Speculation: Rumours & Trade & Free Agent Discussion 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeh Kulikov could have value in someone’s 3rd pair to help shore it up but the issue will be his cap hit. Agreed we would have to retain on him. I’d retain 50% in a heartbeat for a first although I doubt we see a team get that desperate.

Habs fans seem to think LD is a big and current need. They signed Chiarot to 3x3.5 which seems to support that idea. How about Kuli to Mtl near the TD? They have cap space but we retain if it helps. Get back Hawks 2nd + our own 4th. (I hate seeing our logo in another teams list. :laugh:)

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Habs fans seem to think LD is a big and current need. They signed Chiarot to 3x3.5 which seems to support that idea. How about Kuli to Mtl near the TD? They have cap space but we retain if it helps. Get back Hawks 2nd + our own 4th. (I hate seeing our logo in another teams list. :laugh:)

Wouldn’t be a bad return at all honestly.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Biggest issue with trading Perreault wont be his cap hit... it’ll be the upcoming expansion draft.
Personally, if we got a 2nd for him, I’d be happy, but i would not retain on him.
He’s a good, middle 6 all purpose player, who can add grit and scoring and has this and 1 more season left at 4.125M.

As a pending UFA, MP would not need to be protected so the XD is not a factor.

I don't really think retention should be necessary but that depends on who's interested and their situation. We have 2 different scenarios here. 1 is that we need cap space for a deal of some kind. That is most likely only if Buff comes back. The other is just trying to acquire futures for an expiring asset. In the first case, we are extra motivated and might accept a lesser return and also be willing to retain because we need a couple of mil cap space.

I thought at the time that we should have been trading Perreault a year + ago at the '18 draft. Habs had a bucketful of 2nds. One of them could have landed us Bode Wilde or Jett Woo. I thought an early 2nd was his value at that time. I think it might be down to a 3rd by now.

At this point, I think we can safely say that he won't be contributing the next time we can contend, so we should just try to get whatever we can for him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Depending on our playoff chances, Bryan Little could be asked to waive his NMC at the TDL as well.
His full NMC becomes a limited 14 team NTC on July 1st, so he might be willing to oblige if he’s moved to a contender.
Between Kulikov, Perreault, and Little, that’s 13.75M cap available to help offset raises or pay for RHD or 2C acquisitions.
Lots of possibilities

Most contenders don't have a lot of cap space and they would be committing to Little for 4 years beyond this one. I think he will be pretty hard to move.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
I wouldn't move a 1st either. I think moving Perreault or Kulikov will require something else going with them, because they have negative value in a trade, in my opinion. I might move Vesa for the right guy as well.

The Leafs had to give up a 1st to move Marleau. I don't think moving Perreault or Kulikov without something significant is possible.

This is correct. The Jets have been trying to move both of these players to no avail. Just because we say on these boards that one of our players “has value” unfortunately doesn’t make it so for 4 million dollar players in a salary cap world.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Agreed.......I would be pissed off big time if Ehlers was traded. If Jack is traded we better be getting something more then a rental or with a good option/possibility of extending (ie Hammer) even if that means giving up Jack with a plus.

If Roslovic for Hamonic is the base, it’s Calgary that adds the plus.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If Roslovic for Hamonic is the base, it’s Calgary that adds the plus.
I don't see this Jets team as a Cup contender, more like a playoff bubble team, even with Hamonic. They have a really young D and uncertainty around Buff, etc.

They should hang onto Roslovic and sign Hamonic as a UFA, which would cost them no assets. If they decide to trade a young forward (Roslovic or KVes), they shouldn't use it to acquire a player that they can likely get for free in the off-season.

Highway1

Jan 9, 2017
I don't see this Jets team as a Cup contender, more like a playoff bubble team, even with Hamonic. They have a really young D and uncertainty around Buff, etc.

They should hang onto Roslovic and sign Hamonic as a UFA, which would cost them no assets. If they decide to trade a young forward (Roslovic or KVes), they shouldn't use it to acquire a player that they can likely get for free in the off-season.
Totally agree.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Yea I agree we are currently a bubble playoff team at best without Buff.

This is not the season to panic we have taken a step back due to cap pressure and the unexpected Buff status. We need to wait to see what Buff is up too then react accordingly. Missing the playoffs does not mean the window has closed for good. We have a talented young core and yes we will need to address gaps in the roster when the time is right.

Reactions: Duke749 and surixon

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Do jets give up another 1st in offseason for expansion draft?

I doubt it. The expansion draft is after 2 seasons (including this one. i.e. not this offseason, the next one) and the Jets will be able to hold off on signing extensions with handshake deals so the protection fits:

7 forwards: Wheels, Scheif, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Roslovic and Copp. Lowry is a UFA at the time of the draft. Little and Appleton exposed.
3 D: Jmo and 2 of (Pionk, Niku, Stanley) Buff and Poolman are both UFAs. Dahlstrom is exposed too.

I'm going to suggest we likely lose Logan Stanley to the expansion draft as by that point we should have JMo, Heinola and Samberg on the left side in front of him, with Niku and Pionk on the right side.

If we add another RHD that we want to protect that's fine, we still lose a D but we can absorb the hit. As it sits right now there is no need to trade anything to Seattle. Let them pick.

A dark horse pick at this point could be Berdin depending on how he develops. If we want to keep both goalies then maybe we give up a pick. We probably don't though.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

If Myers could get 5x6 this year, how much is Hamonic going to cost next year?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I doubt it. The expansion draft is after 2 seasons (including this one. i.e. not this offseason, the next one) and the Jets will be able to hold off on signing extensions with handshake deals so the protection fits:

7 forwards: Wheels, Scheif, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Roslovic and Copp. Lowry is a UFA at the time of the draft. Little and Appleton exposed.
3 D: Jmo and 2 of (Pionk, Niku, Stanley) Buff and Poolman are both UFAs. Dahlstrom is exposed too.

I'm going to suggest we likely lose Logan Stanley to the expansion draft as by that point we should have JMo, Heinola and Samberg on the left side in front of him, with Niku and Pionk on the right side.

If we add another RHD that we want to protect that's fine, we still lose a D but we can absorb the hit. As it sits right now there is no need to trade anything to Seattle. Let them pick.

A dark horse pick at this point could be Berdin depending on how he develops. If we want to keep both goalies then maybe we give up a pick. We probably don't though.

Not sure but I think you are protecting 1 too many Dmen. I believe it is 7F + 2D + 1 G.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hammer has 44 points combined in his last three seasons and zero so far this year. I think we could sign him for 4 x 4.75m.

I think it will depend on how many of the currently pending UFA Dmen extend with their current teams. If they all go to UFA the bidding will be diluted. If many re-sign, then the bidding will be its usual feeding frenzy excess.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Not sure but I think you are protecting 1 too many Dmen. I believe it is 7F + 2D + 1 G.
Nope... 7-3-1 or 4-4-1
7-3-1;
7-Scheifele, Ehlers, Connor, Laine, Wheeler, Copp, Roslovic (Appleton if Roslovic is traded)
3-Morrissey, Niku, Stanley (or Dman acquired in Roslovic trade)
1- Hellebuyck

4-4-1;
Not happening with the number of forwards we need to protect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Nope... 7-3-1 or 4-4-1
7-3-1;
7-Scheifele, Ehlers, Connor, Laine, Wheeler, Copp, Roslovic (Appleton if Roslovic is traded)
3-Morrissey, Niku, Stanley (or Dman acquired in Roslovic trade)
1- Hellebuyck

4-4-1;
Not happening with the number of forwards we need to protect.

Pionk.

Reactions: Jets 31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad