Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Lock It Up, Apparently We're Set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I have a feeling this is how Chia sees the team going into training camp:

Maroon-McDavid-Strome
Lucic-Draisaitl-Slepyshev
Caggiula-RNH-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Letestu-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Russell-Benning
Nurse-Gryba
Fayne

Talbot
Broissoit

Pretty darn thin on the wings so hopefully we acquire that veteran winger Bob was talking about. The D is pretty thin as well and not too sure they can hold the fort until Sekera comes back

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Done?

What does that constitute for you? I am curious as to how many points given a good situation he could put up in each of the next three years.

I see 50-55, 45-50, and 40-50 for him in the next three. Given my opinion that he does not rely on speed but playing a cerebral game where he slows the game down and creates space for his team mates by drawing players to him.

Saying that you only take him on that term if he accepts a deal in the 2-3M per season range in case he does drop off substantially. I have some faith as I believe Doug Wilson was quoted as saying he thinks Thornton is like Jagr and could play into his 40s.

Guy's at age 38/39 who tear their ACL don't come back the same. Unless I'm wrong Jagr did not tear his ACL.

Not Robin Brownlee

The docile tones!
Nov 17, 2008
Agreed. I don't mind buying out Pou but we should be bringing in a UFA or two to help push us over the top and be better than last year. As of right now, we are worse and are banking on someone like Puju to step in and produce.

Are 'we' worse ? you're not on the team and you don't know thats what 'they're' banking on. gawd!

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Thornton with torn ACL and MCL is still better than RNH

not sure how true that news was to begin with considering Joe has been skating around already and is good to go for the start of next season.
Sekera's surgery was like a week after Joe's and is out til December.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
We could not get Elias Lindholm for RNH...

Not even close.
Why not? RNH is a center vs. a winger in Lindholm, who hasn't been as productive and Lindholm is goal light on a team that wants more offense. It has also been mentioned many times management in Carolina is high on RNH which can make all the difference. An argument can be made why Carolina wouldn't, but calling it not even close, seems out to lunch.

Oilyveins97 said:
Eberle isn't much better than Strome, especially the Strome that finished the year
Eberle has a career points per game of 0.75, Strome has a career points per game of 0.49; Strome has a lot to prove and what's with this how Strome ended the year stuff, he had 2 points in his last 10 games and only had 3 points in his last 30 games against playoff teams.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
not sure how true that news was to begin with considering Joe has been skating around already and is good to go for the start of next season.
Sekera's surgery was like a week after Joe's and is out til December.

How is that even possible? I don't think it's recommended to go skating like 1 month after surgery. Maybe Thornton doesn't give a crap, but man that's crazy.

Oh well, just shows that the reports of Sekera being out for 9 months are overblown. He probably will be ready for opening night.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008

Maroon-McDavid-Strome
Lucic-Draisaitl-Slepyshev
Caggiula-RNH-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Letestu-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Russell-Benning
Nurse-Gryba
Fayne

Talbot
Broissoit

Pretty darn thin on the wings so hopefully we acquire that veteran winger Bob was talking about. The D is pretty thin as well and not too sure they can hold the fort until Sekera comes back

Cam Talbot, please save our butts.

Again.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
How is that even possible? I don't think it's recommended to go skating like 1 month after surgery. Maybe Thornton doesn't give a crap, but man that's crazy.

Oh well, just shows that the reports of Sekera being out for 9 months are overblown. He probably will be ready for opening night.

Sekera had a complete tear of his ACL, which requires reconstruction surgery and 6-9 months recovery time.

Thornton's injury was primarily MCL and the ACL part was overstated as it was a great playoff warrior story in April. No major reconstruction surgery required and thus he can be back skating much sooner.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Better get used to "thin on the wings."

Amazing when Pittsburgh managed to be quite deep there.

To be fair, Sheary, Rust + Guentzel all were developed correctly and blossomed.

But, Kunitz, Kessel and Hornqvist are all good veterans.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Amazing when Pittsburgh managed to be quite deep there.

Depends on which version of the Penguins you're talking about for any point in the last 10 years. They got Kessel as a cap dump and got Toronto to retain almost $2 million in salary on him (yowza) and then hit the jack pot with Guentzal through drafting but they've had years where they've been thin on wing.

I think people need to understand you can't be stacked at every position. That's not how the salary cap works.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't see us getting Marleau. We're not going to give him more than 1 year, I'd hope. If he would sign for 5-ish million for 1 year I think he'd stay in SJ

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Marleau-Mcdavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Strome
Maroon-?-Kassian
Caggiula-Letestu-Slepyshev

Need another center but man those forwards are crazy.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sekera had a complete tear of his ACL, which requires reconstruction surgery and 6-9 months recovery time.

Thornton's injury was primarily MCL and the ACL part was overstated as it was a great playoff warrior story in April. No major reconstruction surgery required and thus he can be back skating much sooner.

Didn't Pitlick also have a complete tear of the ACL?

He had surgery at the end of December/early January but was skating again by early May.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I don't see us getting Marleau. We're not going to give him more than 1 year, I'd hope. If he would sign for 5-ish million for 1 year I think he'd stay in SJ

Or sign Marleau for 2 years and trade RNH for a PMD. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Maroon-McDavid-Strome 7.85
Lucic-Draisaitl-Slepyshev 15
Caggiula-RNH-Puljujarvi 9
Khaira-Letestu-Kassian4.5
Pakarinen725K

Klefbom-Larsson 8.2
Russell-Benning 5
Nurse-Gryba 2
Fayne-Sekera 9M

Talbot 5
Broissoit

buyout 2.3

So this adds up to 69M which includes 8M for Draisaitl, 3.85 for McDavid and 2M each for Puljujarvi and Nurse (assuming some bonuses)..It also includes full cap hits for Sekera and Fayne.

I just dont see Oilers going into the season with 6M of cap space.

We should pick up some cheap help.. atleast an Iginla if not more

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Are 'we' worse ? you're not on the team and you don't know thats what 'they're' banking on. gawd!

Please explain to me how we are better? We are "banking" on players to take the next step to be just as good or better than last year. That includes guys like Puju, Strome and Nurse taking the next step. If they fail to do so, how exactly are we a better team?

I have no issues with the Ebs for Strome trade, cap space is very valueable and I think Strome can have a decent season. I also have no issues with the Pou buyout. My issue is with us not filling holes and expect it to be done internally.

In my opinion, we should be bringing in a a 2RW or 3C (depending on what the plan with Strome is), 3-4LW and if Sekera is in fact out for an extended period of time, a 4-5 stop gap dmen (an upgrade over Gryba).

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Probably going to have to find another solution for this as soon as his bargain contract is done. Why should anyone take a discount if McDavid isn't?

this, 100 times this

mcdavid has set the expectation that nobody on the team needs to put the team before themselves.... every person should only go after the money, without concerning themselves with the TEAMS success

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
this, 100 times this

mcdavid has set the expectation that nobody on the team needs to put the team before themselves.... every person should only go after the money, without concerning themselves with the TEAMS success

Sorry, but blame Chia for his **** cap management and not McDavid for leaving money on the table. He's getting less than what he's worth.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I'd bring Anders Nilsson back on a one or two year deal. That will let Brossoit get more games in the ahl.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
We need another depth center. Bonino's price tag won't be high like Hanzal's.

Unless Khaira is ready.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
So this adds up to 69M which includes 8M for Draisaitl, 3.85 for McDavid and 2M each for Puljujarvi and Nurse (assuming some bonuses)..It also includes full cap hits for Sekera and Fayne.

I just dont see Oilers going into the season with 6M of cap space.

We should pick up some cheap help.. atleast an Iginla if not more

Hartnell and Iginla for cheap and call it a day :nod:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Better get used to "thin on the wings."

Lucic, Puljujarvi, Maroon, Caggiula, Strome, Kassian, Slepychev

I would have taken this kind of thinness on the wing any time the last decade.

There is a lot of size, speed and skill there. I am more worried about our Cs than our wing. Not sold on Draisaitl and Nuge.

Drai is going to be a whipping boy this year... book it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille