Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: This is the Sound of Silence

Status
Not open for further replies.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I don't know why, but I have this feeling that Hall is actually going to sign with Edmonton.

Maybe that's what Stauffer was trying to sell all season long - Hall never wanted to leave but management pushed him out.

Hell, there were even rumors of Eberle coming back to Alberta when he becomes UFA lol

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Nope. Strome is slow af just like Gagner. Gagner is more skilled than Strome and has better hockey IQ.

They have about the same skill level except that Strome is better at center, is better defensively and far better on the PK.

He broke even on a 3rd line that had anchors attached to him, namely the 6M one. The 3rd line has been getting torched ever since he was dealt.
He's not a good player by any means but I'd certainly deal Gagner for him.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They have about the same skill level except that Strome is better at center, is better defensively and far better on the PK.

He broke even on a 3rd line that had anchors attached to him, namely the 6M one. The 3rd line has been getting torched ever since he was dealt.
I hated Strome and I'd take him over Gagner 100%.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

North

Jun 25, 2009

Strome has been playing wing in NY because he’s middling as a centre.

I’d rather the guy who seems to be able to add some offense to help take the load off the big three and is good in the room rather than the guy who can’t seem to find a role and stick with it.

Reactions: Oilhawks

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
For whatever it's worth. I expect to be called out. I'm just the messenger.

I have a friend who is well connected in the hockey world. Good friends with a few scouts and played with Gerald Gallant, Alan MacIssac in Chicago (senior vice president) and still remains friends. Any time I have ever needed tickets, he has always gotten them for me. He even got me tickets to the Bell Center that were Guy Lafleurs. I have the envelope at home.
He informed yesterday that Hunter has been asked to take an interview and he has agreed to an interview once his season is over.
As I said, I expect to be called out. I'm just reporting what was told to me. I'm onboard with Hunter. I think he will gut the office. He is a Hunter. I actually think Bob will step down
Not critical of it at all. It makes a ton of sense actually. What wouldn't surprise me is it actually could possibly be for the POHO job to ease Bob Nicholson over to the business side, following in Kevin Lowe's footsteps.

It was briefly mentioned here as a possibility.

Senators looking to hire president of hockey operations - Sportsnet.ca

"As far as the Edmonton Oilers are concerned, it’s still debatable how deep the ownership — especially Darry Katz — wants to go in making significant changes,” Kypreos said.
The Oilers have been in the market for a new general manager since January when they fired Peter Chiarelli, and CEO Bob Nicholson has made it clear he’s taking his time in finding the perfect candidate as he looks to fix the culture in Edmonton. Could that search extend to hiring a second executive?
“[Katz] also has the option, much like the Ottawa Senators, to find a president to oversee his general manager and their relationship with the coach moving forward. Right now, that presently belongs to Bob Nicholson,” Kypreos explained. “But what a president of hockey operations would do, is it would exclude Bob Nicholson from the hockey side and get him solely looking at the business side.”

As I've mentioned before, I'm not entirely thrilled at the idea of Mark Hunter simply due to the lack of a real successful track record at the NHL level in any regard, but perhaps in a POHO role he might be a bit more effective surrounding himself with a group of qualified people.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Not critical of it at all. It makes a ton of sense actually. What wouldn't surprise me is it actually could possibly be for the POHO job to ease Bob Nicholson over to the business side, following in Kevin Lowe's footsteps.

It was briefly mentioned here as a possibility.

Senators looking to hire president of hockey operations - Sportsnet.ca

As I've mentioned before, I'm not entirely thrilled at the idea of Mark Hunter simply due to the lack of a real successful track record at the NHL level in any regard, but perhaps in a POHO role he might be a bit more effective surrounding himself with a group of qualified people.
I'm utterly incapable of taking Kypreos seriously with anything related to the organization. I think the only other people who knows less about the what's going on in the organization are Steve Simmons and Damien Cox.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm utterly incapable of taking Kypreos seriously with anything related to the organization. I think the only other people who knows less about the what's going on in the organization are Steve Simmons and Damien Cox.
Probably why it wasn't discussed at all. But the information falls in line with what is being mentioned here. And in all honesty, I would prefer it over allowing Mr Magoo to continue this embarrassing process of finding a new GM.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Strome has been playing wing in NY because he’s middling as a centre.

I’d rather the guy who seems to be able to add some offense to help take the load off the big three and is good in the room rather than the guy who can’t seem to find a role and stick with it.

Gagner adds offense if he's playing in the top 6, just like Strome is doing now for the Rangers. By all accounts, Strome was a popular locker room guy too so I don't see Gagner being good in the room as an upgrade on Strome.
Strome had a clear role here, #3C. He might have been middling in that role but he was holding his own which is an upgrade from what the 3rd line is now.

With the offense being fairly equal, I'd take the more well rounded player which is Strome IMO.

Reactions: belair

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Probably why it wasn't discussed at all. But the information falls in line with what is being mentioned here. And in all honesty, I would prefer it over allowing Mr Magoo to continue this embarrassing process of finding a new GM.
Well before Nicholson decided to lose his mind over Reider, I would have expected Nicholson to stick around, now I almost expect everything to razed to the ground, I kind of hope it is honestly.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Well before Nicholson decided to lose his mind over Reider, I would have expected Nicholson to stick around, now I almost expect everything to razed to the ground, I kind of hope it is honestly.
Even before the Rieder hiccup, he wasn't really inspiring a ton of confidence. I wasn't buying the whole 'talking to people' spiel. If you don't know what you're looking for, you're not the guy who should be hiring for that role.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
They would have been foolish not to want to look at Hunter. The interesting part of this if your friend is accurate is that Hunter has agreed to meet with them.

Believe me, he is well connected. I have a friend who works radio play by play for the Habs and he said that is who they r looking at

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Seguin signed for 8 years x 9.5, Stone for 8 years x 9.5.

Seguin is a center, Stone's all around game is miles better. Both are younger at the time of signing.

Taking this into account: if Hall signed with us for 8 years x 9m - 9.25m, I'd take him back. Any more than that and it's not worth it.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Seguin signed for 8 years x 9.5, Stone for 8 years x 9.5.

Seguin is a center, Stone's all around game is miles better. Both are younger at the time of signing.

Taking this into account: if Hall signed with us for 8 years x 9m - 9.25m, I'd take him back. Any more than that and it's not worth it.

As much as I’d love to have him, with his injury history I’d hope he’d be willing to take a slight haircut if a max term deal was offered. I’d be a lot happier with a 5 yr deal at that pay grade than an 8.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Gagner adds offense if he's playing in the top 6, just like Strome is doing now for the Rangers. By all accounts, Strome was a popular locker room guy too so I don't see Gagner being good in the room as an upgrade on Strome.
Strome had a clear role here, #3C. He might have been middling in that role but he was holding his own which is an upgrade from what the 3rd line is now.

With the offense being fairly equal, I'd take the more well rounded player which is Strome IMO.

Gagner hasn’t really been playing a top six role save for a handful of games. He has gotten PP time, but so did Strome.

Strome isn’t well rounded. That’s the problem.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
I think Senators would consider trading for RNH... He fits their timelines. They want to compete and will start spending money in 2021 when he would be up for a new contract. He would also help sell tickets right now during their rebuild..

If we actually wanted to trade RNH to Ottawa... (or anyone) we would need two wingers back that can slot into our top 6 from them. Chabot would be off the table.. but perhaps Colin White would be on the table since he plays centre but most likely not as with RNH they could run RNH as their #1c and Colin White as their #2c but they do have Brown coming up... depends how Ottawa views Brown. As an Edmonton fan I would want:

RNH

for

Colin White + young player who can slot into our top 6

If you really want to sweeten it and try to get good value back maybe go:

RNH + Pulj

for

Colin White + Batherson (but Ottawa fans have a fit over including batherson)

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I think Senators would consider trading for RNH... He fits their timelines. They want to compete and will start spending money in 2021 when he would be up for a new contract. He would also help sell tickets right now during their rebuild..

If we actually wanted to trade RNH to Ottawa... (or anyone) we would need two wingers back that can slot into our top 6 from them. Chabot would be off the table.. but perhaps Colin White would be on the table since he plays centre but most likely not as with RNH they could run RNH as their #1c and Colin White as their #2c but they do have Brown coming up... depends how Ottawa views Brown. As an Edmonton fan I would want:4

RNH

for

Colin White + young player who can slot into our top 6

If you really want to sweeten it and try to get good value back maybe go:

RNH + Pulj

for

Colin White + Batherson (but Ottawa fans have a fit over including batherson)

They just moved 3 guys who could have fit in our top 6. How many others does this bottom feeder have waiting to ship out.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Even before the Rieder hiccup, he wasn't really inspiring a ton of confidence. I wasn't buying the whole 'talking to people' spiel. If you don't know what you're looking for, you're not the guy who should be hiring for that role.
Agreed, the speaking to "other teams" seemed really stupid honestly.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
If you really want to make a SPLASH with Ottawa and give us more pieces for the top 6 maybe do something like:

RNH + Pulj + 2nd (I feel like this would have to be a 1st though unless you downgrade batherson for like a Duclair) + Lucic

for

Colin White + Batherson (any player you want not named Chabot / tkachuk or their new toy) + Bobby Ryan

Last edited:

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
They just moved 3 guys who could have fit in our top 6. How many others does this bottom feeder have waiting to ship out.

They have exactly the players we need actually... cheap and young with potential.

I agree we should have made a play for Stone but that ship has sailed and honestly id be happy if we could overpay and snag a colin white and a batherson… that would be great. I'd rather not ship out RNH to do it myself... but hey.. at this point I want to see this team try and make the playoffs.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That tweet was removed, can you share what it was about?
Matheson thought trading Nuge would be crazy, unless you could Ristolainen LOL

Jim Matheson Retweeted David Staples

sorry but this isn't new news. Trading Nuge? There are lots of teams looking for centres but I agree you don't trade a C for a winger. You trade a C for a top pairing D which is why an RNH for Buffalo's Ristolainen scenario is out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad