Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Lock It Up, Apparently We're Set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
People on these boards have set such low standards because of 10 years of Oiler suckage.

Sign Lucic for 6x6 with NMC, **** cap management
Sign Russell who is soon going to be a 3rd pairing dman for 4x4 with an NMC and NTC, **** cap management.
Buyout Pouliot for 1.3M of relief and 1.3M of penalties in 2 years, **** cap management

Also Larsson isn't a top pairing dman, he's good, but not a top pairing yet.

I don't agree with Lucic and Russell being poor cap management decisions. But do agree with Pouliot.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
We'll see.

Lucic looked slow as ever and if you take away the shiny new toy syndrome Oiler fans had, it was a disappointing year for 6M. There were some great moments - the SJ game, the NSH hit on Watson, fighting against Engelland - and there were also some really bad moments - complete loss of scoring at 5v5, the entire Anaheim series sans game 6, dragging McDavid down when on a line together after the first month and a half.

Russell meanwhile had a strong end to his season in the last 4 games against Anaheim, but it really remains to be seen what a shot blocker being paid 4M will be worth when he can't put up a consistent breakout or any offense on the board.

The leadership angle only goes so far. When I think of who was leading this Edmonton team, I think of Connor McDavid, Oscar Klefbom, Adam Larsson, Cam Talbot and at times, Leon Draisaitl. Hell, Maroon fought Chara.

Lucic + Russell are two veterans who are taking roles on the team at this point. I hope Lucic rebounds and scores at 5v5 without needing McDavid to carry him on the PP. I hope Russell finds an offensive uptick and moves the puck with aplomb. If they both decline, Russell will be harder to move than people think (other D-men of his style get bought out or stuck) and Lucic will be borderline immovable unless we retain.

For the 7000th time, Lucic will be going on LTIR when his play declines.

Crude

Rafters 94
Jul 15, 2007
Edmonton
People on these boards have set such low standards because of 10 years of Oiler suckage.

Sign Russell who is soon going to be a 3rd pairing dman for 4x4 with an NMC and NTC, **** cap management.
Buyout Pouliot for 1.3M of relief and 1.3M of penalties in 2 years, **** cap management

Also why the **** did Chia said he'll match any offer sheet, literally no reason to do so and is basically inviting GMs to try.

1. Hall was signed for $6M as well. So if we had Hall instead of Lucic, we'd be in the exact same cap position right now, and we wouldn't have Larsson.

2. $2.7M of cap relief***

3. Agree to disagree. Klef - Lars is the best pairing we've had in a decade.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
1. Hall was signed for $6M as well. So if we had Hall instead of Lucic, we'd be in the exact same cap position right now, and we wouldn't have Larsson.

2. $2.7M of cap relief***

3. Agree to disagree. Klef - Lars is the best pairing we've had in a decade.

Larsson is definitely a number 2 d man. Klefbom's already on the path to be a number 1 d man as well. Both of their contracts are such a + for the Oilers.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Lucic was a UFA.. probably the most sought after one to boot.
6M for a 50pt powerforward with Lucic's size and mean streak is more than fair.
We needed size in our top 6. I would take Lucic and his 6M over Hall and his 6M in our top 6 even right now.

Russell is a top 4 D and played well last year. He can be moved after 2 seasons if needed. With Sekera injury this was a no brainer.

Pouliot relief is 2.7M not 1.3M..

Also, Larsson is more of a top pairing Dman than Klefbom.

The caphit for both Lucic and Russell is fine.. The term is the issue but an expected one considering both were about to hit free agency. For me Sekera deal is worse than Lucic and Russell.. IMO he will be washed up sooner than Russell.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008

Will the Oilers win the cup soon?

Just want to know since you know the future already, I guess as Lucic's doctor you know is spine is done before the end of the deal or we'll get away with cap circumvention.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Will the Oilers win the cup soon?

Just want to know since you know the future already, I guess as Lucic's doctor you know is spine is done before the end of the deal and we'll get away with cap circumvention.

The way he trains in the offseason he may outlast Draisaitl physically.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
your comments are pathetic just like the majority of the comments in this section. If ChiaPete was unable to move Pouliot, what makes you think an aging lucic with a hunchback who reportedly has back problems and a greater cap hit is easier to move? Kris Russell is just as bad, we didn't rely on him to make the playoffs, and neither was he effective enough in the playoffs to get a 4x4 extension. Both lucic and russell will end up just like pouliot mark my words. Plus, we seem to loose more trades than win, which will negatively impact the quality of the team. With McDavid and Drai extension coming in, we will not win a cup. Not when we have to face teams like columbus or pittsburgh, who have depth throughout their line-up.

These boards are insufferable. Coming off a 103 point season and all people can do is complain.

Peace.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Really? The only improvement I see is Hamonic..and they mortgaged the future to do it
They brought in an old goalie, a prospect and Versteeg..who wasn't that good for them last year

Wasn't that good for them? Dude put up a respectable 15 goals and 4 points in 4 games in the playoffs.

Meanwhile we're paying Kassian, who scored less than half of those goals, more on a longer deal.

And I'll always take the sure thing over magic beans any day. Our defense needs upgrades.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Friedman keeps comparing Draisaitl to Malkin as though they are equal.

:facepalm:

It doesn't take much thought to figure out what he is doing.

It's pure sensationalism at its best. Rile up a fan base for a team he absolutely hates and made him look foolish through the course of last season.

No way Friedman actually thinks Malkin and Leon are equal. He is just trying to rile people up and maybe influence the market against the Oilers.

Gonna be hilarious to see his reaction if the Oilers sign for so much and then Leafs follow suit with their youngsters.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Would people take Hartnell?

He is 35 but got buried by Columbus' depth on the 4th line and it seems they bought him out for the purpose of creating more cap room to land another top 6 guy.

If he was cheap enough on a 2 year deal do you consider it?

Secondly besides that the only options I see for Pouliot's 2.7M in savings + our extra cap for this season are Jumbo, Williams, Marleau, and Pirri as I think we are done on D.

Fayne made much more sense to buyout so maybe he actually is getting considered as the 7D till Sekera is back.

Klef-Larss
Russell-Benning
Nurse-Gryba
Fayne

Ugly but we could manage and maybe pick someone up at the deadline.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Really? The only improvement I see is Hamonic..and they mortgaged the future to do it
They brought in an old goalie, a prospect and Versteeg..who wasn't that good for them last year

kinda like how the Oilers brought in an old goalie in 2006.

Smith is the same age as Rinne\Lundqvist and was recently an all star.
There is no doubt Flames improved goaltending and are now a legit playoffs team.

Lets not be in denial.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

Lucic is 29. He's not going to sail into that good night like Ference did or Hossa is doing unless he's actually hurt.

And even then, who knows what LTIR even looks like by then. There's a CBA needed a few years and it's been the most egregiously used tool for salary cap circumvention. Good chance it changes.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Wasn't that good for them? Dude put up a respectable 15 goals and 4 points in 4 games in the playoffs.

Meanwhile we're paying Kassian, who scored less than half of those goals, more on a longer deal.

And I'll always take the sure thing over magic beans any day. Our defense needs upgrades.

Kassian is younger, grittier and brings an element this team needs...toughness

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

There is no doubt Flames improved goaltending and are now a legit playoffs team.

Lets not be in denial.

Smith was an all-star in the same way that Bo Horvat was an all-star. Every team needed a rep and he was the least bad Coyote.

He's been below average to average for 5 years. The one year in his career when he was more, the Coyotes defensive play was oppressive.

Not Robin Brownlee

The docile tones!
Nov 17, 2008
HF oil: i love the oilers i just hate everything they do and i can do it better, i can't sit here and take this i want to register my disgust throughout the world, and i hate pizza and beer.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Lets not be in denial.

didn't say the same thing last year when Elliott and his .930% was brought in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad