Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Trade Cloned, Keep Soli | STAY AWAY CHIA

Which side?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
4 more years of dead cap after this one? That would be a really REALLY bad idea. I'd rather ride out the 5.5M for the next 2 than stretch out his cap at a discounted rate for 2 extra years.
Best case scenario is that he gives it a go, realizes that he can't play at an NHL level anymore and retires so we can put him on LTIR for the duration of his contract. Buying out multi-year contracts is a last resort move and I would be a no resort move if it was up to me.

$5.5 million for 2 more years = good luck adding any non drafted help to his team. Maybe you an explain to Connor, Drai and Nuge about why we will be pissing away 2 more years of their primes just to save a few million in cap 3 and 4 years from now.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He's a better puck mover than anyone not named Oscar Klefbom though. He also has some offense to his game. I think at worst he's another Matt Benning.

He can move the puck more and has a better shot than most of our D. But he is slow as hell on D.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Manning is absolutely a net negative, he wasn't better then what the Oilers had on the team at the time of trade and there were still guys to come back for injury.
Yea I didn't like the trade as well but at least he is bringing something to the lineup (definitely not enough IMO, but it is something).

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
In the case of Eberle I wonder if his cap hit combined with his poor playoff production meant that we literally could not give him away for free?
I doubt that that's true to be honest. Eberle is a consistent 50-60 point player and the cap has been rising steadily. That contract isn't even that bad anymore.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think we're beginning to see that isn't entirely true. There are definite weaknesses in Manning's game, but he has skill.
I have absolutely not seen any of it beyond a couple big hits. He's worse then Gravel and is a bad player. I hope he gave his agent a huge bonus for that contract he utterly doesn't deserve.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
The extra year with no cap retention from Chicago just blows.
Yea the extra year on both Spooner and Manning's deals are one of the many reasons Chiarelli should be gone. I don't know why he keeps making moves like this when the obvious play is to just cut the losses and go into next year with as much cap space as possible to bring in at least one more top level talent rather than bottom line fodder.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
LeBrun again saying Hamilton is available, not that we didn’t know that already. Crying shame they want a top 6 forward for him, something we don’t have. They’re trying to make the playoffs so picks/prospects won’t do it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
LeBrun again saying Hamilton is available, not that we didn’t know that already. Crying shame they want a top 6 forward for him, something we don’t have. They’re trying to make the playoffs so picks/prospects won’t do it.
Well that depends I guess on what they think of Jp and Chiasson. If they like either guy maybe we could add enough futures to make it work

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Better than a NMC so pretty good deal from Chia.

The Oilers did not really given out NTC until Chia started handing them out like candy . I wish I had a boss like Chia to negotiate my pay with .

Player XXX is worth 1.2 million . Agent ask for 2.2 million leaving room to negotiate .

Chia it is a little high but if you accept a NTC I think I can get you the 2.2 million . Just need to know you are committed to the team . Problem is Chia forgets that no GM is trading for his over paid 6, 7 D and 3rd and 4th liners . Who needs skill character is what matters .

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Fair enough. The Strome for Spooner trade was so stupid especially with the hindsight that we were going to be hiring Hitchcock.

Hitchcock would have loved Strome. I wasn't a fan of Strome but he was growing on me this season with his dedication to becoming a defensive center.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I'd be very tempted to do Hamilton for Puljujarvi + something, depending on if Hamilton can show some rebound in his game in the next few weeks.

You could build around a top 4 of Klefbom, Nurse, Hamilton, Bouchard as the future D core.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

I would trade JP for Hamilton. It would be a deal that helps both teams. JP and Aho already have excellent chemistry and are good friends off the ice, Hamilton solidifies our 2nd pairing with Nurse and 1st PP unit.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'd be very tempted to do Hamilton for Puljujarvi + something, depending on if Hamilton can show some rebound in his game in the next few weeks.

You could build around a top 4 of Klefbom, Nurse, Hamilton, Bouchard as the future D core.

You'd have to clear something like $4M+ to make that swap work.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Gross. Simmonds is Lucic 2.0.

This . These type of players just don't age well .

Again I was happy when Chia was hired . A proven GM with a Stanley Cup to his name . I even defended they Larsson trade . Not because I think he got fair value but because there was always rumours around Hall in the dressing room . I still think Chia should of gotten another piece or went and kept Hall and signed Demers . Larsson while he plays a hard nose style he is not a great skater or passer . How much better would we be ?

Maroon McD Chia son could have kept Maroon
Hall Draisaitl Puljujarvi Use Puljujarvi in a role to develop his offence
Benson RNH Yamamoto soft minutes

Klefbom Demers
Nurse Russell
same crappy bottom pairing

Much better winger depth and better support for the young guys . Weaker D but the offence makes up

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
JP + for Hamilton would require the plus be something far more valuable than JP for car to consider it.

Hamilton may have his issues but he's still a damn good top 4 offensive dman signed long term in his prime.

JPs value is nothing right now.

If we were to land Hamilton it would likely be Chiasson and jp plus one of bear or jones, or a 2nd imo.

A rental, a question mark, and a potential long term replacement.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
JP + for Hamilton would require the plus be something far more valuable than JP for car to consider it.

Hamilton may have his issues but he's still a damn good top 4 offensive dman signed long term in his prime.

If we were to land Hamilton it would likely be Chiasson and jp plus one of bear or jones, or a 2nd imo.

I would do Bear + Chiasson + JP for Hamilton.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yes, all those wonderful cap overpayments. Death by a thousand cuts and further crippling our forward depth.

It was a brutal trade.
'Crippling' the forward depth? We traded Drake Caggiula.

I'm not a fan of adding cap for a defenseman who likely isn't in our top six, but be real. This trade had little to no impact on the active roster beyond the cap spending.

This trade still leads me to believe that Sekera is done here.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

If you are getting Hamilton it makes giving up Bear/Jones a lot easier to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad