Which side?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It was a mistake because the actual savings were smaller compared to the cap penalty. In this case it’s not nearly as black and white. 4M saved x 2 years is pretty significant and 2.5m x 2 years as a penalty is ... worth it IMO.

Eh, I'd explore options before doing that. How are the actual dollars compared to the caphit?
If the actual dollars are less, maybe the new GM can offer him to a low budget team that's looking to reach the cap floor. Maybe he can join Datsyk and Pronger on Arizona's retirement team.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Yeah but wasn't it reported by somebody reliable that he was willing to waive for any team?

@McFuhryous I was thinking Ottawa too, great minds and all that.

Dreger said something to the effect of he imagines he'll waive for anyone now, but no solid source confirming it afaik. I believe it was just speculation.

The guy has 2 year old twins, that's gonna complicate any potential trades and him waiving his clause imo.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Dreger said something to the effect of he imagines he'll waive for anyone now, but no solid source confirming it afaik. I believe it was just speculation.

The guy has 2 year old twins, that's gonna complicate any potential trades and him waiving his clause imo.

His wife is from Texas...maybe he's holding out for a deal to go down south, be closer to her family?

Talbot for Khudobin.

Dare to dream, Arnold.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Eh, I'd explore options before doing that. How are the actual dollars compared to the caphit?
If the actual dollars are less, maybe the new GM can offer him to a low budget team that's looking to reach the cap floor. Maybe he can join Datsyk and Pronger on Arizona's retirement team.

Oh it’d be my last resort option as well.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
As for Sekera, I would do:
Sekera + 4th 2020
For
Kovalchuk (retained 1M to make cap even)

Sekera returns to the Kings for a Kovalchuk that’s in the doghouse, the 4th is for the retention. Kovy could thrive on PP or playing with McD. Both players have 3 yrs left. Kovy isn’t my ideal target but it’s good to put Sekera money to use somewhere.
He was bads in LA for them, plus I don't see Kovy waiving to come here.
Another deal I would do it Rieder + 3rd for Burakovsky
Chiasson + 5th for Ho-Sang + 4th (which becomes a third of Isles make it to round 2)

End up something like this:
Bura-McD-Pulju
Kovy/RNH-Drai-HoSang
Carrier-RNH-Khaira
Identity Line

More or less same D
I don't think I do either of those trades. As bad as Reider has been he has a more defined role than what I see Burkaovsky getting here. I also don't move Chiasson, I'd be re-signing him.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
His wife is from Texas...maybe he's holding out for a deal to go down south, be closer to her family?

Talbot for Khudobin.

Dare to dream, Arnold.

I would assume he wants somewhere within reasonable flying distance of Edmonton so he can see his family still this season. I can't imagine him uprooting his family for half a year before being a free agent. This is likely going to be a case of his family remaining here while he goes to another team, with a more permanent solution in the summer.

Reactions: McFuhryous

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
When is this all going to heat up? Are they allowed to trade during the All-Star break or not?
I was listening to some localshow last week and part of the issue is teams have identified that they may be sellers, they just don't want to sell quite yet. They don't want to quit quite yet and completely throw that towel in, which would result in fans potentially leaving.

The flip side as well is some buyers don't have space or want to spend quite yet either.

Pagnotta is kind of useless to be honest. He's been caught lying before

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
NTCs are for star players and highly sought-after UFAs imo. Easier said than done when negotiating I suppose, but Chia does seem to give them out like candy. I can't believe Kosk has a modified NTC in his new deal... after 30-some NHL games. Insanity.
I remember a fun time when the Flames had like half their roster tied up in NTCs.

The fact that Lucic has an NMC says all you need to know.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Talbot for Khudobin.

Dare to dream, Arnold.
I get the family thing, but if he truly wants to be in the NHL he is going to have to suck it up. He can't exactly start alienating teams

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Yeah but wasn't it reported by somebody reliable that he was willing to waive for any team?

@McFuhryous I was thinking Ottawa too, great minds and all that.

My guess is Ottawa, but who knows. I would think you're right, that was probably Chiarelli's "plan"

If we look at the non-playoff teams in the EC:

Buffalo has Hutton
Canes have Mrazek, Mcelhinney and Darling
NYR-King reigns supreme
Fla- Reimer and Bobby Lou
Philly- Gritty (or soon will be)
NJ-Kincaid/Schneider/Blackwood
Ott-Anderson & Nilsson (recently acquired)
Det-Bernier and Howard

Ottawa, Detroit & Philly made the most sense with Ottawa in the lead (until they acquired Nillson).

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I get the family thing, but if he truly wants to be in the NHL he is going to have to suck it up. He can't exactly start alienating teams

If the rumor holds true that players with NTC/NMC have to submit their list at the start of the year, I would presume Ottawa wasn't on it. Now that he knows he's the odd man out, I think that list grows from 10 teams to 20. Or 30 (lol).

I don't think he'd be alienating teams...I just knew his wife was American, but couldn't recall which state until I looked it up.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If we look at the non-playoff teams in the EC:

Buffalo has Hutton
Canes have Mrazek, Mcelhinney and Darling
NYR-King reigns supreme
Fla- Reimer and Bobby Lou
Philly- Gritty (or soon will be)
NJ-Kincaid/Schneider/Blackwood
Ott-Anderson & Nilsson (recently acquired)
Det-Bernier and Howard

Ottawa, Detroit & Philly made the most sense with Ottawa in the lead (until they acquired Nillson).

"Part of a bigger deal" got me thinking Ottawa since Dzingel's name came up and Ottawa is the type of place that is on most no trade lists I'd imagine. I can't imagine that he wouldn't waive for Philly. I can't see Detroit since they already have Howard's big contract on the books.

I hate to say it but I could see Chia offering up 1st+Talbot for Dzingel since they'd need to add extra to take Talbot's contract. I really like Dzingel but a 1st would be a big no for me even with Talbot's contract coming off the books.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I would assume he wants somewhere within reasonable flying distance of Edmonton so he can see his family still this season. I can't imagine him uprooting his family for half a year before being a free agent. This is likely going to be a case of his family remaining here while he goes to another team, with a more permanent solution in the summer.

Throw the house up on "Air BnB" and take them all with him :DD.

Duder54

Dec 11, 2017
Canadian ex-pat in Zurich, Switzerland
I remember a fun time when the Flames had like half their roster tied up in NTCs.

The fact that Lucic has an NMC says all you need to know.

The Lucic contract stinks, but to be fair, I'm fairly certain he would have gotten a NTC/NMC from whichever team ended up signing him. If I recall, Edmonton wasn't even the team which offered the most money, which is insanity.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Lucic contract stinks, but to be fair, I'm fairly certain he would have gotten a NTC/NMC from whichever team ended up signing him. If I recall, Edmonton wasn't even the team which offered the most money, which is insanity.
Yes, Montreal offered him more. Bullet dodged by them for sure.

And you're probably right about the NTC/NMC. Doesn't make it any less idiotic.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
"Part of a bigger deal" got me thinking Ottawa since Dzingel's name came up and Ottawa is the type of place that is on most no trade lists I'd imagine. I can't imagine that he wouldn't waive for Philly.

I hate to say it but I could see Chia offering up 1st+Talbot for Dzingel since they'd need to add extra to take Talbot's contract. I really like Dzingel but a 1st would be a big no for me even with Talbot's contract coming off the books.

He'd have been pretty much guaranteed the #1 job in Philly, but with the emergence of Hart and firing of Hextall, any deal there is probably dead with Fletcher. Dzingel would definitely be a nice add but not for Chairelli's pay range. If Dorion manages to fleece him...

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I was listening to some localshow last week and part of the issue is teams have identified that they may be sellers, they just don't want to sell quite yet. They don't want to quit quite yet and completely throw that towel in, which would result in fans potentially leaving.

The flip side as well is some buyers don't have space or want to spend quite yet either.

Pagnotta is kind of useless to be honest. He's been caught lying before

4th period has been useless for years

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Philly or Florida I would think.

There are some pretty creative trades that could be made with Florida if we took Reimer back.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010

Talbot for Khudobin.

Dare to dream, Arnold.
Go from a .923 sv percentage to under .900 probably isn't a smart move on Bostons part.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
You're making the mistake of thinking his decline started in January of last year when the signs were there even the year before when his 5v5 production tanked to its lowest level of his career to that point. IMO, Lucic started to slide in his last year in Boston, rebounded a bit in LA and has completely gone off the rails here in Edmonton.

I don't know enough about Dustin Brown's case to know why he went into the tank when he did. I can tell you his 5v5 scoring rates didn't dip nearly as bad as Lucic's have. His PP time got chopped,which probably accounts for a big part of his production decline and as soon as he started getting big PP minutes again last season, his production jumped. So there's your likely explanation.

Whatever the reason, when you look at Lucic today, there's not a player there anymore.

I don’t disagree with most of that. However, he might have started to decline, but he was still a 50 point player until he inexplicably fell off a cliff. There’s a very sharp cutoff with Lucic where he went from a 2nd liner to 4th liner, and it doesn’t line up with any argument people presented when he was signed. Age, accumulating injuries, or whatever, doesn’t explain the turn he took. It was too sudden, and too sharp, with no obvious cause. It’s not like say Hemsky’s shoulder where it was obvious he wouldn’t be the same, and would decline early.

Plenty of players slow down by now - look at Bobby Ryan. It's less likely but not unheard of. What's your point anyways? That no one could have possibly seen this coming this early? Its a year or two earlier than most of those posts critiquing the deal from than thread would have predicted, but it's not like this is TOTALLY out of nowhere. People commented at the time that the contract was a big risk to give to a player like Lucic.

My point is that people patting themselves on the back for “calling it” didn’t call it at all. Just because he inexplicably stopped being able to produce doesn’t mean people were right in saying he’ll suck because powerforwards decline early since their bodies break down faster, and he has Scheuermanns. He’s healthy as can be. People were wrong about what would happen. They just got lucky guessing the result

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad