Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Y’all got any more of that Cracknell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The real question isn't when the trades happen, it's if there's even going to be a next season.

There will almost certainly be a season, just kind of a question of what format that takes.

Are we talking 20 games in a bubble and the rest in a more normal style with small segments of fans being allowed in gradually?

Reactions: McTedi

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
There will almost certainly be a season, just kind of a question of what format that takes.

Are we talking 20 games in a bubble and the rest in a more normal style with small segments of fans being allowed in gradually?
I'm sure the franchises are dying for some gate revenue. And I'm sure they will play next season regardless.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm sure the franchises are dying for some gate revenue. And I'm sure they will play next season regardless.
they will do something. To me, even if it is some weird covid season with hub cities or whatever, I'll still pay attention. If they could do a playoffs now, they can do something. So of course this offseason matters.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Even if there will be no gate revenue you have to stay relevant in the entertainment industry. Once a percentage of people lose interest you lose a lot of TV revenue and obviously future gate revenue.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Even if there will be no gate revenue you have to stay relevant in the entertainment industry. Once a percentage of people lose interest you lose a lot of TV revenue and obviously future gate revenue.
It's kinda already happened. The ratings lately haven't been all that great.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Without the playoff atmosphere and with all of the terrible shit going on in the US it isn't a surprise IMO. The bottom line is that the NHL doesn't want to lose its place in the entertainment industry and will do all that it can to hold its spot.

Reactions: CarlWising

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
they will do something. To me, even if it is some weird covid season with hub cities or whatever, I'll still pay attention. If they could do a playoffs now, they can do something. So of course this offseason matters.
I literally hate all of the remaining teams but there has been some good hockey these playoffs. I even found myself rooting for Thatcher Demko to steal one last night. The kid is an amazing goalie. But the Nucks still suck.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

The NHL insisted on this gimmicky format with no warm up game basically, so I don't feel sorry for them that their TV ratings are in the toilet as the playoffs have gone on.

Reactions: Faelko

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Without the playoff atmosphere and with all of the terrible shit going on in the US it isn't a surprise IMO. The bottom line is that the NHL doesn't want to lose its place in the entertainment industry and will do all that it can to hold its spot.
I'd be interested to see how the MLB and NBA are doing.

This "format" really hasn't helped the league the way it thought it would since most of the megastars are out.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
The real question isn't when the trades happen, it's if there's even going to be a next season.

Oiler fans need to grasp that for the change we want? We will need to give up several pieces we do not want to move. Our 3rd and 4th line are still shit and we have only 2 players who showed heart in whatever the HELL knocked us out

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Oiler fans need to grasp that for the change we want? We will need to give up several pieces we do not want to move. Our 3rd and 4th line are still shit and we have only 2 players who showed heart in whatever the HELL knocked us out
the issue is that there are some teams who aggressively fix problems that end up backfiring. Don't we have to sort of admire what Arizona and Florida did? Florida had bad goaltending, so they get the best one in the league. They added a ton of depth, including Dadonov, Yandle, Hoffman, Haula, Boyle, Stralman. Admit it, these are the types of moves you're talking about when you mean fixing problems.

Arizona; Kessel, Hall, Grabner, Soderberg, Stepan, Kuemper, Raanta, Goligoski, Demers.

I'm not disagreeing with you exactly. It's just that if we make changes we better be darn sure that that player will deliver results, and that we are correctly identifying what the problems are. Sometimes, the right answer is to be more hands off.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Not surprising. The Stars and Islanders aren’t exactly going to draw big numbers. The big market teams are all gone. It especially didn’t help that us, Toronto, Nashville, and Pittsburgh went out in the gimmick round.

Reactions: Faelko

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
I'd be interested to see how the MLB and NBA are doing.

This "format" really hasn't helped the league the way it thought it would since most of the megastars are out.

NBA ratings were definitely down early on. Not sure if things have changed in the 2nd round. I also believe they were down in the regular season as well. MLB I'm not sure about. Most games are still regionally televised so it would be interesting to see the ratings based on team.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Not surprising. The Stars and Islanders aren’t exactly going to draw big numbers. The big market teams are all gone. It especially didn’t help that us, Toronto, Nashville, and Pittsburgh went out in the gimmick round.
Ah, the NHL. With a gimmie putt they drove it into the lake on the next hole.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Ah, the NHL. With a gimmie putt they drove it into the lake on the next hole.
Cant really blame the league for that, the players are the ones playing the games. Maybe if the megastars need to be in the playoffs for interest, the megastars should win more games.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Cant really blame the league for that, the players are the ones playing the games. Maybe if the megastars need to be in the playoffs for interest, the megastars should win more games.

Or they could have done what the NBA did and had more than 1 whopping warm up game before proceeding to a best of 5 elimination.

Raptors have better ratings than what Sportsnet is getting from the NHL playoffs now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hockey ratings are horrific in Canada

View attachment 365540

For the week of Aug. 17-23, Sportsnet National’s cume of Round 1 playoff games ranked 17th out of the Top 30 shows with a Monday to Friday AMA of 581,000 viewers. Early Round 2 games that week dropped further to 20th spot with an average audience of 542,000.
In recent springs, NHL Round 1 and 2 playoff games would be more in the one to two million viewer range. The elimination of Canadian teams, such as the Leafs, Oilers, Flames and Canadiens, hasn’t helped.

Quebec was watching the Habs in big numbers

View attachment 365542

The Big Four dominate Canada’s Top 30 the week of Aug. 17-23 – brioux.tv

upload_2020-9-2_20-14-21-png.365540

You can see the ratings there, NHL playoffs in Canada are sucking gas ratings wise.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
upload_2020-9-2_20-14-21-png.365540

You can see the ratings there, NHL playoffs in Canada are sucking gas ratings wise.
does this include streaming services such as NHL live? because everyone I know doesn't have cable and exclusively watches hockey on NHL live. Ive been doing it for 4 years.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
NBA ratings were definitely down early on. Not sure if things have changed in the 2nd round. I also believe they were down in the regular season as well. MLB I'm not sure about. Most games are still regionally televised so it would be interesting to see the ratings based on team.
I read that the ratings for the 2nd round were much lower than 1st round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad