Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Lock It Up, Apparently We're Set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
this, 100 times this

mcdavid has set the expectation that nobody on the team needs to put the team before themselves.... every person should only go after the money, without concerning themselves with the TEAMS success

This is why if he took even 2 million less it would at least set a precedent. An internal cap where everyone takes a bit less to make a championship calibre team. Hell if the Oilers win the cup and Mcdavid and Drai are making 13 and 10, and Klefbom, Talbot, Larsson, Puljujarvi, etc. are all making 4 or lower. They will probably all bolt as well, and rightfully so. I'm worried this team is going to be two massive contracts with just a massive revolving door of under paid players that will stay a few years before they bolt.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
this, 100 times this

mcdavid has set the expectation that nobody on the team needs to put the team before themselves.... every person should only go after the money, without concerning themselves with the TEAMS success

Are you gonna be alive after this offseason? I mean, you and the other fans who are over-reacting might not make it through this offseason. I suggest going on a fishing trip or do something non-hockey for a while k?

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
this, 100 times this

Quite the opposite. Everyone needs to take a discount to play with McDavid. If secondary guys want to win, they need to take a pay cut.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sorry, but blame Chia for his **** cap management and not McDavid for leaving money on the table. He's getting less than what he's worth.

It kinda sucks but I really gotta wonder, is one's quality of life any substantially different making a $12 million salary versus a $13.25 million? Especially when you're taking home an additional $2-$4 million/year in endorsement deals that other players don't have the luxury of attracting.

Crude

Rafters 94
Jul 15, 2007
Edmonton
Sorry, but blame Chia for his **** cap management and not McDavid for leaving money on the table. He's getting less than what he's worth.

Explain to me what exactly constitutes Chia's "**** cap management" of the Oil so far? I bet all you have to say is Lucic. If 97 and 29 are looking for raises like this, how is that Chia's fault? You better be the biggest fan on this board of the Hall and Eberle trades, otherwise you are a massive hypocrite.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I'd bring Anders Nilsson back on a one or two year deal. That will let Brossoit get more games in the ahl.

and what would that accomplish? LB had nothing to prove in AHL and needs some playing time in NHL.

Ellis deserves the starting role in AHL.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
re; thin on the wings.

meh.

our "wings" have been bad forever.....couldn't win battles....couldn't keep possession....couldn't shoot the puck.

I'm actually optimistic the wings will be better in most of those areas. I'd go after a depth center (desjardins?) and some obscure tweener depth guys ala agostino/woods/chistian thomas etc.

maybe a role player to challenge khaira like upshall/fiddler or wait for waivers to see if you want another player.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Lucic, Puljujarvi, Maroon, Caggiula, Strome, Kassian, Slepychev

I would have taken this kind of thinness on the wing any time the last decade.

There is a lot of size, speed and skill there. I am more worried about our Cs than our wing. Not sold on Draisaitl and Nuge.

Drai is going to be a whipping boy this year... book it.

The bolded are not sure things by any means.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Quite the opposite. Everyone needs to take a discount to play with McDavid. If secondary guys want to win, they need to take a pay cut.

I disagree in full. Hockey is a team game, and while everyone acknowledges the best players deserve to get paid, if the Oilers want to pay 2 guys big money then everyone else scraps, we aren't going to string together any kind of dynasty. Hell if one of those guys goes down for a long time we'll surely miss the playoffs.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
re; thin on the wings.

meh.

our "wings" have been bad forever.....couldn't win battles....couldn't keep possession....couldn't shoot the puck.

I'm actually optimistic the wings will be better in most of those areas. I'd go after a depth center (desjardins?) and some obscure tweener depth guys ala agostino/woods/chistian thomas etc.

maybe a role player to challenge khaira like upshall/fiddler or wait for waivers to see if you want another player.

Like I said, Gregor's tweet + the Pouliot buyout wouldn't make me surprised to see us targeting a specific free agent. The Oilers didn't need to buy out Pouliot right now, so something has to be cooking in order for the buy out to make sense.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Like I said, Gregor's tweet + the Pouliot buyout wouldn't make me surprised to see us targeting a specific free agent. The Oilers didn't need to buy out Pouliot right now, so something has to be cooking in order for the buy out to make sense.

but i dont care for them.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The Pouliot buyout reminds me of two years ago when Chiarelli traded Boyd Gordon and signed his replacement (Letestu) for $1.2M cheaper on July 1. I agree something is up.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It kinda sucks but I really gotta wonder, is one's quality of life any substantially different making a $12 million salary versus a $13.4 million? Especially when you're taking home an additional $2-$4 million/year in endorsement deals that other players don't have the luxury of attracting.

According to LeBrun the oilers had the chance to get mcdavid at 11-12. On a 5 year deal. A length that would have fallen in line with Crosby, malkin, Kane, Tavares, stamkos out of their elc... But the oilers pushed for a full 8 which bumped it up to 13+. Need to stop blaming the McDavid camp. Chiarelli is the one doing the negotiating. A players agent is going g to get everything g a team will give them. It's the gms job to make it reasonable.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I'd love to see the posters on here pass on millions of dollars. I don't blame the players for wanting what they are worth/ what teams are willing to pay. Sure you can pass on a couple hundred thousand to be comfortable but man oh man everyone on here would do dirty things for millions of dollars.

Not Robin Brownlee

The docile tones!
Nov 17, 2008
Please explain to me how we are better? We are "banking" on players to take the next step to be just as good or better than last year. That includes guys like Puju, Strome and Nurse taking the next step. If they fail to do so, how exactly are we a better team?

I have no issues with the Ebs for Strome trade, cap space is very valueable and I think Strome can have a decent season. I also have no issues with the Pou buyout. My issue is with us not filling holes and expect it to be done internally.

In my opinion, we should be bringing in a a 2RW or 3C (depending on what the plan with Strome is), 3-4LW and if Sekera is in fact out for an extended period of time, a 4-5 stop gap dmen (an upgrade over Gryba).

Stop saying we, and give it some time to take shape. Im not saying the oilers are better or worse for that matter, but I also realize its june f ing 29th.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Pouliot buyout reminds me of two years ago when Chiarelli traded Boyd Gordon and signed his replacement (Letestu) for $1.2M cheaper on July 1. I agree something is up.

Unfortunately were still paying for that Gordon trade with the korpse buyout.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Yeah, exactly what I think. Gregor's tweet about Draisaitl's contract, Pouliot's buy out, and even Stauffer's 'VET RW comment' just makes sense that something's up.

Would be awesome if it were Williams or Marleau.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
I'd love to see the posters on here pass on millions of dollars. I don't blame the players for wanting what they are worth/ what teams are willing to pay. Sure you can pass on a couple hundred thousand to be comfortable but man oh man everyone on here would do dirty things for millions of dollars.

No, I will not become a Flames fan for millions of dollars.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Unfortunately were still paying for that Gordon trade with the korpse buyout.
But they got a better player in Letestu and Gordon's body broke down. I don't think Chia minds taking up a little space on a buyout if it means improving the roster.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
This team has like zero injury coverage in any position. It's going to be really sad that we're going to lose the season when one of like 5 different players falls down wrong and is out for 2 months.

I HAVE to hope that Pouliot's buyout is making way for a July 1 target. I would bet against it, because the prevailing narrative from Stauffer and Rishaug seems to be about deadline dollars, but that's a BAD decision and I'm hoping Chiarelli does something right for once this offseason.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Explain to me what exactly constitutes Chia's "**** cap management" of the Oil so far? I bet all you have to say is Lucic. If 97 and 29 are looking for raises like this, how is that Chia's fault? You better be the biggest fan on this board of the Hall and Eberle trades, otherwise you are a massive hypocrite.

10M tied up to Lucic and Russell
Buying out Pouliot to gain 4 years of cap penalty (2 years of dead cap)

It's Chias fault because it's his damn job to take into account of McD's and Drai's asks lmao, that's what GMs do.

I don't get it what do those trades have to do with anything.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I disagree in full. Hockey is a team game, and while everyone acknowledges the best players deserve to get paid, if the Oilers want to pay 2 guys big money then everyone else scraps, we aren't going to string together any kind of dynasty. Hell if one of those guys goes down for a long time we'll surely miss the playoffs.

The penguins fought injuries with their star players and still won the cup.

You're welcome to your own opinion. I guess Gretzky lacked character too for wanting to get paid. The best players in the game get paid.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

We'd do dirty things for our first million.

Our 13th million? Probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino