Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Looking Ahead, Navigating a $81.5M Landscape

Status
Not open for further replies.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If we win the pick I’m trying to trade it and Neal for Chabot + 5th. Then flipping #5 and Russel for Huberdeau. Crazy idea, would it work?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Ovechkin didn't win a cup until he went salt and pepper, despite incredible individual accolades. Jack Eichel has never played a playoff game.

Again, this won't be popular, but if McDavid wants to take his ball and go elsewhere at 24 years old because he doesn't have a cup ring... then hes not the type of leader that will bring a cup here anyway.

I'm not worried in the slightest, because he's not the type to throw a temper tantrum or demand immediate gratification.

The issue is not getting a ring, the issue is total lack of success. Washington had a lot of very good years and some good playoffs and some dud playoffs but they were actually playing for it and were close. Having this team miss the playoffs 3 out of 4 years of mcdavid when we have another top 5 player in the world now in Drai is a sheer and utter disgrace.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
I really think the Oilers need to run next season with McDavid-Draisaitl-RNH down the middle. Play a 4th line that gets 8-10 mins a game and plays on the PK. Ken will need to improve the winger depth but each guy having his own line will help keep them fresh playing 16-18 mins a night, you ride your stars as the game goes on you can load up 2 lines, but start the game with all 3 down the middle Always seems guys have less energy to commit to defensive play when they are playing 22 mins a night and taking longer shifts... should allow guys to be fresher as the season wears on into the playoff race and playoffs when you can up their mins as needed

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The issue is not getting a ring, the issue is total lack of success. Washington had a lot of very good years and some good playoffs and some dud playoffs but they were actually playing for it and were close. Having this team miss the playoffs 3 out of 4 years of mcdavid when we have another top 5 player in the world now in Drai is a sheer and utter disgrace.

Well, let's clear one thing up - as far as the NHL is concerned, that first round was a playoff series, so we made the playoffs this year. Yay?

If Connor is the kind of man I think he is, the person he's mad at is himself right now. He's not the type that's going to storm into Holland's office and demand to be dealt.

We had a good year with some positive steps forward. Now it's on the GM to revamp this roster to go at it again next year.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
That D core would get absolutely victimized over an 82 game season. Not to mention the severe lack of depth they'd have in the instance someone gets injured.

Who on that unit handles a player like Kirby Dach? How would they fare against the cycle of a heavier opponent? There's a lot more that goes into the playstyle of an NHL defenseman than a simple first pass. Defending being big one. New or old NHL, that'll always be important.
That D is literally no different than what we ran this year bar Larsson swapped with Bouchard.

unless someone is avalible through trade, that lineup is a real possibility

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Bear was garbage. I dont give a f*** if this is his first taste of intense hockey. The guy gifted Chicago 2 game winning goals in the last 2 games. Nurse just flat out sucks at defensive coverage, Klefbom just plain sucks at defense, makes dumb reads, constantly gives the puck away when in full possession and plays with no intensity.

There's your series right there. Fix those 3 things and this series isnt even close.

People are putting Ethan Bear on too high a pedestal. He needs to be held accountable just like any other player. You will see the same shit if he isn't told he f***ed up and make sure the f***s ups dont happen to that degree again.
An unfortunate tip and Draisaitl's blown coverage is Bear 'gifting' goals? In both plays his man was Jonathan Toews.

Bear was probably the biggest surprise of the entire NHL season for the Oilers. I don't get the hate.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Yeah, no. This team's prospect pool is nowhere near good enough to throw multiple firsts down the tubes.

Again, this team + Pietrangelo still isn't good enough to win a Cup. It might not even be good enough to get past the likes of Vegas or Colorado.

Yeah that was my point.

It absolutely sucks to say but we need to give the young guys time and probably need to deal either Nurse or Klefbom longterm.

Klefbom/Nurse-Bear
Broberg-Bouchard
Jones-Benning/whoever

Is probably what we're building toward eventually, and we're going to have to hope like hell either Broberg or Bouchard - or both - develop into top pairing options.

I think next year is a show-me year for Nurse, but I doubt there's any runway left there development-wise, so if someone comes along with an offer this off season, you pull the trigger. Otherwise you have another offseason to decide. Klef's contract is just too good to move on from IMO. He just needs to play fewer minutes.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
An unfortunate tip and Draisaitl's blown coverage is Bear 'gifting' goals? In both plays his man was Jonathan Toews.

Bear was probably the biggest surprise of the entire NHL season for the Oilers. I don't get the hate.

Not to mention on the tip he was left alone to cover two guys while Nurse was of in la la land.

Reactions: Oilhawks

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Yeah, no. This team's prospect pool is nowhere near good enough to throw multiple firsts down the tubes.

Again, this team + Pietrangelo still isn't good enough to win a Cup. It might not even be good enough to get past the likes of Vegas or Colorado.

It absolutely sucks to say but we need to give the young guys time and probably need to deal either Nurse or Klefbom longterm.

Klefbom/Nurse-Bear
Broberg-Bouchard
Jones-Benning/whoever

Is probably what we're building toward eventually, and we're going to have to hope like hell either Broberg or Bouchard - or both - develop into top pairing options.

Probably the wrong thing to do, but I would move Klefbom and Larsson. I would take those assets (and maybe AA, JP or the first rounder) and get a good third line centre, a top six winger, and the best goalie prospect I can find.

McDavid / New Winger / ??
Drai RNH Yam
AA / New third line centre/ Kass
Neal / Chiasson / ??

Nurse / Bear
Jones / Bouchard
Russell / Benning
Lagesson

Koskinen
Goalie Prospect (NHL ready but unproven)

Add a UFA depth D-man if needed. Then add Broberg in 2021/2022.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If we win the pick I’m trying to trade it and Neal for Chabot + 5th. Then flipping #5 and Russel for Huberdeau. Crazy idea, would it work?
Lafreniere might end up being a Huberdeau-level winger eventually. You're overvaluing the pick.

Reactions: KlefDown

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That D is literally no different than what we ran this year bar Larsson swapped with Bouchard.

unless someone is avalible through trade, that lineup is a real possibility
I would argue that it's doubtful the lineup we see next year is that green. It's probably a greater likelihood that Bouchard starts the year in Bakersfield again. Especially if Holland decides to bring Benning back as his third pair RD.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I would argue that it's doubtful the lineup we see next year is that green. It's probably a greater likelihood that Bouchard starts the year in Bakersfield again. Especially if Holland decides to bring Benning back as his third pair RD.
I think Bouchard is ready to make the jump to full time NHL. even if it’s in a bottom pairing low minutes role.
Starting him in Bako does nothing for him or Oilers at this point

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Lafreniere might end up being a Huberdeau-level winger eventually. You're overvaluing the pick.
I was just thinking last night about how LaF could be Huberdeau 2.0
Which is no knock to LaF since Hubes is a 100 point winger

I really like the prospect of Timothy Stutzle too but too bad LA kings will get him

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I dont think Bear had the greatest playoffs but honestly if Nurse was solid (which he should of been) as he has played in the NHL over several years now, I am sure that it would of helped Bear significantly. As a rookie he was stabilizing the pairing more than Nurse. I think its hard to be critical of Bear in these playoffs. He at some bad moments, but I think he had less than the rest of the top 4. Combined with the regular season, hes the only one who really plays a modern day of transition.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Probably the wrong thing to do, but I would move Klefbom and Larsson. I would take those assets (and maybe AA, JP or the first rounder) and get a good third line centre, a top six winger, and the best goalie prospect I can find.

McDavid / New Winger / ??
Drai RNH Yam
AA / New third line centre/ Kass
Neal / Chiasson / ??

Nurse / Bear
Jones / Bouchard
Russell / Benning
Lagesson

Koskinen
Goalie Prospect (NHL ready but unproven)

Add a UFA depth D-man if needed. Then add Broberg in 2021/2022.

You shouldn't need to move two top 4 D to fill those kinds of holes and make the already so-so blueline worse.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
are people forgetting this was Bear's rookie season?

Bear is the least of our worries. A great rookie season (legit middle pairing D), plus a good playoffs.

He actually might be a reason we do not need to make drastic changes to our D core. Next year, he should be a solid middle plairing D- with still top pairing or good #3 upside

Jones will hopefully come in as a good bottom pairing D who can also slot in middle pairing if need be.

Then add in Bouchard as well. we do have a good group of young D who will make NHL impacts next year

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I think one of the main reasons for the loss was a lack of leadership from our Dcore.
nobody stepped up and took charge. I'd like to blame Klefbom/Nurse as they are vets and leaders on the team

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Well, let's clear one thing up - as far as the NHL is concerned, that first round was a playoff series, so we made the playoffs this year. Yay?

If Connor is the kind of man I think he is, the person he's mad at is himself right now. He's not the type that's going to storm into Holland's office and demand to be dealt.

We had a good year with some positive steps forward. Now it's on the GM to revamp this roster to go at it again next year.

Yeah the team was a playoff team all year long. The entire reason we have a regular season is because except for the very good teams and the very bad teams, teams 5-25 aren't separated by much as teams like the Hawks, Canadiens, Coyotes just proved. The grind of the regular season, dealing with injuries, bad stretches and overcoming is what separates teams. When you take all that and throw it out the window this is the result you get.

The way things worked out for the Oilers it was about the worst case scenario they could of ended up in after an almost entire year of earning a playoff spot. I was hopeful they would take the slight of having to play in this farce and really show up but unfortunately they went the other way with it. Now after losing in such devastating fashion I think this goes one of two ways for guys, either you're so disgusted with what happened that you devote yourself to never feeling that way again and as a whole come together to not leave any doubt and not have any excuses. Or they do what they've made a habit of and fold into themselves and continue to have that "I don't know what happened" mentality.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Klefbom, Jones, Bear, Broberg, and Bouchard has the makings of a very, very strong puckmoving D group.

Russell has no place in it. Larsson has no place in it. I'm seriously questioning whether Nurse has a place in it. Bear is the absolute least of our issues.
100% agree with you. I literally said in another post like one hour ago that Larsson and Russell are my two picks to be shown the door this off-season

Reactions: ChaoticOrange
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad