Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Y’all got any more of that Cracknell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

His actual salary is 5.25 mil. Cap hit is 4.1 and with the retention is 2.05. He doesn’t play 70 games or score 35 points next year Minnesota does not give up the 7th.

It’s going to be very very difficult to move money next season or two. Someone like Russell might have added value right now as his actual salary is only 1.5M on a 4M AAV. Andersen with Toronto could have excellent trade value as his AAV is $5M while his salary is only $1M as he’s been paid the rest in bonuses.

I can see Arizona or Ottawa making a play for Andersen.

Also a lot of teams with cap space won’t be spending to the cap. Hearing a lot of teams with internal caps being set at $70 mil. Pittsburgh’s internal cap is apparently about $75 mil which is why Bjugstad is nothing more than a cap dump.

Andersen for Kuemper?

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
We can do a lot better at the 3C slot this year

You're probably wrong about this barring a major trade. It would be nice to be wrong, but I'd hate for the DUMBASS Oilers decisions of the past to continue, i.e "player X didn't play to potential this year, lets dump him as I'm sure we can do better.." (only to strike out in FA and trades and wind up with a substantial downgrade at the position).

I hope we haven't burnt the Riley Sheahan bridge because as much as an upgrade would be a big help he did manage to give us a lot of quality minutes this year, despite being asked to play above his level at times. His PKing was outstanding, faceoffs were good, and his ES struggles are being a little overblown IMO. He should be a great 4C able to PK and fill in at 3C for injuries, not a de facto 3c all year long. When the team was in a nosedive, the Sheahan-Archibald line had a big game to help us out of the hole while McDavid was down and I won't forget that so quickly. A lot of highly paid guys failed to elevate and pull us out of that brutal stretch.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Cell me crazy but I would give Yakupov a PTO. I know it is a low chance of working

tenor.gif

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
OEL would be a good pickup as long as Neal is also going the other way.

My suggestion:

Trade 14 and Russell to Ott for the 28, 58, 70

Trade Klefbom, Neal, 28, and 70 for OEL

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
At risking at upsetting people...

...Riley Sheahan was a very poor 3C at 5v5. His value was on the penalty kill but he got absolutely caved. In game 3 vs Chicago, it was his dumb giveaway that started the chain reaction to lose. There are plenty of guys that can PK in a system who can play well at 5v5 too.

We can do a lot better at the 3C slot this year and I have no problem with Haas at 4C.

Sheahan sucks the high hard one . He useless out side of PKing . We need a 3C that can at least get 15-20goals and 35 points

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Big player that skates really well and has no brain. Yeah it wouldn’t work me thinks.

Demko I would pay a lot for he’s the real deal. Trade down from 14 and trade one of the picks you get for him.
We have one of those player now in AA and another coming back in Puljujarvi, so unless your sticking them all on one line to see if it all balances out then I wouldn't risk it. BTW that was not a serious idea.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Are we still going with the OBC “pick of our old belongings” way?
It may be the fact I have a hard time of letting go of fringe, high pick, busts we’ve had. Paajarvi, Yak. But I still tell everyone to this day that had they made him into a poor poor mans Ovechkin, in that his main purpose was to sit opposite hand on the PP and one time pucks, he’d still be in the league as a 20ish goal guy, he had a solid shot from there but was never really given a chance.

Reactions: subnet

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It may be the fact I have a hard time of letting go of fringe, high pick, busts we’ve had. Paajarvi, Yak. But I still tell everyone to this day that had they made him into a poor poor mans Ovechkin, in that his main purpose was to sit opposite hand on the PP and one time pucks, he’d still be in the league as a 20ish goal guy, he had a solid shot from there but was never really given a chance.

Since being draft Yakupovs hit 20 goals once..in the KHL 2 seasons ago. He followed it up with a 10 goal season last year. Yakupovs game outside the PP was so damn bad that it wouldn't be worth it. You can find similar players goal wise who at least don't hurt you the rest of the time.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Andersen for Kuemper?

I think Arizona wants a first + for Kuemper to replace lost and traded picks but I can see some way Andersen winds up in Arizona. If Toronto adds a first or maybe a couple of seconds and Andersen?

It’s going to be crazy with the sheer number of available goalies, lack of cap space, lack of actual cash, etc. A lot of Riley Sheahans will be playing for league minimum or face early retirement just like after the 06/07 work stoppage and original cap implementation.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I think Arizona wants a first + for Kuemper to replace lost and traded picks but I can see some way Andersen winds up in Arizona. If Toronto adds a first or maybe a couple of seconds and Andersen?

It’s going to be crazy with the sheer number of available goalies, lack of cap space, lack of actual cash, etc. A lot of Riley Sheahans will be playing for league minimum or face early retirement just like after the 06/07 work stoppage and original cap implementation.

If I'm the Leafs it's Andersen straight up. Arizona gets a starter for one year for a million bucks or they can flip him and Arizona saves 8 million by making that trade.

Teams would be nuts to give up anything other than a very late first for Kuemper, I can't believe Oilers fans and media that would trade pick 14 for him.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If I'm the Leafs it's Andersen straight up. Arizona gets a starter for one year for a million bucks or they can flip him and Arizona saves 8 million by making that trade.

Teams would be nuts to give up anything other than a very late first for Kuemper, I can't believe Oilers fans and media that would trade pick 14 for him.

There’s so many free or cheaper options for goalies this year that trading a mid 1st for one would be a bad move. Koskinen is a decent starter, we just need a goalie that can play over .500 hockey for 40% of the season. I’d even be fine with bringing Smith back if he signs for 1.5 million.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

woah, that's crazy fortunate for Toronto that Andersen only gets 1 million. Lol of course Toronto should flex that bargain contract. They definitely get Kuemper straight up if they want.

It's a buyer's market for goalies, but 1 million in salary for a top end goalie is so good it's not even in the market. An owner bleeding cash will force the GM to lose a trade to get that.

edit: although Andersen has a 10 team no trade list in the way. But it seems there are many poor owners this year so that might not be a problem.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Arizona won’t accept anything but a first +. Apparently they have 3 teams offering a first and Flames are supposed to be one of them.

Keumper is the top ranked starter by the stats apparently according to Friedman and Stauffer.

Not defending them just passing along what I’ve heard.

With the goalies available and our tight cap situation I think we pursue a cheaper option in the 2-3M range.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

He basically went 3 seasons without taking a 1-timer in a real game situation as coaches demanded he round out his game for offensive opportunity. That's a long time to go without using your bread and butter tool. He likely never gets it or his confidence back to anything resembling the guy that we drafted #1. Lot of that is his fault of course. Dude just isn't the type that can overcome his shortcomings alone. Needs a coach to be babying him.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
There’s so many free or cheaper options for goalies this year that trading a mid 1st for one would be a bad move. Koskinen is a decent starter, we just need a goalie that can play over .500 hockey for 40% of the season. I’d even be fine with bringing Smith back if he signs for 1.5 million.

Yeah I think this is a year where they might be smart to wait and see how things develop.

Worst case scenario you end up with Mike Smith or equivalent as your 1b, that's not ideal but it gives you another year to see what you have in Koskinen and you can put those cap dollars into improving the team somewhere else.

space321

May 11, 2011
Keumper doesn't improve our goaltending by enough to warrant going after him with priority. This team still should look for top line W and D before a goalie.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
OEL would be a good pickup as long as Neal is also going the other way.

My suggestion:

Trade 14 and Russell to Ott for the 28, 58, 70

Trade Klefbom, Neal, 28, and 70 for OEL
A big issue with Arizona is that they likely want to cut costs, and a lot of their players have signing bonuses that have already been paid.

OEL falls in that, making him less likely to be traded. He makes roughly the same as Klefbom now.

Also, a lot of players we might take are in the same boat. Kessel, Raanta, Stepan. They aren't tradeable because they've already been paid a lot of their money.

If we want any hope of getting OEL, we NEED to send Russell back, just because at least we paid that bonus, so they get to salvage some cheap cap space. Neal has no bonuses and is just pure money. A no-go for Arizona.

A solid we could pay them is taking a D. Hjarlmasson, Goligoski, Demers are 1 year left. I know we don't need them, but maybe we could find a team that would take them, and include them in this.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
47 with McDavid and 31 with Leon. Separately I am going to guess 60-65 of the 77 would be with one of them on the ice.

Thanks. I think this is two fold:

1) Our offense has run through those 2 and to a lesser degree Nuge so when he plays with anyone else points are hard to come by.

2) He really isn't that good offensively to create offense when played with less than high end skilled forwards.

So basically nothing new IMO :)

Gregor's articles about Nurse really show why Nurse/Bear played with McDavid.

They're by far the best puck-moving/puck-transporting pair on the team. Nurse was 5th in the league in controlled exits last year.

He was also sixth in the league in creating scoring chances off zone entries. He had 23 of those last season. The rest of the D core had 23 combined.

As much as people like to focus on the negatives with Nurse, he's very good(even compared to defensemen across the league) at making sure McDavid isn't playing in his own zone when he's on the ice.

Bear is the best puck mover and Nurse is the best puck rusher on D on our team. How many of those 23 chances were high quality chances? It is pretty common for Nurse to gain the zone and fire the puck wide or right into the goalie or try to score on sharp angle shotss when his rush is running out of real estate. The tools are there but IMO he just doesn't fit the mold of an offensive defenseman IMO. I have always hoped that he could develop into a better skating Souray. Tough as nails with a very hard shot that can score with regularity from the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad