Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Seriously Chia. We need wingers

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Not a second plus a decent prospect.

Well, it depends on your definition of "decent" but I'd be shocked if he didn't return at the very minimum, a 2nd. I don't buy that the Islanders will deal him anyway, they are in the thick of a playoff race.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
How are they in the same situation outside of waiver status?
One is 2 years older and is just starting to gain traction in the AHL in his draft+5 season while the other is 20 and is in his draft+3 season. If Pulju is still struggling in 2 years then he and Dal Colle will be in the same situation.

I'm not saying that Pulju has a ton of value but Dal Colle is dangerously close to being waiver fodder. This recent hot streak in the AHL was his last gasp effort to stay in that organization.
Your assessment of MDC is accurate. You probably could have traded a mid round pick for him last summer. This is it for him.

But they're both very close to being waiver fodder. Puljujarvi most definitely has two more years of development, but he's a guy you need to commit scoring line minutes to at the NHL at the expense of someone who may be better suited for the role. How long do you think the Oilers make that commitment for?

I find myself defending JP in game threads because my expectations of him are very low, while others still have much higher expectations. I think this guy is trending towards being a 6'4 version of Zach Hyman if he puts things together--and he's still not really putting them together.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think you may be in for a surprised. I have a feeling you’ll be wiping some egg off your face.
In all honesty, I certainly hope so. But prospects that fail to improve almost always return similarly struggling prospects.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Your assessment of MDC is accurate. You probably could have traded a mid round pick for him last summer. This is it for him.

But they're both very close to being waiver fodder. Puljujarvi most definitely has two more years of development, but he's a guy you need to commit scoring line minutes to at the NHL at the expense of someone who may be better suited for the role. How long do you think the Oilers make that commitment for?

I find myself defending JP in game threads because my expectations of him are very low, while others still have much higher expectations. I think this guy is trending towards being a 6'4 version of Zach Hyman if he puts things together--and he's still not really putting them together.

Puljujarvi isn't close to waiver fodder. When has a team ever waived a 20 year old highly drafted prospect?

How do we know what role he's suited for? He's been bounced around the lineup and back and forth between the NHL and AHL for two and a half seasons so I don't know how anyone can say with any certainty what his role will be going forward.

I'm not dealing him now because I don't see the point in dealing him for a reclamation project. I'd rather see it through with him then deal him for a 3rd rounder like Yak in a couple of years if he still can't gain any traction. I don't see the purpose of dealing him for Dal Colle, a player who is even closer to being a bust.
I'm aware that Eberle at 50% retention and Benning were added in, but the meat of that deal would be Dal Colle for Pulju. I can't get on board with that.

Reactions: North

North

Jun 25, 2009
Puljujarvi isn't close to waiver fodder. When has a team ever waived a 20 year old highly drafted prospect?

How do we know what role he's suited for? He's been bounced around the lineup and back and forth between the NHL and AHL for two and a half seasons so I don't know how anyone can say with any certainty what his role will be going forward.

I'm not dealing him now because I don't see the point in dealing him for a reclamation project. I'd rather see it through with him then deal him for a 3rd rounder like Yak in a couple of years if he still can't gain any traction. I don't see the purpose of dealing him for Dal Colle, a player who is even closer to being a bust.
I'm aware that Eberle at 50% retention and Benning were added in, but the meat of that deal would be Dal Colle for Pulju. I can't get on board with that.

Exactly. This is basically what I’ve been saying from the start.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Spooner and Bear for Eberle

Benning for Maroon

Maroon-McDavid-Drai
Chiasson-Nuge-Eberle
Rieder-Khaira-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Brodziak-Kassian

Klef-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Sekera-Gravel/Petro/Manning

***When Healthy***

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Even if you think Puljujarvi is MDC 2.0, why the hell would you make that trade?

Just wait it out and hope that Jesse proves you wrong in the 2 years he's got before he hits that point.

Reactions: North

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Spooner and Bear for Eberle

Benning for Maroon

Maroon-McDavid-Drai
Chiasson-Nuge-Eberle
Rieder-Khaira-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Brodziak-Kassian

Klef-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Sekera-Gravel/Petro/Manning

***When Healthy***
I'd trade Spooner straight up for Eberle, wouldn't give up anything of value for him though.

Benning for Maroon is something I've wondered about, but I don't know if STL has room for Benning. I'd give a late pick for Maroon though

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

That's absolutely fine. I agree you don't waive him, but I don't think there's a heck of a lot we can do with him next season if he comes to camp the same player. Personally, I'm leaning towards sending him home for a year. If we don't, it's either trade him for minimal value at that point or watch him struggle until he either figures it out or we decide to pull the plug.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
I doubt Chia would entertain the idea of Eberle....it would make himself look even more dumb.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
No, I do you look at his stat sheet and pretend like your eyes don't work when he is actually on the ice. The guy is Steve Staios bad with his constant knee jerk rims around the boards when no one is around him that get picked off or his inability to skate that is on par with Gryba who by all accounts will never be a regular in an NHL line up again. You ***** about lack of offensive depth in the line up whining about playings not contributing on the scoreboard guess what I want out of a number 6 at the very least? capable defending and he doesn't do that. Hell the guys only goal this year was a shot that missed the net and than bounced in off the goalies skate.

Steve Staios is actually a decent comparable. At the same age Staios had played 152 games with 6 goals and 24 points but was struggling to get into every game. They are both right shots and similar size. Staios ended up playing 1001 NHL games with 220 points delivering average to decent 4-6 defense level hockey. I'm pretty sure many teams in the NHL would consider taking a flyer on a player with Steve Staios level up side. The only part that may devalue him a bit is that he is probably about half a million dollars overpaid.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
so the latest demand from some fans for Lucic's contract is 2 first and Pool party--

we are better just to buy the guy out
Or leaving him on the roster and letting him do whatever he can do. If he plays like he did against LA anymore, plant his ass in the pressbox. Why would another team want him right now?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
so the latest demand from some fans for Lucic's contract is 2 first and Pool party--

we are better just to buy the guy out

It's pretty sad that we're basically at the point where absorbing a $19M cap hit over the next four years for him not play could be preferable than just playing him on the 4th or finding a way to dump him onto another team.

The reality is that getting rid of him even at 50% retained is the best option fiscally, but even then who would take him and I'm not sure how retained salary works on his goofy contract structure. But realistically would anyone even want him at $2.0-3.0M over the next four years. I doubt it.

Furthermore, due to ill advised buyout timing on Pouliot and Gryba's contract, they can only buyout one contract this summer and Spooner's contract may be the better option in terms of overall cap savings.

Last edited:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
bench him and buy him out

but the assets being asked by fans from us to move him is too much
He's buyout proof. There'd be pretty much no benefit. But yes, people aren't going to be lining up to take on that contract. I'm not sure why people feel the need to constantly discuss it.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
He's buyout proof. There'd be pretty much no benefit. But yes, people aren't going to be lining up to take on that contract. I'm not sure why people feel the need to constantly discuss it.

No, just minimal cap savings. If you feel a league min player could be more effective in the line-up than Looch then it makes sense to buy him out.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
No, just minimal cap savings. If you feel a league min player could be more effective in the line-up than Looch then it makes sense to buy him out.

The best cap savings years for him are 2019-20 and 2021-22. But don't even save the minimum contract amount in 2020-21 or 2022-23, but overall there would be $5M in savings over 4 years, so yeah pretty much it's worth it if you think you can better out of a league minimum contract when factoring the $2.5M hit we'd absorb over years 5-8.

I didn't think it was possible to do so, but if he finishes off as he's gone the last 80+ games, it could still be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad