Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Lock It Up, Apparently We're Set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mullet

Aug 2, 2005
Stauffer keeps throwing pirri name out there. Not sure how it makes sense to sell or dump our guys in down years and pick up other teams??? Why not keep what you have and hope for the rebound to happen here. Also not sure why draft picks are so valued. Are you telling me a pick to take pouliot and leave reinhart wasn't the move? Save cap and asset. Keep seeing Chia making stupid moves.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Why would Pouliot be bought out this season?

Either:

A. Draisaitl and McDavid contracts are going to be very hefty

B. We are targetting someone in FA

C. Chia wants more cap room at the TDL

Although I'm sure there would have been enough cap space available this year for option A to not make sense, since buying out Pouliot next year would have been a smarter move. Either we're targeting a free agent (probably a 2 year deal since we save on cap space for 2 years), or Chia wants to be a big buyer at the trade deadline.

I guess the bonus thing could be true as well, but even if all of the rookies hit their bonuses, we'd still have cap space available wouldn't we?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
But they got a better player in Letestu and Gordon's body broke down. I don't think Chia minds taking up a little space on a buyout if it means improving the roster.

We could have just kept Gordon and signed letestu. Wouldn't have had to buyout Korpikoski. And would have been out of Gordons contract.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You seriously think RNH will only return us Corey Potter?

I'd love to imagine that he would return a top 4 d-man, but considering what the previous returns have been, I wouldn't expect much.

Much like Eberle, RNH's value is very low right now. Selling low on him too won't get you much.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
We could have just kept Gordon and signed letestu. Wouldn't have had to buyout Korpikoski. And would have been out of Gordons contract.
Right, but the Oilers were pretty thin on the wings and knew they had a centre coming in to take Gordon's spot. Korpikoski wasn't a good winger but I can see why they did it.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
I'd love to see the posters on here pass on millions of dollars. I don't blame the players for wanting what they are worth/ what teams are willing to pay. Sure you can pass on a couple hundred thousand to be comfortable but man oh man everyone on here would do dirty things for millions of dollars.

I would take 3 stanley cups and $50 million over $250 million and zero stanley cups. You're filthy rich either way. I don't even think it's exactly ethical to own that kind of money in a world where there are hundreds of millions of starving people. But everyone's different. Not saying taking that kinda money wouldn't be tempting, but lots of people don't believe money is the be all and end all as well. Certainly when Connor is an 80 year old man looking back on life, cup wins will be more precious than the 20 yachts he could afford with his hundreds of millions in career earnings.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
and what would that accomplish? LB had nothing to prove in AHL and needs some playing time in NHL.

Ellis deserves the starting role in AHL.

I like LB and agree Ellis is ready to be the starter for the Condors.

One goalie injury and Ellis will be called up is my concern.

Talbot is needed for Edmonton's success.

At the same time I don't want McLellan running Talbot out of gas like DeBoer did with Martin Jones.

I'd like the backup to perform in at least 20 games in the regular season to rest Talbot for the run.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
10M tied up to Lucic and Russell
Buying out Pouliot to gain 4 years of cap penalty (2 years of dead cap)

It's Chias fault because it's his damn job to take into account of McD's and Drai's asks lmao, that's what GMs do.

I don't get it what do those trades have to do with anything.

Both players are essential to that locker room, are leaders and helped rebuild the pathetic culture we've had here.

Posters act like they are old farts that can't play. Both of those guys are 29 and still have a lot of hockey left in them. It will be easy to move either one of these guys when the time comes.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I would take 3 stanley cups and $50 million over $250 million and zero stanley cups. You're filthy rich either way. I don't even think it's exactly ethical to own that kind of money in a world where there are hundreds of millions of starving people. But everyone's different. Not saying taking that kinda money wouldn't be tempting, but lots of people don't believe money is the be all and end all as well. Certainly when Connor is an 80 year old man looking back on life, cup wins will be more precious than the 20 yachts he could afford with his hundreds of millions in career earnings.

First, this is a false dilemma. You can get paid AND win cups.

Second, you're an idiot if you're passing on 200M.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Explain to me what exactly constitutes Chia's "**** cap management" of the Oil so far? I bet all you have to say is Lucic. If 97 and 29 are looking for raises like this, how is that Chia's fault? You better be the biggest fan on this board of the Hall and Eberle trades, otherwise you are a massive hypocrite.

lets see... Hall got us a 4M top pairing Dman ... ****** cap managment
Eberle for Strome saved us 3.5M ... ****** cap management
Pouliot buyout saves us 2.7M this and next year (Drai and McD's new deals kicking)
Locked up top 4 D for 18M and have Nurse and Benning as futures making us set on D....****** cap management.

Look at Oilers lineup before Chia took over and look at it now.

Ference-Petry
Klefbom-Fayne
Marincin-Schultz
Aulie

Scrivens
Fasth

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
According to LeBrun the oilers had the chance to get mcdavid at 11-12. On a 5 year deal. A length that would have fallen in line with Crosby, malkin, Kane, Tavares, stamkos out of there elc... But the oilers pushed for a full 8 which bumped it up to 13+. Need to stop blaming the McDavid camp. Chiarelli is the one doing the negotiating. A players agent is going g to get everything g a team will give them. It's the gms job to make it reasonable.

Didn't most those players do 5 year deals that still left them in RFA status at the time?

People need to start blaming McDavid and his agent for not understanding the differences in the cap world right now.

McDavid is worth 25 million to a franchise next year but 9 mill tops to a team if he produces even as amazing as he did last year.

One person can only do so much for a team. He only plays 20 minutes a night.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Pouliot buyout saves us 2.7M this and next year (Drai and McD's new deals kicking)
Locked up top 4 D for 18M and have Nurse and Benning as futures making us set on D....****** cap management.

Ference-Petry
Klefbom-Fayne
Marincin-Schultz
Aulie

Scrivens
Fasth

The horror of that.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Both players are essential to that locker room, are leaders and helped rebuild the pathetic culture we've had here.

Posters act like they are old farts that can't play. Both of those guys are 29 and still have a lot of hockey left in them. It will be easy to move either one of these guys when the time comes.

Culture is the most toxic buzzword in the hockey world. Good culture doesn't make players winners, players winning makes a good culture. Chiarelli himself said culture is overstated and it all comes down to players and their skills turning the ship around. 29 is the beginning of the drop off for most players in NHL (unless you're a superstar)

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I have this strange feeling that a GM has told Chiarelli that they will offer sheet Draisaitl with a big contract, and Chiarelli is getting ready to match. I also wonder if Draisaitl expects an offer sheet, so is holding out in order to maximize his contract. Chiarelli has already said he will match anything.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
First, this is a false dilemma. You can get paid AND win cups.

Second, you're an idiot if you're passing on 200M.

Not a false dilemma by any means. The more money he takes the less chance at cups he has.

Second, we are different people with very different values. My biggest hero is the philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein. He inherited the largest fortune in Europe and gave the entire thing away to charity so that he could live a simple life working on philosophy. He revolutionized philosophy and the way people think. He isn't an idiot. He is a person of immense drive and integrity. If you think money is that important I feel sorry for you.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Didn't most those players do 5 year deals that still left them in RFA status at the time?

People need to start blaming McDavid and his agent for not understanding the differences in the cap world right now.

McDavid is worth 25 million to a franchise next year but 9 mill tops to a team if he produces even as amazing as he did last year.

One person can only do so much for a team. He only plays 20 minutes a night.

No. Everyone of those deals took the player to UFA status.

If people are going to be critical, that is certainly within their right. But get the facts right at least.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
NJ would probably have some interest in RNH...something around RNH (6) for Wood (0.925) and Zacha (1.744). Save over 3 mil and gain 2 good cheap young players . Probably something Chia would do

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I have this strange feeling that a GM has told Chiarelli that they will offer sheet Draisaitl with a big contract, and Chiarelli is getting ready to match. I also wonder if Draisaitl expects an offer sheet, so is holding out in order to maximize his contract. Chiarelli has already said he will match anything.

Who could it be? Burke? Sweeney? Benning?

Oilersfan93

Jun 22, 2016

your comments are pathetic just like the majority of the comments in this section. If ChiaPete was unable to move Pouliot, what makes you think an aging lucic with a hunchback who reportedly has back problems and a greater cap hit is easier to move? Kris Russell is just as bad, we didn't rely on him to make the playoffs, and neither was he effective enough in the playoffs to get a 4x4 extension. Both lucic and russell will end up just like pouliot mark my words. Plus, we seem to loose more trades than win, which will negatively impact the quality of the team. With McDavid and Drai extension coming in, we will not win a cup. Not when we have to face teams like columbus or pittsburgh, who have depth throughout their line-up.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

if true then I wouldnt mind us getting rid of him.

He will fetch us a nice haul.

Hopefully it isnt true and we are just waiting for July01 to announce both signings in one presser.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008

We'll see.

Lucic looked slow as ever and if you take away the shiny new toy syndrome Oiler fans had, it was a disappointing year for 6M. There were some great moments - the SJ game, the NSH hit on Watson, fighting against Engelland - and there were also some really bad moments - complete loss of scoring at 5v5, the entire Anaheim series sans game 6, dragging McDavid down when on a line together after the first month and a half.

Russell meanwhile had a strong end to his season in the last 4 games against Anaheim, but it really remains to be seen what a shot blocker being paid 4M will be worth when he can't put up a consistent breakout or any offense on the board as he ages and his body breaks down. Hasn't been healthy in the last few years for the whole season.

The leadership angle only goes so far. When I think of who was leading this Edmonton team, I think of Connor McDavid, Oscar Klefbom, Adam Larsson, Cam Talbot and at times, Leon Draisaitl. Hell, Maroon fought Chara.

Lucic + Russell are two veterans who are taking roles on the team at this point. I hope Lucic rebounds and scores at 5v5 without needing McDavid to carry him on the PP. I hope Russell finds an offensive uptick and moves the puck with aplomb. If they both decline, Russell will be harder to move than people think (other D-men of his style get bought out or stuck) and Lucic will be borderline immovable unless we retain.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014

Ference-Petry
Klefbom-Fayne
Marincin-Schultz
Aulie

Scrivens
Fasth

People on these boards have set such low standards because of 10 years of Oiler suckage.

Sign Lucic for 6x6 with NMC, **** cap management
Sign Russell who is soon going to be a 3rd pairing dman for 4x4 with an NMC and NTC, **** cap management.
Buyout Pouliot for 1.3M of relief and 1.3M of penalties in 2 years, **** cap management

Also Larsson isn't a top pairing dman, he's good, but not a top pairing yet.

Also why the **** did Chia said he'll match any offer sheet, literally no reason to do so and is basically inviting GMs to try.

Crude

Rafters 94
Jul 15, 2007
Edmonton

Ference-Petry
Klefbom-Fayne
Marincin-Schultz
Aulie

Scrivens
Fasth

:handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad