Speculation: Rumours & Trade & Free Agent Discussion 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Until we get a definitive direction from Buff, we’re in a holding pattern.

Why?

MP out

D in

Just have to balance cap hits. With or without Buff, we need help on D as long as it's an upgrade on what we got.

With Buff, add one guy.

Without Buff, add two guys.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Why?

MP out

D in

Just have to balance cap hits. With or without Buff, we need help on D as long as it's an upgrade on what we got.

With Buff, add one guy.

Without Buff, add two guys.
Ok. I get where your going with this now.

Well, I’m a broken record, so you know what I’m going to propose.
With Buff...
Morrissey-Hamonic
Heinola-Buff
Beaulieu-Pionk

Without Buff...
Morrissey-Hamonic
Heinola-Pionk
Beaulieu-Poolman

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Ok. I get where your going with this now.

Well, I’m a broken record, so you know what I’m going to propose.
With Buff...
Morrissey-Hamonic
Heinola-Buff
Beaulieu-Pionk

Without Buff...
Morrissey-Hamonic
Heinola-Pionk
Beaulieu-Poolman

I have no problem getting Hammer, but trying to agree on a price with Flames fans is a waste of time......

I think Ville is gone to the AHL or Finland this year due to development/cap reasons.

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I have no problem getting Hammer, but trying to agree on a price with Flames fans is a waste of time......

I think Ville is gone to the AHL or Finland this year due to development/cap reasons.
I think Roslovic + 3rd would do it. Most I’ve talked to seem ok with that.
I had one poster suggest Roslovic+Poolman, though I felt then and still feel like that’s to high. Could be just me, but I’d want a + with Hamonic if Poolman was included.

I’m conflicted about Ville.
On one hand, I’d like to see him stay and get experience on the 2nd pairing.
On the other hand, I think it would be best if he had another year of development in the AHL, not Finland.

Last edited:

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Hamonic is a rental unless Calgary lets them negotiate an extension prior to the trade. The Jets shouldn't give up any future assets for a rental because they're not contending this year.

Calgary is more of a contender, so they wouldn't give up Hamonic unless it was for a better roster player. I think they'll keep him as a self rental even if hypothetically they knew he wants to go elsewhere next summer.

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Hamonic is a rental unless Calgary lets them negotiate an extension prior to the trade. The Jets shouldn't give up any future assets for a rental because they're not contending this year.

Calgary is more of a contender, so they wouldn't give up Hamonic unless it was for a better roster player. I think they'll keep him as a self rental even if hypothetically they knew he wants to go elsewhere next summer.
I don’t consider Hamonic a rental because it’s likely he re-ups in Winnipeg. It’s as close to home as he can get and still play in the NHL.
As for the Flames... they currently have just under 155k in cap space available and have 4 RD on their roster. If we sent a young D player, like Poolman, (just an example), along as well they could keep them as as their 6th or 7th D, plus they gain 2+M in cap space for contingencies.
If we do Roslovic+Poolman we aren’t parting with picks and should get a late pick back. As for contending, who knows what tomorrow holds. If Buff comes back, ready to go, and we add Hamonic, we are looking pretty good as long as our team doesn’t have another off season, like last years.
I’ll bet on us instead of against us.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
I don't understand the suggestions of trading away Roslovic (or other young F) for D. IMO, he has been great this season, has a high ceiling, is young and cost controlled.

The Jets can't continue to offload forwards neither, the depth has taken a hit after losing Armia, Lemieux, Tanev within a year+. We are (have been?) icing players like Letestu, Bourque.

Ride it out with the D as it is atm., help is on the way from promising prospects.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I don't understand the suggestions of trading away Roslovic (or other young F) for D. IMO, he has been great this season, has a high ceiling, is young and cost controlled.

The Jets can't continue to offload forwards neither, the depth has taken a hit after losing Armia, Lemieux, Tanev within a year+. We are (have been?) icing players like Letestu, Bourque.

Ride it out with the D as it is atm., help is on the way from promising prospects.

So ride it our for two or three years until our defense hopefully develop enough?

I'm hoping we try to make the playoffs next year at least

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I haven’t watched much of the Flames lately what is Hamonic now a #4 type? He turns 30 this summer and has a fair amount of tread off the tire so I would wait until this July to get him as a free agent if Buff retires. Price and term would have to be right for any aging asset where we are buying post prime years.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
So ride it our for two or three years until our defense hopefully develop enough?

I'm hoping we try to make the playoffs next year at least
Look into UFA D next summer, if Buff doesn't return. Hamonic is a possibility.
It's not only these eight games we've struggled defensively, the team has been bad for almost a year now, even with better defensemen last season.

I am hoping we make the playoffs this year, I think the overall quality of the roster is strong enough.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

All true - but only 1 side of the coin.

Yes, "he has been great this season, has a high ceiling, is young and cost controlled", therefore he has the value to potentially get us a good return. If keeping him means PM continues to use him as a 4th line winger when we are healthy, his value to us is limited.

Yes we have lost some forward depth but that is not why we have been icing Letestu and Bourque. We have Gustafsson, Chibisov, Luoto, Suess, Lipon and possibly others who are at least as good as those 2.

I agree with riding it out rather than making any panic moves, but if we could get a good Dman in return, especially a RHS, I wouldn't hesitate to move Roslovic.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
All true - but only 1 side of the coin.

Yes, "he has been great this season, has a high ceiling, is young and cost controlled", therefore he has the value to potentially get us a good return. If keeping him means PM continues to use him as a 4th line winger when we are healthy, his value to us is limited.

Yes we have lost some forward depth but that is not why we have been icing Letestu and Bourque. We have Gustafsson, Chibisov, Luoto, Suess, Lipon and possibly others who are at least as good as those 2.

I agree with riding it out rather than making any panic moves, but if we could get a good Dman in return, especially a RHS, I wouldn't hesitate to move Roslovic.

I agree with lots of this. But I just domt think trying to fix our AHL defense would be a panic move. It would just be trying to make the playoffs

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree with lots of this. But I just domt think trying to fix our AHL defense would be a panic move. It would just be trying to make the playoffs

That depends on how they try to fix our D and for how long. Just trying to squeak into the PO with a team too badly flawed to go anywhere is not a worthwhile goal. And yes, I know that anything can happen in the PO. I'll stick with what is likely.

Getting in at 2WC and then getting bounced unceremoniously in the first round isn't worth losing the high draft pick and the lottery ticket.

Reactions: Board Bard

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
That depends on how they try to fix our D and for how long. Just trying to squeak into the PO with a team too badly flawed to go anywhere is not a worthwhile goal. And yes, I know that anything can happen in the PO. I'll stick with what is likely.

Getting in at 2WC and then getting bounced unceremoniously in the first round isn't worth losing the high draft pick and the lottery ticket.

I guess for me it would all boil down too one question. Why are we at the cap with a team so badly flawed?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Does Ves have any trade value as I really don't see where he fits on this team. I think we are set for top 6 wingers and it's easy to draft a bottom 6 winger if we can get some value for him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Does Ves have any trade value as I really don't see where he fits on this team. I think we are set for top 6 wingers and it's easy to draft a bottom 6 winger if we can get some value for him.

IDK - but I don't think his market value is very high. That could turn around quickly if he starts producing in the AHL. I don't think there is any point in trading him ATM. He is worth more to us than he would bring in return.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
We are not at the cap with this team. If Buff comes back, we are at the cap. But that is a different team. Right now, we are 4th lowest in the league in cap hit.
This is true.

I'd imagine TNSE won't be happy with Chevy + Maurice if they have Buff for most of the season, spend to the cap and then miss the playoffs.

Saving money on Buff is probably the saving grace here for now. If he comes back and they aren't winning games with a capped-out roster, Chevy will need to figure out something. His job will be on the line.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ves and 3rd for Hammer

The only reason I could see Flames accepting that offer would be for cap space. They are not over right now but they are going with a 22 man roster and still only have ~155k. I call that over because they are needing to run a man short to compensate. How do they handle injuries? They also have some potential bonuses. Not much but with only 155k they can't afford any.

Question is, if they were willing to part with Hamonic would that be the best offer they could get? I think they get better than that at the TD.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Jets can't sign an extension with him until January so it would be a pure rental.

Not even Stone with a contract agreement returned a real good young roster player. Calgary isn't getting more then standard rental prices.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The only reason I could see Flames accepting that offer would be for cap space. They are not over right now but they are going with a 22 man roster and still only have ~155k. I call that over because they are needing to run a man short to compensate. How do they handle injuries? They also have some potential bonuses. Not much but with only 155k they can't afford any.

Question is, if they were willing to part with Hamonic would that be the best offer they could get? I think they get better than that at the TD.

How much better are they going to get for a second pairing defensive dmen on an expiring deal though?

That to me is a rather generous package for his calibre of player.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Jets can't sign an extension with him until January so it would be a pure rental.

Not even Stone with a contract agreement returned a real good young roster player. Calgary isn't getting more then standard rental prices.

Why would the Jets have to wait until Jan? He is in the last year of a multi-year contract.

So, what is standard rental price? 1st + player? 1st + prospect? Those are the kind of prices that contenders, or would be contenders pay at the TD. No way I give up this year's first for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad