Speculation: Rumours & Trade & Free Agent Discussion 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Westwood on 1290 dreaming of using the cap cleared by Buff potentially retiring to offer sheet Point.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-Point-Ehlers

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Westwood on 1290 dreaming of using the cap cleared by Buff potentially retiring to offer sheet Point.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-Point-Ehlers
Point isn't going to sign an offer sheet with the Jets.

I doubt that the Jets do anything major. They'll buckle down and go with their young D, save whatever cap space they have, and maybe look to add picks in the 2020 draft to reload. My guess is that Chevy is going to play the long game at this point.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB

I doubt that the Jets do anything major. They'll buckle down and go with their young D, save whatever cap space they have, and maybe look to add picks in the 2020 draft to reload. My guess is that Chevy is going to play the long game at this point.
Oh I agree, simply passing along the dream EA NHL scenario

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba

While I agree that's the most prudent way to handle this situation... how do you think players like Scheifele and Wheeler will take a lottery finish season?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Agreed. I'd be livid if the Jets moved a young piece like Ehlers or Connor for some bandaid D.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
While I agree that's the most prudent way to handle this situation... how do you think players like Scheifele and Wheeler will take a lottery finish season?

They are signed long term and have too. If chevy and maurice wont listen to laine and help him be happier why would they cater to them?? They already play together no matter what and get their stats padded

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

I think players that are looking to win will always be upset when the team isn't strong enough. But players on all teams have to go through it usually at some point. Chevy has partially put the team in this situation by trying to put pieces in place to win for Scheifele and Wheeler (not moving Trouba earlier when he wanted to move because they were trying to win, not dealing a potential UFA like Myers, trading away 1st round picks and prospects in back to back trade deadlines, etc). So they can't say the organisation hasn't tried IMO.

And I'm not really sure what the alternative would be anyway if Buff leaves. How would we add enough to then become competitive? Burn even more future capital? More 1st round picks? Samberg? Vesa? Move Ehlers, Connor, or Laine for D help? Well that's great, but now the offense is worse. And that's if we can get an equivalent D back like a Sanheim, Provorov, etc. Not a terrible trade like moving one of those guys for Risto.

Personally, I think if Buff leaves, the Jets take their lumps this year. No panic bad trades. Lock both Connor and Laine up long term, and if you're in the wild card hunt at the TD, maybe get a vet D for cheap. Otherwise, look for teams that might take some of our guys for picks. Next year with the core locked up and Kulikov (and Buff) off the books, the Jets should have plenty of room to try to add to their roster. Hopefully find a young player like Hamilton or Hanifin were on their teams. Look for teams in cap situations, or try to fill the right side by committee with guys like Hamonic (or Miller this year).

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Samberg is probably thinking right now "Damm, why didn't I sign?!??!"

Let's say Buff retires
Connor signs to a reasonable deal
Laine still won't

What should the Jets do then?

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Let's say Buff retires
Laine still won't

At that point I'd say let him sit if his asks are completely unrealistic and we're not getting any offers that meet our threshold. Not like we'd need him for this upcoming year anyway.

Not sure how it works, but if Samberg decided to change his mind with Buff's news, would he be able to sign still or has that time passed?

Reactions: Heldig

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
At that point I'd say let him sit if his asks are completely unrealistic and we're not getting any offers that meet our threshold. Not like we'd need him for this upcoming year anyway.

Not sure how it works, but if Samberg decided to change his mind with Buff's news, would he be able to sign still or has that time passed?

All he wants to do is play for a center that will get more then 11 points in 110 games while playing with him. His money demands are not the problem in my opinion

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Agreed, it really depends on what the agent is demanding (let's say the agent is saying he wants over 10 million), and what the trade return would be.

Only way I would consider a trade is if both of those are high. The salary ask is high, and the return is high. Otherwise, I hope the Jets play hardball. Can't overpay and possibly cripple the team long term, and can't trade the guy for pennies on the dollar.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Let's say Buff retires
Laine still won't

Laine will end up signing, but it might create issues long term if the negotiations are acrimonious.

I would wait and sign Laine, not rush to fill Buff's position, and see where things are in the off-season. If Laine had a big year, maybe trade him next offseason. Use the cap space to replenish the D. Focus on a big haul in the 2020 draft.

On the other hand, if a team is offering a big trade package for Laine now, the Jets could consider it. My concern is that Laine's value is at low ebb right now, with a tough season behind him and the controversy swirling around his comments about the Jets and his usage.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
All he wants to do is play for a center that will get more then 11 points in 110 games while playing with him. His money demands are not the problem in my opinion
His agent made it clear it was about his contract... salary, term, structure. It's a business.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I don't know where to post this. But one thing I find ironic is that alot of us including me thought playing in Winnipeg and the city itself would be the major problem for players staying here.

It's almost always been coaching and usage etc. It shouldn't be this way

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
His agent made it clear it was about his contract... salary, term, structure. It's a business.

When an agent says something that fits your opinion as maneuvering, it's maneuvering. When an agent says something that fits your opinion as gospel, it's gospel. He mentioned three things. Doesn't mean there isn't a fourth, or even a fifth.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I wonder what would have happened in free agency if buff had retired in spring rather than during training camp. (alleged retirement)

Reactions: ocdaddy

Whileee

May 29, 2010
When an agent says something that fits your opinion as maneuvering, it's maneuvering. When an agent says something that fits your opinion as gospel, it's gospel. He mentioned three things. Doesn't mean there isn't a fourth, or even a fifth.
What can I say? I value my opinion. :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Another tidbit that's come out with the Buff news, regarding Winnipeg and no trade clauses. Winnipeg is on Faulk's approved list.
Might be the ideal location for right D in a contract year. Tons of ice-time. High scoring team. #1PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad