Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Trade Cloned, Keep Soli | STAY AWAY CHIA

Which side?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I don’t disagree with most of that. However, he might have started to decline, but he was still a 50 point player until he inexplicably fell off a cliff. There’s a very sharp cutoff with Lucic where he went from a 2nd liner to 4th liner, and it doesn’t line up with any argument people presented when he was signed. Age, accumulating injuries, or whatever, doesn’t explain the turn he took. It was too sudden, and too sharp, with no obvious cause. It’s not like say Hemsky’s shoulder where it was obvious he wouldn’t be the same, and would decline early

He had been slowing down for a while and the chickens came home to roost last year. I don't think there's much more to it than that.

Reactions: Aerrol

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If we look at the non-playoff teams in the EC:

Buffalo has Hutton
Canes have Mrazek, Mcelhinney and Darling
NYR-King reigns supreme
Fla- Reimer and Bobby Lou
Philly- Gritty (or soon will be)
NJ-Kincaid/Schneider/Blackwood
Ott-Anderson & Nilsson (recently acquired)
Det-Bernier and Howard

Ottawa, Detroit & Philly made the most sense with Ottawa in the lead (until they acquired Nillson).
Honestly it might have been Buffalo, because they have Hutton, but he's hardly a world beater

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I don’t disagree with most of that. However, he might have started to decline, but he was still a 50 point player until he inexplicably fell off a cliff. There’s a very sharp cutoff with Lucic where he went from a 2nd liner to 4th liner, and it doesn’t line up with any argument people presented when he was signed. Age, accumulating injuries, or whatever, doesn’t explain the turn he took. It was too sudden, and too sharp, with no obvious cause. It’s not like say Hemsky’s shoulder where it was obvious he wouldn’t be the same, and would decline early.

My point is that people patting themselves on the back for “calling it” didn’t call it at all. Just because he inexplicably stopped being able to produce doesn’t mean people were right in saying he’ll suck because powerforwards decline early since their bodies break down faster, and he has Scheuermanns. He’s healthy as can be. People were wrong about what would happen. They just got lucky guessing the result

Just because he's healthy doesn't mean he's not aging. Age can show itself in a variety of ways - slower reaction time, worse stamina, less fine motor skills. Everyone ages differently too. I agree that it's been rather shocking to see him fall apart the way he has, but Lucic was already IMO declining in LA when we signed him - he definitely wasn't the wrecking ball type player he was in Boston, that's for sure. More of the grinder type that we got when we signed him.

If it bridges the gap a bit, I think I can comfortably say that people patting themselves on the back for saying it was a bad signing aren't wrong AND that it's possible he has a Dustin Brown-esque resurgence as he figures out what exactly was ailing his game. His sudden goal scoring spree is a good start. But I'd be very surprised to see it continue, much more than I would to see him remain what he appears to be now: an incredibly expensive 3rd or 4th line winger who is occasionally scary.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I'll guess it's the Rangers, and Cambot is just a salary dump from Edmonton's perspective. Talbot is blocking it because he needs to play, not warm the bench for Lundqvist.

Also it seems like every second trade we make is with the Rags so really I'm just playing the odds. ;)

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Go from a .923 sv percentage to under .900 probably isn't a smart move on Dallas' part.

I agree it wouldn't be smart and it won't happen, hence the 'dare to dream' statement at the bottom of my post. Bishop and Khudobin have put up some solid numbers for the Stars and yet Dallas is fighting for a wildcard spot.

The Oilers haven't gotten consistent goaltending and they're fighting for a wildcard spot.

Such a strange season so far.

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
You can hide slow in the NHL as long as your defence is good at moving the puck. Actually use the size thing as an advantage.

Problem is our defence is the worst in the league at moving the puck.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's funny how Chiarelli could have literally given Eberle away for free and we would be in a better spot than we are now.

Same with Cagguila.
Caggiula should have been let go this summer. It was a mistake to re-sign him.

Strome, I can't agree with. I just don't understand the timeline for the deals. It was literally weeks of play that divided the willingness to give this guy a two year term and a trade where we take on a struggling winger. Strome was an effective player--even when he wasn't scoring.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Strome, I can't agree with. I just don't understand the timeline for the deals. It was literally weeks of play that divided the willingness to give this guy a two year term and a trade where we take on a struggling winger. Strome was an effective player--even when he wasn't scoring.
I don't think it was a mistake to re-sign him. it was a mistake to give him the contract he ended up with though.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
if talbot is saying no its to any team that gives up as many scoring chances against as the oilers. he knows wherever he goes he has to show he can play because he is a UFA at the end of the season. go to philly and get shelled for 20 games? nah he wants to go to pittsburgh or somewhere he can be a solid back up and show hes good in a small sample size so someone dumb gives him a 3 year 4.5 m deal.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto

I mean regardless, what we're left with from those deals is Manning and Spooner.

Manning maybe you can argue is not a net negative but Spooner is literally worse than an empty roster spot right now.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I mean regardless, what we're left with from those deals is Manning and Spooner.

Manning maybe you can argue is not a net negative but Spooner is literally worse than an empty roster spot right now.
Manning is absolutely a net negative, he wasn't better then what the Oilers had on the team at the time of trade and there were still guys to come back for injury.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

In the case of Eberle I wonder if his cap hit combined with his poor playoff production meant that we literally could not give him away for free?

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't think it was a mistake to re-sign him. it was a mistake to give him the contract he ended up with though.
There's no argument there. But he's always been a net negative player. I think he's just one of those players that certain coaches romanticize because they bring a physical game.

I think we're seeing the disconnect between Todd McLellan and Ken Hitchcock now in terms of player preference. There are certain guys that were on this roster at the beginning of the season that Hitchcock simply has or had no time for. I think the one guy who doesn't fall into that is Ryan Strome, who I believe would have thrived under Hitchcock's system.

All of the trades this season have been bothersome for one reason or another, but the Strome trade just doesn't pass the smell test to me. It didn't make any sense. We needed Strome.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Strome is better than the empty roster spot though, which is what I'm arguing.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Manning is absolutely a net negative, he wasn't better then what the Oilers had on the team at the time of trade and there were still guys to come back for injury.
I think we're beginning to see that isn't entirely true. There are definite weaknesses in Manning's game, but he has skill.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
We should've walked away from Strome's contract and let him become an UFA. IMO we should do the same from Rieder after this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad