Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: This is the Sound of Silence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
After watching the Ottawa game yesterday and reading what their owner had to say I think RNH would be a perfect fit for them. Young enough mature enough and decent cost. Young players need a vet that is good (opposite of what Oilers have had) and Ottawa is going to have WAY too many young guys.

I want 2 medium wingers one being Tkachuk. Or Tkachuk and a 3rd line centre. Maybe a larger deal.

Trade our 1st round pick, Lucic, possibly Nurse (must be a good return) for needs somewhere. Puljujärvi should stay unless he ends up paired with an old teammate (Aho etc.) so we can get better value. Larsson is a maybe depending what his issue is (we may not be privy to truth).

I don't think Benning is a problem (had to throw that in) .
Explain that trade from Ottawa's perspective please.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I honestly cannot tell if you're joking or not.
Nothing funny about adding a guy that plays 3+ minutes a night on two of the best PK's in the league(NJ #3 and Dallas #5). Is he the sexy #1 dman that can put up up 40+ points too? Nope. Those players either don't want to come here or just arent available

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Rookie RNH was worth 3 Tkachuks (assuming it's Brady)
No, no he wasn't worth 3 Brady Tkachuks. And today's version is nowhere near even one Brady Tkachuk. He is their #1 building block, followed by Chabot.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Lol the 3 Tkachuks thing was a joke bud take it easy. Rookie RNH was worth significantly more than current rookie Brady Tkachuk is though.
Didn't realize it was a joke, but I'm not upset, not worries. And I think you are over-rating RNH from my memory of him. I really like him, but Brady is really built for this league, and I see a huge upside for him. Ottawa has a real gem there.

Reactions: harpoon

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Didn't realize it was a joke, but I'm not upset, not worries. And I think you are over-rating RNH from my memory of him. I really like him, but Brady is really built for this league, and I see a huge upside for him. Ottawa has a real gem there.

RNH was the 1st overall pick. He was viewed as a future top line two-way center. He also had a great rookie season, on pace for 70 points.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton

RNH was on a 69 point pace as a rookie centerman in a lower scoring league wheras Brady is on a 50 point pace in a higher scoring league. RNH was f***ing good as a rookie, he was seen as a surefire #1C at 19 years old.
I am a fan of brady though I think he will have a lot of success

Reactions: ujju2 and MessierII

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I don't really understand this, so Strome looks better on the Rangers? Well Gagner has looked 10 times the player here than Strome was for us.

Yeah I was upset with the trade too but he with our wing depth he was never going to do good offensively here. And he didnt look as good on RW when tried in the top 6 last season. I prefer Gags also.

space321

May 11, 2011
Nothing funny about adding a guy that plays 3+ minutes a night on two of the best PK's in the league(NJ #3 and Dallas #5). Is he the sexy #1 dman that can put up up 40+ points too? Nope. Those players either don't want to come here or just arent available

Uhm... you realize Ben Lovejoy is the exact type of Dman we don't need more of right? "Defensive", "penalty killer", those were all labels assigned to Larsson and Russell and those types of dmen are being phased out. A penalty kill is hugely dependent on the system instead of just a single defenseman.

Also Ben Lovejoy is 35 years old. You want to give 3.5M per year for 3 years to a 35 year old bottom pairing dman? That's like Chiarelli level of talent evaluation.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Dump looch Nab fabbri and huberdeau without moving jp and call her a day.

Also dump russell and kassian and sign pavelski somehow

Hubey-mcdavid-pavelski
Fabbri-drai-pulju
Currie-rnh-yamamoto
Khaira-cave-rattie

Anything less means a ticket to bubbletown

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Dump looch Nab fabbri and huberdeau without moving jp and call her a day.

Also dump russell and kassian and sign pavelski somehow

Hubey-mcdavid-pavelski
Fabbri-drai-pulju
Currie-rnh-yamamoto
Khaira-cave-rattie

Anything less means a ticket to bubbletown

Where are you fitting all those big salaries in? And who’s moving out to obtain them? “Dumping” Looch and Russell? Not sure what that means or how you plan on doing it. This isn’t one of your computer games.

As for dumping Kassian, why would you want to do that?

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
We could have had Gagner off waivers. The Strome trade was beyond stupid.

Gagner on waivers would have been worse for the Oilers than Gagner for Spooner/Strome because of the money involved. The Oilers did not acquire Gagner because they love Gagner, they did it because Spooner was useless (and Strome before him) and needed to take money to move that money.

Strome at 3C generated no offense. Almost legitimately none. At wing in the top-six, as he has been playing in New York, he generates the same mediocre 30 point pace he did on the Island and here last season. The only good argument for keeping him IMO is that his buyout is more favorable than Gagner's.

Of ALL the things to harp on where the Oilers are concerned, Ryan Strome is not on the list IMO. He's a mediocre player that was not part of any solution for the Oilers.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
We couldn't take in Gagner without moving salary.

Think we could have still with the LTIR. Actually, I think having Gagner earlier would have tied Chia's hands from being able to get Manning and Petrovic, hehe. Then do the same thing to make the room for Sek, trading Talbot.

Like Gagner as a 4th liner and winger higher up the lineup. But, Strome is definitely a move useful hockey player at this point of their careers. Hitch would have liked him. Shame we did that trade before the coaching change. hitch has been begging for a reliable 3rd C option his entire time here.

Reactions: yukoner88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad