Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: This is the Sound of Silence

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
What's the time range on those stats? Just the entire 2015-2016 season?

If I remember correctly they literally only played like 4 games on the same line. Back when Hall got traded people kept going on and on about how Hall didn't fit the team because he had no chemistry with McDavid (amongst other excuses). Good times.

Yeah, full 15/16 season.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The BLH tweets kinda had me going for a bit. Lots of the sort of half assed but easy to sell changes you would expect this org to make.

Then they started talking about Taylor Hall coming back and I knew it was all nonsense.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
And our current 3rd line centre has 2 goals and 1 assist in 26 games. That's a downgrade.

Strome had 2 points in 18 games. So it's not really a downgrade, is it.

Strome was never tried with McDavid and don't recall ever with Drai.

He was given Lucic, cajullia and Jp mostly.

The guy was a positive player with terrible wingers. I like Gagner but he make Strome look like Taylor Hall speed wise

Strome played 300+ minutes of his 1000 5v5 minutes as an Oiler with one of RNH or Draisaitl as his centre. He played with Draisaitl (195 minutes) nearly as much as he played with Caggiula and Lucic (~225 minutes each) and more than he played with Puljujarvi (182 minutes).

Strome was -5 as an Oiler. Not a plus player. To illustrate how not telling that stat is, though, Matt Benning is +17 in the last two seasons. It's true that he didn't bleed out, but neither did he generate chances. In spite of a big week early at C in February 2018, something like 38 out of his 50 games at centre were completely off the scoresheet.

If I have any problem with the Oilers handling of Ryan Strome, it was signing him to a 2 year contract. I would have preferred they did not qualify him over the contract they signed. This is how strongly I feel about this player's mediocrity.

Reactions: North

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Strome has 14 goals. Reider has 0

We would be in the playoffs with 14 more goals:nod::skeptic::thumbu:;)

Reider is our third line LW. Strome is New York's top-line RW. Even if you want to say that Strome could or would produce those 14 goals on the Oilers, in order for him to be in the same role, he'd be bumping Kassian - not Reider - and Kassian has 13 goals since December significantly outpacing Strome.

Reactions: ivanlwan and North

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Reider is our third line LW. Strome is New York's top-line RW. Even if you want to say that Strome could or would produce those 14 goals on the Oilers, in order for him to be in the same role, he'd be bumping Kassian - not Reider - and Kassian has 13 goals since December significantly outpacing Strome.

Strome had played mostly on the 3rd line I believe. His promotion is recent.

I was just joking in that post but nonetheless, Strome is a huge upgrade.

That trade was idiotoc..but not a big deal in the grand scheme

But Strome scored 50 w/ Tavares on the wing. There is no doubt he tops Kassian's production in the same place. Kass scored like 20 points w/ the Sedins

Trading Strome without giving him time on the wing was a mistake. Chia pencilled him into a specific role..and that's all he got. Chia misused the player, no question about it

Rangers got the player and are playing him to succeed. Just another Oil failure on the books

Last edited:
Reactions: Louis Cypher

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

But Strome scored 50 w/ Tavares on the wing. There is no doubt he tops Kassian's production in the same place. Kass scored like 20 points w/ the Sedins

Trading Strome without giving him time on the wing was a mistake. Chia pencilled him into a specific role..and that's all he got. Chia misused the player, no question about it

Rangers got the player and are playing him to succeed. Just another Oil failure on the books

Strome played nearly 60 games at wing before being moved to centre, much of that time with quality centres as I've already shown on this page.

Ryan Strome played only 120 of 950 5v5 minutes with John Tavares in his 50 point season, and that season was proven to be an abberation by the next 4. Even his numbers as Ranger only pace him to 37 points (3 more than he had as an Oiler last year). Gagner for example is on a 36 point pace as an Oiler while clearly impacting games better than Strome did in the same amount of games as an Oiler this year.

The Rangers aren't utilizing the player well. They're utilizing a middling player as a key piece and getting borderline 3line production out of him. The Rangers are one of only 7 teams lowlier than the Oilers in the NHL standings. Kassian's recent production may be a career outlier, but he IS producing at a level with Connor McDavid in 2019 that exceeds any stretch of Strome's career - even the 50 point season - and it's not likely Strome would have matched it.

More importantly, you can't be a top heavy team with 21M allocated to two players and spend 3M on a borderline 3line producer who needs top-six linemates and minutes to consistently hit a 30 point threshold.

The great failures of the Oilers w/ Ryan Strome are not in trading him. The Oilers failures come from trading a 5x 20 goal scorer for him, and then giving him a second year on his deal as an RFA. Downgrading in talent and bogging down the cap simultaneously.

Last edited:

North

Jun 25, 2009

Actually it was TMac who decided at the end that Strome was a 3c.

He spent most of Strome’s first preseason with us playing him on the wing and then the last preseason game placed him as the third line c and reunited McDavid and Drai.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Strome played nearly 60 games at wing before being moved to centre, much of that time with quality centres as I've already shown on this page.

Ryan Strome played only 120 of 950 5v5 minutes with John Tavares in his 50 point season, and that season was proven to be an abberation by the next 4. Even his numbers as Ranger only pace him to 37 points (3 more than he had as an Oiler last year). Gagner for example is on a 36 point pace as an Oiler while clearly impacting games better than Strome did in the same amount of games as an Oiler this year.

The Rangers aren't utilizing the player well. They're utilizing a middling player as a key piece and getting borderline 3line production out of him. The Rangers are one of only 7 teams lowlier than the Oilers in the NHL standings. Kassian's recent production may be a career outlier, but he IS producing at a level with Connor McDavid in 2019 that exceeds any stretch of Strome's career - even the 50 point season - and it's not likely Strome would have matched it.

More importantly, you can't be a top heavy team with 21M allocated to two players and spend 3M on a borderline 3line producer who needs top-six linemates and minutes to consistently hit a 30 point threshold.

The great failures of the Oilers w/ Ryan Strome are not in trading him. The Oilers failures come from trading a 5x 20 goal scorer for him, and then giving him a second year on his deal as an RFA. Downgrading in talent and bogging down the cap simultaneously.

Strome played mostly 3rd line in NYR.

He also pk'd here to a decent result.

There is no doubt he would contribute here more as a winger and a pk'er than Gagner does currently

Reactions: Louis Cypher

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

I think trading Strome when your C depth was so bad you had to try Cooper Marody at 3C if you want McDavid and Drai together was the real mistake :) Lineup was so thin, we could not afford trading a C that could survive at 3C for a massive turd in Spooner giving no effort.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Strome played mostly 3rd line in NYR.

He also pk'd here to a decent result.

There is no doubt he would contribute here more as a winger and a pk'er than Gagner does currently

The Oilers had the worst home PKs in the history of NHL tracking with Strome as a central figure. They were near the bottom of the league when we traded him. Peter Chiarelli was even asked about the loss of his PK ability and said something I agree with: Being a PKer on a bad PKing team is like being the tallest midget.

There's no question Sam is more one dimensional, but there's no real reason to think Strome would have had the season with the Oilers that he's having with the Rangers and even THAT season is not impressive.

I'll repeat my central point here: If you're paying 21M to two superstar players, you can not have a 30 point 3line player who doesn't even consistently do that without top-six minutes and linemates at 3M per.

JariCurry

Sep 10, 2005
The Oilers had the worst home PKs in the history of NHL tracking with Strome as a central figure. They were near the bottom of the league when we traded him. Peter Chiarelli was even asked about the loss of his PK ability and said something I agree with: Being a PKer on a bad PKing team is like being the tallest midget.

There's no question Sam is more one dimensional, but there's no real reason to think Strome would have had the season with the Oilers that he's having with the Rangers and even THAT season is not impressive.

I'll repeat my central point here: If you're paying 21M to two superstar players, you can not have a 30 point 3line player who doesn't even consistently do that without top-six minutes and linemates at 3M per.
but he traded him for the exact same cap hit in return. Bad trade. Atleast Gagner somewhat bailed them out.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Ya, I don't think Strome was the reason the PK was horrible. That was clearly the coaches fault

Same as Philly who went from worst to good w/ the same personal

Strome should have been tried out at wing, same as Gagner. Strome is a better player than Gagner...who Vancouver paid to play for another team

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I think trading Strome when your C depth was so bad you had to try Cooper Marody at 3C if you want McDavid and Drai together was the real mistake :) Lineup was so thin, we could not afford trading a C that could survive at 3C for a massive turd in Spooner giving no effort.

100% Trading Strome was just another dumb move by Chia. Getting him for Ebs was ioditic, but trading him for a predictable washout winger w/ HORRRRRRIBALE defense when we could have tried Strome there instead was the epitome of dumb

Chia logic. Lets trade a player who produced 50 points once and atleast had some intangibles for another once upon a time 50 point player w/ no intangibles. Great logic

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
but he traded him for the exact same cap hit in return. Bad trade. Atleast Gagner somewhat bailed them out.

This is because Strome had negative trade value and the only way to move him was for another player priced out. Ditto with Spooner for Gagner.

Again: These are ALL middling to nothing players of no major use to the Oilers, past present or future. Certainly not at their cap hits.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What's the time range on those stats? Just the entire 2015-2016 season?

If I remember correctly they literally only played like 4 games on the same line. Back when Hall got traded people kept going on and on about how Hall didn't fit the team because he had no chemistry with McDavid (amongst other excuses). Good times.

They played together at Biosteel and then pretty much the entire preseason and then the start of the regular season IIRC. Hall wants the puck on his stick too often to maximize Connor. He's better suited playing the Connor role with a lesser offensive talent on the 2nd line.

McDavid-Draisiatl
Hall-RNH

That would be a damn solid top 6 to build around.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
They played together at Biosteel and then pretty much the entire preseason and then the start of the regular season IIRC. Hall wants the puck on his stick too often to maximize Connor. He's better suited playing the Connor role with a lesser offensive talent on the 2nd line.

McDavid-Draisiatl
Hall-RNH

That would be a damn solid top 6 to build around.

I don't know why, but I have this feeling that Hall is actually going to sign with Edmonton.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
For whatever it's worth. I expect to be called out. I'm just the messenger.

I have a friend who is well connected in the hockey world. Good friends with a few scouts and played with Gerald Gallant, Alan MacIssac in Chicago (senior vice president) and still remains friends. Any time I have ever needed tickets, he has always gotten them for me. He even got me tickets to the Bell Center that were Guy Lafleurs. I have the envelope at home.
He informed yesterday that Hunter has been asked to take an interview and he has agreed to an interview once his season is over.
As I said, I expect to be called out. I'm just reporting what was told to me. I'm onboard with Hunter. I think he will gut the office. He is a Hunter. I actually think Bob will step down

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

I have a friend who is well connected in the hockey world. Good friends with a few scouts and played with Gerald Gallant, Alan MacIssac in Chicago (senior vice president) and still remains friends. Any time I have ever needed tickets, he has always gotten them for me. He even got me tickets to the Bell Center that were Guy Lafleurs. I have the envelope at home.
He informed yesterday that Hunter has been asked to take an interview and he has agreed to an interview once his season is over.
As I said, I expect to be called out. I'm just reporting what was told to me. I'm onboard with Hunter. I think he will gut the office. He is a Hunter. I actually think Bob will step down

Why would you expect to be called out? Mark Hunter has been well speculated to be in the running to the very end, unless he didn't want the job.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Why would you expect to be called out? Mark Hunter has been well speculated to be in the running to the very end, unless he didn't want the job.

There's never really any question that Mark Hunter will be interviewed. Nicholson has commited to a wide sweep and Hunter was a short list candidate from the start.

So yeah, @Oilers in NS, no reason to fear being called out for this.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Lol, no reason to get called out on this. I damn near rather call you out for being so passive

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
For how much and where does the cap space come from given our current situation and knowing that we need a top pairing defenseman in the meantime.
First let me say that I am not expecting Hall back. That said the Oilers cap situation opens up a lot the year Hall's new deal would be in place. They could easily fit him in at say $9.7M that year.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

They would have been foolish not to want to look at Hunter. The interesting part of this if your friend is accurate is that Hunter has agreed to meet with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->