Speculation: Rumours & Trade & Free Agent Discussion 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Who makes the first move? Five NHL clubs that could be looking to shake things up — The Hockey News

“Realistic trade options if Winnipeg needs to add on the blueline? Mathieu Perreault’s five-team no-trade gives him some protection, but his cap hit paired with his spot in the lineup might make him expendable. And Jack Roslovic’s role down the lineup has put him at the center of trade rumors at points throughout the summer and into the early season. One name you can likely cross of the list, however, is Nikolaj Ehlers. His early production and play should keep him out of any trade talk.”

Jack has looked great this year. I'd really hate to move him...

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Agreed.......I would be pissed off big time if Ehlers was traded. If Jack is traded we better be getting something more then a rental or with a good option/possibility of extending (ie Hammer) even if that means giving up Jack with a plus.
You would probably have to trade Frenchie with Roslovic so you could have room under the cap , Roslovic doesn't make alot of money . I would hate to trade Roslovic but if it got us a legit 3 or 4 defenseman i think we have to do it .

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I know this whole Byfuglien situation is lingering over, but Chevy really needs to own this. He had a team poised to compete for a cup and he's let poor roster management.

The results are right here and are not going to be fixed by Byfuglien coming back. This is a lottery team as constructed and the sooner management realizes his coaching staff is tanking this team with a completely moronic defensive/offensive scheme, the sooner we can move on. 5V5 struggles, PK struggles, PP struggles.

The regular season trend of .500 since all-star break is continuing with no sight of improvement. Cut bait, Chevy.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
I really like the way Roslovic is developing. Personally I’d be real reluctant to trade him right now. Remember he’s only 22 and we have no long term solution at #2 center. It would definitely have to be for the right price.
It would have to be for a youngish established 2nd pairing defenseman signed to a decent contract... And there is close to ZERO chance anyone gives that up for Rosie who has proven very little as an NHL player.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
The trend is to give up assets to clear cap space. What assets are we willing to give up?
Just my opinion, but...
The preferred are Kulikov, and Perreault.
Kulikov, 4.3M for this year only then UFA, has negative to zero value and would likely be a cap dump addition to any proposal.
Perreault, 4.125M for this and next year, would be attractive to teams needing to shore up their middle 6 with an all purpose player.

The possible are Roslovic, Vesalainen, and others.
Roslovic, 894K for this year only then RFA, has possible top 6 upside if given time and opportunity to develop as such.
Vesalainen, 894K for this and 2 more years, needs development time and opportunities to fully show his potential, but should be able to become a middle 6 at worst, plus is cost controlled.
Others, depending on the player being sought, there could be other young players available. Examples could be Poolman, Niku, and Spacek.

Add to these, our 2nd round picks for this year or others. I personally, wouldn’t consider moving our 1st again for anything but a top pairing RHD.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeorgeJETson

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Just my opinion, but...
The preferred are Kulikov, and Perreault.
Kulikov, 4.3M for this year only then UFA, has negative to zero value and would likely be a cap dump addition to any proposal.
Perreault, 4.125M for this and next year, would be attractive to teams needing to shore up their middle 6 with an all purpose player.

The possible are Roslovic, Vesalainen, and others.
Roslovic, 894K for this year only then RFA, has possible top 6 upside if given time and opportunity to develop as such.
Vesalainen, 894K for this and 2 more years, needs development time and opportunities to fully show his potential, but should be able to become a middle 6 at worst, plus is cost controlled.
Others, depending on the player being sought, there could be other young players available. Examples could be Poolman, Niku, and Spacek.

Add to these, our 2nd round picks for this year or others. I personally, wouldn’t consider moving our 1st again for anything but a top pairing RHD.

I wouldn't move a 1st either. I think moving Perreault or Kulikov will require something else going with them, because they have negative value in a trade, in my opinion. I might move Vesa for the right guy as well.

The Leafs had to give up a 1st to move Marleau. I don't think moving Perreault or Kulikov without something significant is possible.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
I really like the way Roslovic is developing. Personally I’d be real reluctant to trade him right now. Remember he’s only 22 and we have no long term solution at #2 center. It would definitely have to be for the right price.

agreed. I have been hard on him at times and thought his ceiling would be more of a 3rd liner. I think he can become a top 6 guy. Look at how good Armia is doing so far this year. I see Roslovic being able to do the same. Just still not sold on if he can be a good 2C or rather a winger

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I wouldn't move a 1st either. I think moving Perreault or Kulikov will require something else going with them, because they have negative value in a trade, in my opinion. I might move Vesa for the right guy as well.

The Leafs had to give up a 1st to move Marleau. I don't think moving Perreault or Kulikov without something significant is possible.

It was tough sledding for any team to clear salary this past off season.

No sense trying to thrash our way out of mediocrity. Just wait for the deals to expire. Give that money to our young players that need raises. Laine being the main one.

Back fill those expired contracts with good young talent. It's the way we built our team up in the first place. It will take a year or two or three but we will get there again with our core talent.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Perreault has been playing well this year. Any team that has been watching (that means all of them) would see that he has value. I could see having to retain a mil on him but otherwise he should be tradeable.

Kulikov is a different story. Again, he has value, but I think his value is quite a bit below his contract. If we need to retain 50% we aren't recovering much cap space. We might get a decent return on him at the TD though. Some team will have injuries or just want the depth of a pretty solid 4/5 Dman.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Perreault has been playing well this year. Any team that has been watching (that means all of them) would see that he has value. I could see having to retain a mil on him but otherwise he should be tradeable.

Kulikov is a different story. Again, he has value, but I think his value is quite a bit below his contract. If we need to retain 50% we aren't recovering much cap space. We might get a decent return on him at the TD though. Some team will have injuries or just want the depth of a pretty solid 4/5 Dman.

I was about to make a post but then saw you basically said the same thing.

Both are very movable with salary retention. Perreault because he's still a useful depth player and Kulikov because he's in the last year of his contract anyways.

But if Chevy is going to try to turn this ship around mid season (which I don't necessarily agree with) I'm not sure how much moving Kulikov would help since we'd likely have to retain half anyways.

It's too late to change the past so I think we'd be better off letting this season play out and making changes in the off-season. With Kulikov off the books and what seems like a Byfuglien retirement we'll have plenty of space to work with even with Morrissey's raise.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Yeh Kulikov could have value in someone’s 3rd pair to help shore it up but the issue will be his cap hit. Agreed we would have to retain on him. I’d retain 50% in a heartbeat for a first although I doubt we see a team get that desperate.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeh Kulikov could have value in someone’s 3rd pair to help shore it up but the issue will be his cap hit. Agreed we would have to retain on him. I’d retain 50% in a heartbeat for a first although I doubt we see a team get that desperate.

At the TD, retention may or may not matter depending on the other team. We are only talking the prorated cap hit. This year it is more likely than most to matter because the small cap increase caught a lot of teams by surprise. But at that point, it doesn't matter to us much at all. So I retain whatever is necessary to get the best return possible. I don't think a late first is out of sight by the standards of TD deals. It would be affected by the all around need for Dmen and the number and quality of Dmen available. I think it is a pretty unpredictable market but we take what we can get. If that means a 2nd, I'm OK with that. If it is a 3rd, so be it. Odds are whatever picks we get are late unless we deal with a team that already has someone else's pick.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
At the TD, retention may or may not matter depending on the other team. We are only talking the prorated cap hit. This year it is more likely than most to matter because the small cap increase caught a lot of teams by surprise. But at that point, it doesn't matter to us much at all. So I retain whatever is necessary to get the best return possible. I don't think a late first is out of sight by the standards of TD deals. It would be affected by the all around need for Dmen and the number and quality of Dmen available. I think it is a pretty unpredictable market but we take what we can get. If that means a 2nd, I'm OK with that. If it is a 3rd, so be it. Odds are whatever picks we get are late unless we deal with a team that already has someone else's pick.
Could PErreault get a late 1st?

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Depending on our playoff chances, Bryan Little could be asked to waive his NMC at the TDL as well.
His full NMC becomes a limited 14 team NTC on July 1st, so he might be willing to oblige if he’s moved to a contender.
Between Kulikov, Perreault, and Little, that’s 13.75M cap available to help offset raises or pay for RHD or 2C acquisitions.
Lots of possibilities

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Seriously? Wheeler is either gonna raise the Cup with us, or he won’t win one. Guy is 100% committed to Winnipeg and the organization.

It certainly looks that way right now. But turn that question around a bit. Would he waive to go to a real contender if we could work out a deal? I wouldn't rule it out. Finding a contender that could take on his salary would be the harder part.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Could PErreault get a late 1st?

He is not a typical TD player because he is under contract for an additional year. So he wouldn't qualify for the TD feeding frenzy prices. I think he would go in a normal trade and bring back a 2nd or 3rd. and we might have to retain some even to get that. Cap space is at a premium right now.

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
He is not a typical TD player because he is under contract for an additional year. So he wouldn't qualify for the TD feeding frenzy prices. I think he would go in a normal trade and bring back a 2nd or 3rd. and we might have to retain some even to get that. Cap space is at a premium right now.
Biggest issue with trading Perreault wont be his cap hit... it’ll be the upcoming expansion draft.
Personally, if we got a 2nd for him, I’d be happy, but i would not retain on him.
He’s a good, middle 6 all purpose player, who can add grit and scoring and has this and 1 more season left at 4.125M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad