Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Y’all got any more of that Cracknell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lol we are not getting OEL. Only way he'd consider being here is if he was on the last leg of his career.

People need to realize that it's not an even playing field. Good UFAs that have options don't want to sign here and those that have an NMC will have Edmonton on their list. Our geography and lack of sustained success put us at a disadvantage.

Pietroangelo is more realistic simply because he's Canadian and he didn't spend his entire career thus far in a warm city. Stupid but that's really what the past couple decades have shown me.

More so why I believe good drafting and signing quality depth players is the only thing that will save us.

I think OEL would be OK playing here, it's just the tax issue is probably a killer, he makes more money in Arizona, so coming here he'd really have to be attracted to playing with McDavid and Tippett and co.

Players know how good McDavid and Draisaitl are though.

Petro is less likely. He has an American wife and family. When wife and kids become part of the process, that's where it becomes problematic I think.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
How about

Athansiou
Puljujarvi
Russell

for

Dylan Strome
De Haan

If the Blackhawks are one of the teams that want to shed salary, Russell in for De Haan saves them 3 million in actual dollars which is a significant savings.

Strome McDavid Kassian
RNH Draisaitl Yamamoto

Probably makes McDavid happy and you can lock in Strome on a multi-year deal now.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
An OEL return is gonna look like the O’Reilly trade a couple of seasons ago. Both great players stuck on shit teams that have their stats impacted by that fact. OEL would flourish finally being free from Arizona.

O’Reilly got Sobotka + Berglund + Thompson + 1st + 2nd
So basically 2 cap dumps, a mediocre forward prospect and a first and second

A comparable trade for OEL from us would probably look like this:
Neal + Russel + Lagesson + 2020 1st + 2023 2nd

I would switch the 1st to next years pick and trade Puljujarvi for a 2nd, include that pick and take that and run.

Following up, Klef or Nurse are then free to trade for an impact forward to play with Mcdavid.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McJazz

Jun 18, 2016
Gothenburg
An OEL return is gonna look like the O’Reilly trade a couple of seasons ago. Both great players stuck on shit teams that have their stats impacted by that fact. OEL would flourish finally being free from Arizona.

I would switch the 1st to next years pick and trade Puljujarvi for a 2nd, include that pick and take that and run.

Following up, Klef or Nurse are then free to trade for an impact forward to play with Mcdavid.

Value of Sobotka + Berglund (at the time) >> Neal + Russell

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
I thought my score app went bananas when I read Cracknell signed with the Oil, talk about some blast from the past.
Might not be a bad thing though, some veteran help in Bakersfield (if there will be a season) is needed and he's had a pretty decent season in the KHL at 34 years old.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think OEL would be OK playing here, it's just the tax issue is probably a killer, he makes more money in Arizona, so coming here he'd really have to be attracted to playing with McDavid and Tippett and co.

Players know how good McDavid and Draisaitl are though.

Petro is less likely. He has an American wife and family. When wife and kids become part of the process, that's where it becomes problematic I think.
In fact, there could be a tax advantage for OEl if he comes to Edmonton but keeps a place in Arizona. Here is the discussion of his options as they applied to Tavares:

John Tavares Could Save Nearly $12 Million In Taxes On His New Contract

Reactions: Seachd

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This changes everything haha that is a pretty good deal. Better then a 4+mil Haula forsure.

I think the big thing with Bjugstad was that despite a $4.1M cap hit, he was owed $5.25M in salary this year.

That's a lot of dough for teams with an internal cap this year.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
And is a better PP, puckmoving dman who can make an actual pass out of the zone right onto the stick of players. We had that last time with Visnovsky. Can you remember how long ago that was?

That's a huge price to pay for a 29-year-old signed for 7 more years at 8.25.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
And is a better PP, puckmoving dman who can make an actual pass out of the zone right onto the stick of players. We had that last time with Visnovsky. Can you remember how long ago that was?

I'm not sure that's really OEL anymore. At least not to the quality you would expect at his salary.

OEL attempted less outlet passes than Nurse and completed a lower percentage of them(and way less and lower than Bear). He would have been pretty close to tied for second with Klefbom for controlled exits at about half of Nurse's number too.

He just doesn't positively affect the game nearly enough at 5v5 to be worth that money.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

In their cap clearing move here, Arizona would be taking on cap. Neal likely won't be involved. I could see something around Russell and Chaisson. Save 5 million up front and another 3.5 a year from now. Plus I think Thompson was more along the lines of Benson than Lagesson.

I see other teams offering more than this.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Not really a comparable to OEL.

OEL has a franchise crippling contract.
I posted this in another thread but I wouldn’t take OEL for free. IF he’s not a top pairing defenseman again for at least the next 4 seasons that it such a terrible contract that EDM could be stuck with.

He didn’t play great this year, I think he’s better than he’s been, but Overall he’s more of a 2/3 paid like a number 1. IF Broberg/Bouchard were to develop well the next 3 seasons you would have a hard time paying them when you would be paying OEL 8.25.

To think next off season we could have the contracts of Mcdavid 12.5, Drai 8.5, Neal 6.75, counting Lucic retention, RNH 7-7.5, and OEL 8.25, makes me cringe.

That’s over half the cap invested in 5 guys, on not short term, absolutely crazy, forget paying a single other impact player in the short term, forget extending Yamo to a solid deal if he progresses, ditto Bear/Bouchard/Nurse.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
AA + Neal for Kessel + Stepan

Or just AA for Kessel

Saves Arizona about 4M.

Leaves the Oilers 6M to re-sign Benning and Bear, and get a goalie. If you dump Chiasson that gives you about 8M.

Kessel - McDavid - Kassian
DRY
Ennis - Stepan - Archibald
Khaira - Haas - Nygard

Stepan is off the books after next year, Kessel is off after two years. Defense is still crappy but you’re getting closer to clearing significant cap space sooner.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
If we're talking defensemen and money-saving deals for Arizona, I'd be going after Goligoski assuming he'd waive his NTC.

He'd be a nice one year rental to play beside Klefbom and bring some puck-moving to the top4.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
That's a huge price to pay for a 29-year-old signed for 7 more years at 8.25.
D men take longer to reach their prime, but age better than forwards. A deal ending in the mid 30s is totally fine for a D. He'll be very much in his prime during this deal.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is just more confirmation that a guy like Haula isn’t getting 4M. There just isn’t that much cap space out there. I’d be shocked if Haula got any more then 3.5

Yeah I don't think people have really come to the full realization of just how tight money is going to be this year. It's not just the flat cap, its the flat cap PLUS the fact that lots of owners are going to be really hurting in their primary businesses, and are going to be telling GMs to shed salary. Players are going to be taking 30-50% less than they normally would. If you are a bottom 6 or bottom pairing guy, you are very likely not going to be offered anything north of 1.25-1.5 million.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yeah I don't think people have really come to the full realization of just how tight money is going to be this year. It's not just the flat cap, its the flat cap PLUS the fact that lots of owners are going to be really hurting in their primary businesses, and are going to be telling GMs to shed salary. Players are going to be taking 30-50% less than they normally would. If you are a bottom 6 or bottom pairing guy, you are very likely not going to be offered anything north of 1.25-1.5 million.
I had an argument with several posters on the mains about how Hall could end up taking a shorter term deal worth less because of this. For some reason people still expect him to get 45M total on a 5 year deal. Some guy even acknowledged the flat cap and maintained that position. So what was he expecting Hall to get without the flat cap? lol.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I had an argument with several posters on the mains about how Hall could end up taking a shorter term deal worth less because of this. For some reason people still expect him to get 45M total on a 5 year deal. Some guy even acknowledged the flat cap and maintained that position. So what was he expecting Hall to get without the flat cap? lol.
I actually think he gets a long term deal at less than most expect. I think he wants security and stability. I am also not convinced that taking a short term deal gets him more money long term. This could be three years to settle out. By that time he is at serious risk of aging himself out of even more bargaining power. People already have concerns about a 29 year old Taylor Hall with his playing style. How does a 32 year old version look all that much more attractive.

The reality is that in the last 6 years Hall has 1 year over 70 points, two over 60 and two in the 30's. His MVP Season is not what you are paying for at this point and this will be even more true 3 years from now. That said I still think he brings a lot to a team like the Oilers. These numbers are impacted by injuries but for me Hall is one of the rare players where injuries are less a fluke and more a matter of how he plays the game. At a reasonable price I'd be very happy to see him back.

Reactions: frag2

Crude

Rafters 94
Jul 15, 2007
Edmonton
Can someone summarize what the actual rumor is about OEL and the Oilers? Has Stauffer given any of his cryptic hints, or has he just talked about him a couple times on OilersNow? Where is all this talk coming from?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I actually think he gets a long term deal at less than most expect. I think he wants security and stability. I am also not convinced that taking a short term deal gets him more money long term. This could be three years to settle out. By that time he is at serious risk of aging himself out of even more bargaining power. People already have concerns about a 29 year old Taylor Hall with his playing style. How does a 32 year old version look all that much more attractive.

The reality is that in the last 6 years Hall has 1 year over 70 points, two over 60 and two in the 30's. His MVP Season is not what you are paying for at this point and this will be even more true 3 years from now. That said I still think he brings a lot to a team like the Oilers. These numbers are impacted by injuries but for me Hall is one of the rare players where injuries are less a fluke and more a matter of how he plays the game. At a reasonable price I'd be very happy to see him back.

All valid points. I think the "wildcard" is if a team that is really close to contending (say the Avs or Boston for arguments sake, but really pick your contending team) offer him a 1 year deal. He could take a shot at a cup next year at a lower rate, and then go for the longer term deal next year. There is a *chance* that there is a vaccine in early 2021 and the league is able to return to some level of fans in the stands for the last half of next year (lower number of fans, or whatever), and full fans for 2021-22. He could take a chance at a cup next year, hope for good news on the pandemic, and then even if there is no good news, sign long term next offseason for pretty much the same as he would have gotten this offseason. A 30 year old Hall likely still get a 5 or 6 year deal at good money next year.

Again, so much of this is depending on what the player wants, but I do think there is a scenario similar to what I describe that could play out for him.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't see how the flat cap environment is going to affect the market for elite players. A market shift suggests that everyone is going to be operating in a budgeted fashion, which isn't going to be the case in all likelihood. If team X wants Taylor Hall, they'll still back up the Brinks truck to his front door.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Can someone summarize what the actual rumor is about OEL and the Oilers? Has Stauffer given any of his cryptic hints, or has he just talked about him a couple times on OilersNow? Where is all this talk coming from?
it's my impression that there is no information. It's just people connecting dots.

Reactions: subnet

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Nothing. Teams are losing $. They have internal caps. Arz is rumored to be in dire straits financially even more so than before.

OEL is no more of a reality right now than Seabrook being an Oiler a few years back when he was the hot topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad