensively, the team has been bad for almost a year now, even with better defensemen last season.

I am hoping we make the playoffs this year, I think the overall quality of the roster is strong enough.
Something called "coaching to compete at level of opponent" in current NHL could be a large part of the reasoning for close a full season now of Jets defensive team woes! (including most of lastyear).

Reactions: hn777

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Would love to get Ryan Pulock, but at what cost...?
Could see him & Morrissey being a top-5 league-wide pairing for years to come!
And RP is a Mb boy to boot.

Barry Trotz would not let a good Ukrainian kid go.

I don't see him being available at all.

I just want Buff back

Morrissey-Buff
Kulikov-Pionk
Niku-Poolman
Dahlstrom

Get Samberg in for Kulikov, at the season's end. If we are going to miss the playoffs, try to get a 2nd or at least a 3rd for Kulikov, and let Stanley get some NHL reps too.

Reactions: leer2006

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Would love to get Ryan Pulock, but at what cost...?
Could see him & Morrissey being a top-5 league-wide pairing for years to come!
And RP is a Mb boy to boot.

Yup. But we don't get him for Roslo or KV. We don't get him for Roslo and KV.

Wahlstrom looked very good last night. Maybe they don't need RW quite so badly. But they still have Kuhnhackl with Barzal.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Who makes the first move? Five NHL clubs that could be looking to shake things up — The Hockey News

“Realistic trade options if Winnipeg needs to add on the blueline? Mathieu Perreault’s five-team no-trade gives him some protection, but his cap hit paired with his spot in the lineup might make him expendable. And Jack Roslovic’s role down the lineup has put him at the center of trade rumors at points throughout the summer and into the early season. One name you can likely cross of the list, however, is Nikolaj Ehlers. His early production and play should keep him out of any trade talk.”

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Who makes the first move? Five NHL clubs that could be looking to shake things up — The Hockey News

“Realistic trade options if Winnipeg needs to add on the blueline? Mathieu Perreault’s five-team no-trade gives him some protection, but his cap hit paired with his spot in the lineup might make him expendable. And Jack Roslovic’s role down the lineup has put him at the center of trade rumors at points throughout the summer and into the early season. One name you can likely cross of the list, however, is Nikolaj Ehlers. His early production and play should keep him out of any trade talk.”

Ehlers never should have been in any trade talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad